Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: July chitchat

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Jeanie ~

Keeping you in my prayers and hoping that you are able to rest and sleep as much as possible through the pain. I also pray for more efficacy with your meds.

Sunshine2 ~

Thank you so much for this suggestion! That looks like something, which would definitely meet my needs. I learned to type at an early age on an old fashioned Royal manual typewriter. I've been through every iteration of typing/keyboards since then. But the iPad keyboard is just cumbersome and annoying. What usually takes me 10 minutes to type on the computer keyboard takes me 30 minutes to type on the iPad. I think I would improve if I used it more often, but I would really benefit from the keyboard you are describing.

What you described about your mammogram experience is why I will not make any medical appointments for myself right now. Or possibly ever. And I need everything, because I have neglected doctor, dentist, optometrist, testing, etc., because Jon and Jim came first. There were times, when I would think that I would take care of all of those things, when they no longer needed me.

And here we are in the middle of a pandemic, so that puts the kibosh on that for me. I am so terrified of getting COVID for a variety of reasons.

People must be rigid about safety, wearing a mask, gloves, not touching anything in their proximity, even if it has been (or we hope it has been wiped down with disinfectant).

I've been in ICU and ER too many times to count, and I've watched the protocol for keeping the room and corridors clean. I've seen nurses drop a suction catheter on the floor, pick it up and put it back on my son's IV pole. Or drop something else on the floor and throw it away, then approach my son's IV site with the same gloves. Spending 45 days in ICU with Jon, I watched as every room had and MRSA cart in front of it. Isolation. Of course Jon had MRSA, as did Michael. And everyone else on the unit.

I guarantee you that none of those items were ever used on Jon or Michael. I was there. They brought in clean catheters and changed their gloves. And Jim and I wiped down their rooms and equipment with disinfectant wipes constantly.

So, I'm skeptical of the attention to detail with cleaning associated with any medical or public place right now. Particularly where the virus is surging, like California. I watched the Governor's press conference today, and he admitted that the state opened too soon, and some places stretched the boundaries.

He was in a warehouse filled with boxes of PPE. As he closed, he was nearly in tears. He told us that he is a native Californian, that he loves every one of us, that he prays for us, grieves with those who have lost loved ones, and that he will do everything he can to get this under control. He asked us to do all that we can too. We must accept that this is our situation, and that it affects all of us around the world. We have to be willing to protect each other as well as ourselves.

Let's all do what we can to remain safe and healthy. I pray for all of you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Today on the online news was the first time I've seen Trump wearing a mask. It was about time if for no other reason, to remind the American people of just how important it is.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Isn’t it interesting how you know that, Howie, and he does not.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Ann, here's how my mind works. They already have a vaccine, and the "important people" have already been vaccinated, but they let it spread thru the masses to thin out the populations.

Then someone explained to Trump how he should wear a mask in public, so no one figures out they already have a vaccine.

Welcome to the dark place that is "Howie's World". Muahahahaha!!!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I emailed a note to the radiology building (big one, owned by big hospital) about my concerns. And I added that the secretary cleans the electronic pen before giving it to you to sign a pad (I still used a tissue to hold it), but then she gives you paper on an uncleaned clipboard.

The woman heard all of my concerns and agreed. She described what she has done thus far to improve the situation. One must always speak up and self protect, as does Rose.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Well done, Sunshine.

Howie, I don’t have any conspiracy theories but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

"Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't".
    Last edited by Howie; 07-23-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The CDC has just issued new guidelines for handling COVID-19, and glancing over the material about retirement communities (such as the one I'm in), I find that residents are even having their anxiety levels considered. For instance, there is this:

Encourage workers and residents to take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media, if they are feeling overwhelmed or distressed.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

In my state, and probably everywhere, they say the virus is spreading fastest, and killing folks the most, in retirement communities. So you be careful Agate.

I just got myself motivated (and that's not an easy thing to do these days) and made a dump, bank, and store run. I should be good until the end of the month.

And yes, I wore a mask, I always do these days. I have some ordered, and expected them to be in my mailbox today, but not yet. But I still have some I haven't used yet.

Everyone have a pleasant evening!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Sunshine ~

Good for you!! Everyone should report any lack of cleaning, masks, gloves and protective gear needed in any setting, but especially in a medical facility. There is no excuse for them to be lax in any way. The problem arises, when people don't pay attention or don't think about the dangers involved to them and others.

Once, I reported a Respiratory Therapist, who entered Jon's room to suction him, without changing his mask, gloves, and the hospital patient robe he was wearing. He didn't wear the yellow protective gown available in the hallway prior to entering his room. I told him to leave and not return. The nurses told me that he was an arrogant guy, which was obvious. I spoke to the head of RT, and she was appalled. A few days later, I learned that he'd been fired.

Jon had me or Jim there day and night, so we saw everything. Most patients didn't have a loved one at their side constantly. And most people are intimidated, because they don't know the proper protocol, and they're under stress.

I can't even imagine the precautions needed in treating COVID patients, and we just have to pray that they have all of the PPE they need.

So, I applaud you for speaking up, Sunshine.

Howie ~

You make a valid point.

DT has been surrounded by people, who have COVID, including the butler/valet, who served his meals and his Secret Service agents. Then, there are all of the rallies and public contact he's had without a mask. Remember not long ago, when he said that he'd been taking hydroxychloroquine? When called out on it, he said, "Oh, I stopped taking it."

At his age, and with his diet and obesity, he should be vulnerable to every germ.

So ... hmmm ... ???? Why? I'm not saying you're right, just ... hmmm ...

agate ~

That reminds me of the adage: Ignorance is bliss.

Or how about this one: Closing the barn door, after the horses have escaped.

We don't need to be listening to politicians. We need to listen to doctors and scientists, experts in communicable, infectious diseases, nurses, etc. COVID is here, and it is not magically disappearing in the summer heat, as we were promised a few months ago by a politician.

I think we need to make informed decisions and choices. Just because we don't watch the news doesn't mean that we won't still be terrified of this horrific disease. Not knowing facts leads us to imagine our own scenarios. I try to limit my exposure to news coverage on all of the tragedies in our country now. But that doesn't really lessen my fears.

I wish I lived in New Zealand. Their Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, got a handle on COVID immediately, and they are back to normal there.

One last thing: Gloves. Get some boxes of gloves and wear them when you go out anywhere. Instead of using a tissue for the pen, you could have worn gloves, then discarded them after signing, Sunshine. Please everyone carry gloves with you in your purse, pockets, put some in a little Zip Lock bag and carry them with you. Grocery store, ATM, money handling, just everything we touch is covered in germs. Not just COVID, but hundreds of germs.

I buy them by the case. I use them when I carry in and unload my Instacart order, and then wipe down everything, when I put out the trash bins, to open my mailbox and get my mail, to open my mail, to water my outdoor plants, just everything. The money you spend on gloves saves money you spend on sanitizer and wear and tear on your hands washing them. It's worth it.

Prayers for and love to all ~ be well, be safe. I love you!

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast