Thread: July chitchat

Threaded View

Distinguished Community Member

Every garden I had was susceptible to critters and insects. I didnt use pesticides. I tried to use the organic controls, like ladybugs, parasitic wasps which helped some. But the yields on my crops except for the herbs was pretty low. Maybe it was partly due to it being in large pots. Really really large pots.

But if I put it in the ground, I. Think I would have to put an electric fence around it to zap raccoons, and hardware cloth under it to keep the raccoons from burrowing under through tunnels they dug. I did that for my chickens and it did the trick. But, I guess the motivation wasnt high enough for the plants.

Now a days, I am not capable of growing things in the ground, I canít get down low enough. We had a raised planter, but had to dismantle it for the hurricane season: it was so much work, we swore that was the end of that: Its yield was below par except for the herbs. And we had to put it in our screeened in pool house: plenty of sun, but the mess was everywhere, and not quite as much sun as Iw old like.

Right now I have an aerogarden , an indoor hydroponic set up. The yield for herbs is high. I havenít tried the lettuce and the tomatoes, but i suspect it would not have high enough yield to truly feed us.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"