Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: June chitchat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary except that I tried a variant of my usual yogurt--vanilla-flavored Chobani instead of the plain Greek yogurt. It was so good that I'm ordering more of it even though there are a few more calories.

It was a grocery delivery day, and I was in a celebratory mood because this time the store had most of the items--AND the delivery person brought me a birthday present--a coleus plant, which was precisely something I'd been wanting. It's been doing fine and will soon be on its way out to the patio for the summer. I was touched that she remembered--though she probably has many people she delivers for.

I've also treated myself to an order from Amazon Fresh, which came today--several things I haven't been able to get from the regular grocery delivery arrangement very easily. They all got here on time and without any fanfare. The things were left outside my apartment door in a sturdy bag. They didn't knock or ring the bell but notified me by e-mail that it had been delivered.

I'd never tried Amazon Fresh before. It's nice to have another option besides Instacart and the Safeway.

On my birthday there was Facetime with my grandson and his proud parents. I'm very happy that this 2-year-old already likes music.

It was a great birthday, and the weather was perfect.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thank you, Agate. So thoughtful of your delivery person.

Can you say more about Amazon Fresh? Particularly the costs?
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice to see what everyone is up to. John and I have had superb farmers markets so far everyone is just great and follow all the distancing rules.

If I had not read a Washington Post article about the way the government sent out the pandemic relief money...I would have thrown it away! Comes as a debit card, in a plain white envelope and looks like an advertisement! How stupid! Talk about a check and send a debit card. I have never used a debit card and you have to do something to put the money in your bank. STUPID!,,!!!

Hope everyone stays well. I have rituxan scheduled for the end of the month. Hope it helps.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Linda, it seems that many folks here in Boston got those Visa debit cards, too. Many, including Peter and I, thought they were junk mail. If I hadn’t turned the local news on we would have thrown it away. So very stupid.

The government has our banking info so I don’t know why we didn’t get a direct deposit. I had to activate it and then initiate an ACH to transfer the money into our account. Peter’s 95 year old mother got one of these, too. Stupid stupid. And, you have to give up the last 6 digits of your SSN to activate the darn thing. Looks just like a scam.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/29/that...s-payment.html

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 06-03-2020 at 04:08 PM.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

We received a check, and because we are joint filers, Jim's name is on the check. I finally found some information through AARP, with a link to IRS, as to what I should do with the check.

I have to mail it back to the IRS, explaining that Jim is deceased. Then, someday, I may get a check from the IRS for my portion.

The other day, I received a "letter" from the White House resident regarding the stimulus payment. Have any of you received this letter?

Now that the reconstruction is finished, I have to tackle the taxes for last year. It's going to be quite complicated, as Jonathan passed in April 2019. He was our dependent for 3+ months. I dread the taxes every year, but this year, I dread it even more.

The 2018 taxes were a nightmare, because the forms had changed drastically. I finally had to call the IRS for guidance, and the woman, who helped me, told me that the IRS agents were all confused by the changes too and were learning as they went along.

Every year, as I slaved for days over our taxes, Jim would commiserate with me, while reminding me that in Britain, no one goes through this ordeal. And everyone has health care.

Ugh.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Ann, I had to give the last 4 numbers of my SS today, just to sign up with Comcast. I'm just getting the very basic cable, but that includes the 2 channels I really watch. The cheapest package they have.

I tried everything to get the antenna to work, but it never did. Now I'll have TV again, and at a good price.

Everyone have a great evening.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I am happy for you, Howie. :-)

Don’t give up on the antenna yet:

https://www.fcc.gov/TVrescan
    ANN

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thanks Ann, but my antenna served me well for 20 years. But it's the cable that goes from my bedroom, to the antenna, corroded from here to there, is 20 plus years old. It's time to retire it.

I would lay another cable, but I'm not capable these days. May it rest in peace.
    Last edited by Howie; 06-04-2020 at 04:50 AM.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am happy for you, Howie. :-)

Donít give up on the antenna yet:

https://www.fcc.gov/TVrescan
    ANN
    That sounds like a reason for giving up on the antenna. I don't think I'd like having to rescan. Not my sort of thing at all. Howie, it sounds as if you're going back to cable?

A while back I returned to Comcast after a couple of years with a leaf antenna, then a rabbit ears, and hoped to get a good price on basic cable. The lowest price for cable wasn't anywhere the $17/month I had been paying them before. Nowadays I pay $60/month just for so-called basic cable. And the picture isn't great. Sometimes it goes out completely.

I hope your Comcast is better for you. Here they're trying to call themselves Xfinity as well as Comcast--I'm not sure why.

Rose, I received the "White House" letter that was signed by the White House resident but the return address on the envelope was the IRS. I didn't get an actual check or debit card because my Social Security check gets directly deposited every month, and so the stimulus payment was directly deposited as well. Very nice to have, and it's making it possible for me to have this Life Station arrangement.

ANN, I wish I could say something coherent about Amazon Fresh but I'm still confused. My order got here just fine--only 6 items, none of them perishable--but for some reason they took $5 more than the amount they'd said would be the total. Since the tip was already included in the original total, I'm not sure why they did that but tomorrow I may be able to find out more.

Also, the delivery was free but that may be because I'd signed up for Amazon Prime. It's a bit confusing because Amazon also has Amazon Pantry and Whole Foods, which seem to be other ways of getting groceries.

I never saw the delivery person and there was no way to communicate with the shopper while the shopping was being done. I have absolutely no idea where Amazon gets these items from--a central warehouse somewhere, maybe?

However, they found everything and got it to me in good condition. Maybe next time I'll pluck up my courage and try ordering something perishable.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Agate, I also get Social Security directly deposited but we got the Visa debitcard anyway. Just extra hoops to jump through.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 06-04-2020 at 04:21 PM.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast