Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There's even a shortage of coins

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default There's even a shortage of coins

The coronavirus has caused a shortage of coins, as I found when I requested a roll of quarters (for laundry) and was told I couldn't get one.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rs/3230828001/
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Wow! I guess that changes the meanings of these old adages:

A penny for your thoughts.

My two cents worth.

Not worth a wooden nickel.

Those things are a dime a dozen.

A couple of loads of laundry will cost you two bits.

We've been saving our spare change for many years. Maybe I should contribute them to the U.S. Treasury to refill the coffers.

Pretty soon, we'll be relying on Bit Coins. Whatever they are ...

I wonder how long it will be, before things begin to get better. COVID is now surging in several states. It isn't going to go away by magic, or the summer heat, or pretending that it doesn't exist or isn't as bad as it is. The re-openings make me nervous.

John visited to fix my closet rod today, and he showed me pictures/videos on his phone of his vacation with his family. They went to a restaurant and ate inside. His sister, niece and daughter work in a downtown salon. It has reopened. His daughter's job is to check the temperature of everyone, before they can enter the salon.

I said, "You know, people can have COVID and be asymptomatic, meaning they don't have a temperature?"

"Yeah, I know ..." he replied.

I had been thinking a long time about inviting his niece to come to my home to cut my hair, and now I absolutely will not do that.

So, a few days ago, I cut 3 inches off of my hair. I followed a YouTube video. It's fine and better than it was as far as my ability to tolerate and manage it. I'm at home all of the time, and my appearance isn't really important. And I'd rather have a bad haircut or hair down to my knees than get COVID-19.

Probably because I have been isolated for so many years, I don't feel the urgency to be outside or among the public. It's also why I fear everyone, who comes into my home or close to my personal space. After John left, I wiped down everything he touched with disinfectant.

For most people in the world, this is a "new normal." For me, it is simply normal. In our home, a cold, the flu, or a stomach virus would have devastated us, so we were vigilant about germ control.

It is difficult for all of us to live through this pandemic, and the fact that you can't get quarters to do your laundry, agate, just reveals how unprepared we are for it.

Just like we are unprepared for natural disasters, like hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, floods, fires ...

We only know "this much," and there is so much more we need to know.

Every one of us needs to: Be well. Be safe. Be strong.

You and your loved ones are in my prayers.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I went to my doctor's office to pick up a new script, then to the grocery store, and both times, I wore a mask. You know something I discovered, those things are HOT. It's your own breath that heats them up, but it still is very uncomfortable. I'll be glad when this is over!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

We may have to take up a collection of quarters so Agate can sleep on clean sheets and have clean clothes to wear.

Howie, you can take it off one ear or pull it down when you are in your car by yourself. But yes they are not the most comfortable things in the world, but so much better than so many people getting sick or dieing. Today was highest count of COVID19 cases to date.

My State has been going up and California, especially Los Angeles County, is going up. Texas and Florida are real bad. Marco Rubio finally said, "Wear a Damn Mask". and I said "Good for you Marco".
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went to my doctor's office to pick up a new script, then to the grocery store, and both times, I wore a mask. You know something I discovered, those things are HOT. It's your own breath that heats them up, but it still is very uncomfortable. I'll be glad when this is over!
    I agree, Howie, masks are hot and very cloistering. I feel so uncomfortable wearing them. I've tried severel different kinds, even one with a valve, but, it's no better, maybe because there's a filter in it, too. But, there's no way I wouldn't wear one now. I have a policy now too that I can't touch my face or mask while I'm out, not until I'm home again and can wash my hands right away. So, I try not to even adjust it for breathing while I'm in my car between stops.

It makes me hurry when I'm out, get what I need and quickly come home.

This virus is nothing to take chances with. I'm rethinking going to get a haircut now too, what with all the rapid increases in covid #'s all over. Like Rose, I am really not going anywhere of interest and can wait if I really need to. But, I sure would feel better with a fresh cut and color. Then again, it's not worth gettibg sick over, and masks aren't strongly protective of the wearer, either. Which only makes me more irritated seeing so few other people wearing them while I'm suffering with wearing one for the benefit of others.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'm finding that some masks are hotter than others. It might be good to try out several types.

Rose, you cut 3 inches off your hair? There's no way that my hair would ever grow 3 inches. So far my hair has been getting byt by with just an occasional snip around the edges. The back looks terrible but the woman who was cutting my hair didn't know how to do the back at all anyway. Still, she was better than I would be. She came to this building regularly, and every other month I signed up for her to cut my hair.

I gave up on beauty shops in the early 1980s even though they'd been a fixture all my life up to then (permanents and cuts). It was too hard to get there with the wheelchair, it was very costly, and very uncomfortable. Having to lie on my back with my head tilted back was agony, and the dryer heat was difficult too. I was so thrilled when this woman hairdresser became available here a few years ago but I doubt she'll ever come back now. She rides the bus to get here and doesn't want to come on account of COVID-19 now.

Rose, I 'd like to add to your list of old adages that will need revision soon:

Shave and a haircut--two bits

Some time ago a neighbor taught me this. It's the rhythm of it--if you tap it out as you knock on someone's door, it's useful as a signal that it's "your" knock, and the person on the other side of the door will immediately know it's you. It's been quite a while since a shave and a haircut could be had for two bits....but now there aren't even any "bits" to be had.

I can use a debit card to do laundry but it's tricky and doesn't work well at all.

I signed up for a ride with the paratransit system, all prepared to use my paper tickets as usual, but was told I can't use them. They will bill me for the rides each month.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Agate, do you feel the paratransit vehicles are safe, as far as the virus goes. I don't want to have to ride on any public transportation right now.

Suze, I am glad right now that I have the lady I have who cuts and colors my hair. In a room by herself, one customer at the time, she wears a mask and I wear a mask and disposable gloves. When I got ready to leave Monday, she knew I was going to the grocery store and she gave me a fresh pair of gloves. When she goes anywhere that she has touched anything like grocery carts or cans in the grocery store, she goes to her car loads it, gets behind her wheel, squirts her hands with sanitizer (which she keeps in her car) and not only sanitizes her hands she then uses some and quickly runs around her steering wheel. She was telling me I should do the same thing. She is energetic and nearly went crazy being out of work, but she says there is no way she is going to risk herself.

Listening to all of you and talking to you helps to make me a little less lonely. I do not go anywhere or see anyone. My brother and his wife are going to get my groceries next week. I might order another meal to be brought to me tomorrow night or Saturday night. It is "no contact" delivery.

A neighbor sent me 3 avocados this morning. Someone she knew was going out of town and gave them to her and she doesn't like them, so she sent them to me.

By the way, I can't see well out of my glasses anymore. It is driving me nuts. I need to go to the eye Doctor, however even if I felt comfortable going to him and I happen to know he would be very careful, but I know I need new glasses and then I would have to get them fitted elsewhere. I also need new frames and would need to try them on. My frames have about had it. I had planned to get some new ones this past March. I was so looking forward to it, but we all know what happened.
    Virginia

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia, the paratransit vehicles here have a new policy: one rider at a time. That's only temporary of course but for the time being it means a far easier ride arrangement for me. No two-hour rides all over the map while others are picked up or dropped off. Just the driver and me in that vehicle.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Well, at least one thing on the brighter side Agate!
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Well, I have a car, well actually two counting Pinky, but only drive to get groceries, and to see the doctor. My car is a 2005, and just has hit the 30,000 mile mark. I don't drive much, but can't see me giving up driving....knock on wood.

Wearing a mask is more from protection of others, than for yourself. There are people who have the virus, but have no symptoms. I could be one, so I wear the mask to protect others, as well as myself.

Such a weird disease, like MS is.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast