Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast

Thread: June chitchat

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Rose, on the bottle of Gabapentin, it said no refills, but I seem to remember it has always said that, but CVS calls the doctor, and gets the okay from the doctor. So I went and got the written prescription and took it to CVS and they refilled it. And again, when I got the pills, on the bottle, it says "no refills".

I'll start asking about it next month, but for now, I have the pills to take at the prescribed dose, and I won't think about it anymore....for now. I'm trying to do the right thing, but have to fight for it. That's not right.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Howie, I think Gabapentin is a controlled drug of some kind, although I'm not clear on why or under what since it's not a narcotic. I seem to remember some kind of restrictions on it though on how they dole it out.

I hope Jeanie is doing well, it's been a while since she checked in.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Howie ~

Gabapentin is not a federally controlled drug. However, states have the option of determining whether they want it to be a controlled drug.

Kentucky first declared gabapentin to be a controlled substance after more than one-third of their drug overdose deaths in 2016 involved the medication. Michigan listed it as a Schedule V drug to help fight the opioid epidemic in the state. Later on, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Virginia changed the classification of the drug, too. Ohio may soon be following suit.
    https://www.addictionresource.net/bl...led-substance/

That would explain why you can't have refills, and probably why you have to check in with your doctor periodically to justify prescribing it to you.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

The good ol' State. I have taken it before, and it didn't say no refills. It was like every other prescription, and on each bottle it would say how many refills were left. I don't understand why it's a controlled substance now. It doesn't give you a buzz of any kind, but it simply stops you from having seizures. Oh well.

I'm interested to see how the next refill goes. Will I just be able to call it in to my doctor, and she calls it in to CVS, or will I have to do it the same as this time. I hope not!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Howie ~

The reason for the reclassification of Gabapentin is explained in the article, which I linked to in my previous post.

Unfortunately, gabapentin is sometimes abused by people with polysubstance use disorders who mix it with opiates, like heroin and other pain medications, to increase the effects of these drugs.

The combined effects of gabapentin and other opiates or drugs of abuse contribute to respiratory and cardiovascular failure, causing many individuals to suffer from a drug overdose. Because of this risk, some states are starting to classify gabapentin as a controlled substance in order to limit a patientís ability to abuse the medication.
    Unfortunately, there is an opioid crisis in the U.S., so folks, who need Gabapentin to control seizures, or for peripheral neuropathy, like cancer patients on chemo/immunotherapy, have to go through hoops to get their prescriptions.

Your state probably implemented this regulation during the period of time, when you weren't taking Gabapentin.

I do think your doctor/NP and/or pharmacist should have told you that it was now a controlled substance, and why. Perhaps you could ask both of them why they didn't do that.

I went through this with Jonathan and Michael, with their Phenobarbitol. I'm sorry that you have to deal with it.

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Howie, I take it for the Neuropathy associated with my MS. So far I haven't had any problems getting it, but I can't get a 90 day supply due to insurance restrictions. The pharmacy fills it every 30 days and also I have to sign for it.

Ann, takes it occasionally and she gives it to her cats when she has to take them to the Vet. I take 1 in the morning and 1 at night. Mine are only 100mg tablets. I need to take more because of all that goes on in my body, but it makes me sleepy.
    Virginia

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I am angry, actually very disappointed and angry. My youngest brother called me today. He is the one that has the junior golf tournaments. The parents usually bring their children, but he has rules that they social distance while they are on the golf course waiting for their kids and mask are mandatory. He doesn't let as many kids play together as they use to and he himself wears a mask and tries to stay out on the golf course in a golf cart overseeing the kids as much as possible.

So today he was going to one of the golf courses and he passed his daughter's house. Standing out there without mask, not social distancing were a whole bunch of people and they were having a garage sale. He called his wife on the phone and he said that basically she told him to take care of his golf and she would take care of what she does.

Now, what he and I discussed was the fact that both my sister-in-law and my niece are college graduates, highly educated. My sister-in-law, until her retirement about a year ago was executive assistant to the Chief Justice of the N.C. Supreme Court. My niece has a great job with a company that just keeps giving her promotions, etc. supposedly very responsible, and they send her to a number of different schools. She is 31 years old. Don't y'all think that both of them would know better? My sister-in-law buys groceries for her parents every week. They are in their 80s and neither of them are in good health, both have underlying conditions. My niece goes to see her grandparents sometimes.

What is wrong with these people? By the way, this is not the sister-in-law or brother who brings my groceries to me. I haven't talked to them, but I think they are as disgusted as my brother who called me and I am. He had talked to that brother.
    Virginia

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I understand that the virus is invisible, but it sure seems to have made some very fine, upstanding people blind to the risks too.

People are acting crazy!

When the history books are written and young people are learning about the 2020 covid crisis, we are going to look like buffoons.

"But, why wasn't the pandemic contained earlier to save countless more people from dying?", a student will ask.

"Because they didn't want to wear masks or keep a distance between each other. It was too inconvenient", their teacher will reply.

At the end of the week, when the children are given their test about the great pandemic of the 21st century, a 5th grade student will stare down at his test paper.

"Why did covid19 kill hundreds of thousands of people?", the question will ask.

A light will click in the student's eyes as he begins to write.

"Because they were impatient idiots not thinking about their community and unable to see beyond their short term wants", he will write down carefully.
    Last edited by SuzE-Q; 06-27-2020 at 07:15 PM.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Very good reply Suze. Of course I am still disappointed in my sister-in-law and my niece and I am concerned for my brother who has to be around his wife. I think it was very thoughtless and unfair.

In late July the two of them and my niece's husband are planning a trip to the beach. They will have to rent a place. My brother is not going and has told them he thinks it is a bad idea, but they insist.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia ~

Perhaps one's level of education doesn't necessarily translate into common sense? Perhaps, the downplaying of COVID by our leaders, who refuse to wear a mask and have had several large indoor rallies, and the conspiracy theories that COVID is a hoax, are affecting people's judgment? Perhaps some people are so self-involved and want what they want, that they don't give a flying fig about anyone else?

Cases are rising in Texas, where the Governor opened up the state too soon, and the Lt. Governor said that Seniors, who are at high risk, are expendable, and we should be willing to die for our country and the economy.

Then, there is this viral video of people, mostly women, speaking to a Florida city council about the violation of "their rights to breathe," by mandating that everyone wears a mask. Their arguments are baseless and make absolutely no sense. It would be comical, if it were not so tragic.

DT is taking a break today, playing golf on his course in Virginia. Of course, he blames the increase in COVID cases on the increase in testing.

I am more than angry. I am infuriated!

Memorial Day weekend was a month ago, when thousands of people flocked to beaches, parks, and pools, and bars and parties. We don't have to be a Dr. Fauci to do the math. That's why the cases are increasing. Not long after that, more states re-opened. Protesters took to the streets all over the world. So, there will be another surge in about 2-4 weeks, if this current surge even slows down.

Remember how we were told falsely that summer weather would magically take away COVID? Ummm ... nope, sure doesn't look like it.

Gov. Newsom isn't messing around. He told Imperial County to rein it in, or he will.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...ening/2354780/

We need all of our leaders to be proactive and to mandate unequivocally that we follow the guidelines: mask, gloves, hand washing, social distancing, self-isolation, unless we absolutely have to go out.

Over 125,000 Americans have died, because COVID-19 is a political pawn. And we're not done yet. This is tragic.

SuzE-Q ~

Exactly! Thank you!

My prayers are with all of you that we remain safe and healthy.

Love & Light,

Rose

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast