Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: There's even a shortage of coins

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Our 1998 van has a little over 28,000 miles on it. Jim used to take it in every year or two for a complete service. It's overdo, so I'll probably ask John to help me get it serviced and a smog check fairly soon. (Smog check: In California, every other year, some vehicles have to pass a smog check to renew registration. The smog check has to be done at a certified smog check station.)

AAA replaced the battery, while the van sat in the driveway a couple of years ago. John checks the tires for me regularly. There is small crack in the windshield, which we're watching to make sure it doesn't expand.

This is just a reminder of another of the many things Jim handled and took off of my shoulders for 28 years. I'm so grateful for John's help, which makes the burden less for me.

HAIR

Yes, agate, I cut off 3" of hair. The last time John's niece cut my hair was October 2018. She cut it to my chin line. When I cut it, it was halfway down my back. I pull it up on the sides with combs, then put it in a pony tail with a scrunchie. Either that, or I wear it down and look like an old hippie. That's more age appropriate and accurate; however, it drives me bonkers. One of these days, the scissors will come out again!

MASKS

As for masks, I've been wearing them for so long, they don't bother me. I make sure that I periodically pull them down, when I'm alone, for fresh air. In the hospital, I'd either leave the ICU room for a short walk around the unit, or go outside to breathe fresh air. I don't wear it in the car. I carry one with me on my walks, in case I encounter anyone. In most cases, one of us obliges the other by social distancing anyway.

When I watch protesters or people in crowds with masks on, or masks or face coverings on politicians, etc., and I see that the mask is not covering their nostrils, I just shake my head. Your nose is the first place those droplets are heading toward. Always make sure that your mask covers your nostrils and goes down to your chin, secure on the sides, where the loops are.

The safest mask is one with a metal piece to pinch to keep the mask on and covering your nose.

Masks should be a one use item. After you've been out, throw it away. Once you've taken it off, throw it away. It has absorbed any of the germs to which you might have been exposed.

That's why I don't favor cloth masks. They need to be washed after every wearing, using some kind of germ killing treatment, like vinegar in the wash. The cloth needs to be breathable but still repel droplets. I'm just not convinced this is the best option, but it's better than no face covering at all.

GLOVES

I've been ordering gloves on line for decades for obvious reasons. I have glove boxes everywhere in the house, garage, garden, and van. I put on clean gloves for everything I do. Go to ATM, gloves on/off. Fresh gloves for gas station.

I also wipe down the steering wheel, my key chain, the door handles with alcohol wipes/swabs.

I highly recommend these things to all of you, because this is going to be a long journey for all of us. I've spent a lifetime in germ-filled ERs, ICUs, ambulances, during flu seasons and epidemics, and I survived all of that by being vigilant about masks, gloves, and alcohol wipes.

STAY HOME AND LET THINGS COME TO YOU

And, I believe the experts, who tell us that the best place for us to be is at home, unless we have an urgent need to be in the public.

A few years ago, I discovered Instacart, and it was a life-saver for me, Jon and Jim. I no longer had to leave them to go to the store, which took me 2 hours, then loading, unloading, cleaning everything with alcohol, putting it away. Then taking care of their needs. It was too much.

Today, I placed an Instacart order, and it was delivered in less than 2 hours. That's been a trend lately, as well as having everything I ordered delivered. I will never step foot into a grocery store again, thanks to Instacart.

As you've been discussing delivery services for restaurant food, there's another way that you can be at home, not cook, and be safe.

Just about anything we could ever want can be ordered on line and delivered to our door. I know that is difficult for all of the stores, which are closed to foot traffic. But, in 2020 with a pandemic, everyone has to step up their game and find innovative ways to promote their businesses. As consumers, we can help to make that happen.

Be safe. Be well. Take super good care of yourselves. And know that my prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I have an order in right now for my dinner tonight. I am having blackened salmon salad tossed in raspberry vinaigrette with pine nuts, carrots, dried cranberries,
    walnuts, red onions and feta cheese. The blackened salmon is on top of the salad.

I am looking forward to it. I just didn't want to cook.

Ann, just look what you started with me.
    Virginia

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

To this vegetarian, and aside from the salmon, it sounds yummy! I hope you've enjoyed it by now! And, have leftovers?

Treat yourself! You deserve it!

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Any leftovers, just send them to ol' Howie. Food is a terrible thing to waste.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

There is much leftover salad, enough salmon for another meal, not quite enough dressing but I will make do. So I am all set for tomorrow night's meal. So glad all I have to do is reach in the fridge and maybe heat the salmon a little.

It really was good. I thought it was a little pricy until I realized I had enough for two meals.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Making 2 meals out of it made it 1/2 priced each meal. Not bad and you didn't have to do any cooking yourself!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123