Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: July chitchat

Distinguished Community Member

Ann, it was Kristen Hannah that wrote the book I read. Hope this information is not too late for you. I had MS fatigue so bad I was not able to even get on the computer yesterday and not much Friday. Better today.

Jeanie, about Valtrex and shingles. First of all, according to my Doctor, you have to take the Valtrex just as soon as shingles starts in order for it to be even somewhat effective. I was able to do that, but still I was in a lot of pain. I saw my Doctor for a second visit one week after the shingles started. I asked for more Valtrex and she explained to me that after you have had a full course of it, then it is no longer any good to take it. It has done all it will do. That is when she started me on Gabapentin. I took Tramadol at the same time I was taking Valtrex. I don't know what strength Gabapentin Andy gave you. My Doctor only gave me 100mg 3 times per day. That is a mild dose, but this is a drug that your body has to get use to. You can take more, but I am very concerned about you doing that while you are alone. With your walking difficulties I worry a lot.

Agate, you can have shingles over and over. That is the reason that as soon as it was safe for me to do it I went and had the first dose of the vaccine. I think she told me to wait about 3 months after I had the shingles, so I did. Then 4 months later I went for the 2nd dose. I feel much more comfortable now that I have had the vaccines. I read that you not only can have it over and over, but are a little more likely to after you have had your first case. I lost some of my eyebrows on the left side of my face and they did not come back. For a very long time I had scars on the upper left side of my face, from my hairline down to my eyebrows and some around my eyes. The only place that I can tell that didn't go away was in my eyebrow. It sounds like it is following the nerve around the side of Jeanie's body.

My husband had shingles that went all around one side like Jeanie when he was 38 years old. He said it was the most painful thing he had ever had. This was before Valtrex was given. All I could do for him was give him a pain pill. He slept in a separate room during that time because in the beginning shingles can be somewhat transmissible. I know when I had it on my face I thought it was just awful and I dealt with it for a long time. I think I saw my eye doctor about 3 times during that time and my PCP about the same.

Jeanie, I know that you are suffering greatly and having had it and watched my husband have it I do know how bad the pain is. I hope you will call your Doctor tomorrow and ask about the strength of Gabapentin Andy gave you. Also, remind your Doctor that you have really bad walking problems. It is going to take you quite some time to get over this. You might also want to ask your Doctor what you can expect. Some people have milder cases than others, but it sounds like you are having a really bad case.
    Virginia

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Agate, I hope you will keep as much distance as possible from the neighbor that acted so ugly to you. Even though she apologized, which is a good thing, you never know when a person like that will flare off the handle again. Anyone can loose their temper and get angry, but to yell and use curse words is a different thing. Most people have a little more control than that.

Jendie, it is really good to see you on the board again. We miss you when you are not around.

Rose, so good to see you posting.

Howie, glad you got your computer problems straightened out. It has brutally hot here and it sounds like it is where you are. I am glad you do not have to go out for a little while.

Tomorrow I have a hair appointment and Thursday I have a Doctor's appointment. I had the appointment with the Doctor back in April and after COVID19 started to get worse in late March they called and put it off until July. Now it is so much worse, but I really know that I need to keep this appointment. Hope they have all the precautions in place and I feel that they will.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Valtrex, Tramadol, Gabapentin, these are all drugs I have taken, and still take the Gabapentin, but not for Shingles. I hope I never have Shingles. That is more suffering than I want any part of, knock on wood!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) The Gabapentum and Tramadol finally kicked it. I slept from 10:30 to midnight, up to pee then back to bed after another dose of both. I slept from midnight until 6 AM. That is the longest sleep I have had in ages.

I feel better this morning after I took another dose at 6. It is wonderful to not have the severe pain. Just a twitch now and then. I am hoping some of the raw meat looking places will heal over so the pains lessen.

About walking, I do not walk. I use the scooter for everything. I only transfer. Jendie how long did it take for your Shingles to go away? I am hoping it goes away soon. Jeanie :)
    Last edited by Jeanie Z; 07-19-2020 at 01:41 PM. Reason: add a sentence.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Jeanie, glad you got some rest. I was aware that you did not get up and walk, however I thought you had to take a couple of steps to transfer. But I know you know to take care of yourself while on the medication.

Getting even a few hours of relief from the pain is good. Cat Dancer told me she had it several times. She was on Gabapentin for the itching which starts after the pain usually. She had it one time on her shoulder and would wake to find she had scratched herself so bad she was bleeding. I had real bad itching and did not want to scratch myself since it was on my face.

Maybe you will end up having a lighter case than it seemed. I really do hope so.
    Virginia

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Hi everyone!

My PT Cruiser was just picked up to go in the shop. I'm trapped at home. Send help!

I think I told you the problem I had getting home from the grocery store the other day. Well, HOPEFULLY this guy can fix it. I've never dealt with him, but he came highly recommended by my sister, so I trust he will do a good job.

I have groceries to last until I am mobile again. If not, Sam has gotten pretty large lately. That would feed me for a while, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I've gotten pretty fond of her.

Everyone have a great day!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Jeanie ~

Such good news that you have relief and were able to sleep. May that continue for you! My prayers are continuing for your healing and strength.

Howie ~

I hope that you get your PT Cruiser back soon and that the repair isn't too costly.

Sending healing prayers and positive energy to all!

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Howie, Sam may start looking at one of your legs and start salivating. That is what you need to worry about. Hope the PT cruiser gets fixed for good this time. Ridiculous!

I had my special tonight and of course will have it again tomorrow night. Surprised Sunshine has not fixed this. I don't do it at home because I don't have a way to grill. Also, for one person the ingredients would cost as much as sending out for it. It would be easy though I think. They had red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, a little grated carrots, some purple onion, some cranberries, pine nuts and whole half walnuts in the salad, topped with feta cheese. They put the salmon and raspberry vinaigrette dressing in separate containers. I just didn't have anything I wanted to eat tonight. I think it is the hot weather.

I went to get my hair cut yesterday and it was 98 degrees with heat index of over 100. Today about 1PM it was 97 and I don't know what the heat index was, but probably like yesterday. I wish I didn't have that doctor's appointment Thursday, but I do. We are truly in a heat wave here.

Hope everyone's weather is better than mine and that all of you are doing well.
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Rose, we were posting at the same time. Hope all is well (as can be) with you and I hope John stops by Thursday and stays awhile so you will have some company.

I had planned to call Joan's husband today, but just didn't seem to get much of anything done and then the time slipped up on me. I know it is 3 hours earlier where he is, but I was afraid of interrupting his dinner. I don't know what time he eats. Joan use to eat just whenever she felt like it. I would say isn't it time for you to eat your dinner and she would just kind of ignore it and say something like "Oh, I can eat anytime". Then she would keep talking. She could be funny. Of course she didn't have to fix it since David did that.
    Virginia

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Howie, Sam may start looking at one of your legs and start salivating. That is what you need to worry about. Hope the PT cruiser gets fixed for good this time. Ridiculous!

I had my special tonight and of course will have it again tomorrow night. Surprised Sunshine has not fixed this. I don't do it at home because I don't have a way to grill. Also, for one person the ingredients would cost as much as sending out for it. It would be easy though I think. They had red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, a little grated carrots, some purple onion, some cranberries, pine nuts and whole half walnuts in the salad, topped with feta cheese. They put the salmon and raspberry vinaigrette dressing in separate containers. I just didn't have anything I wanted to eat tonight. I think it is the hot weather.

I went to get my hair cut yesterday and it was 98 degrees with heat index of over 100. Today about 1PM it was 97 and I don't know what the heat index was, but probably like yesterday. I wish I didn't have that doctor's appointment Thursday, but I do. We are truly in a heat wave here.

Hope everyone's weather is better than mine and that all of you are doing well.
    You can ditch the pine nuts, they are very expensive. You won’t miss them. You could try a bit of raspberry jam whisked in the vinegarette if its the raspberries that are pricey. Or buy a bag of frozen raspberries, use some for the dish, save the rest for different times. They last a long time as theyre frozen. .... easy to defrost by holding under hot running water in a colander. Watch it, dont want them to get too mushy :)

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast