Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: June chitchat

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) Rose I have no idea if they are doing a funeral. I do not think they are having them here only on digital. I have no phone number to be able to call and all the info I have came from her Facebook posts and Andy. I am praying for them too. Thanks, Jeanie :)

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeanie, I'm so sorry about this tragic and shocking news. It must be quite horrible to lose a child to suicide.

I've heard of quite a few funerals and memorial services that were held long after the actual death--and this was before the coronavirus came along. For one reason or another, a service got postponed. Maybe that's what will happen this time.

Howie, you asked why I still have a landline phone.

Yes, a cellphone can be carried around. I've tried that and it's so heavy it weighs down my pocket and puts me off balance. I'm easily put off balance, I guess. Also, I don't really want the interruptions other people don't mind putting up with. I wouldn't want a phone beeping at me as I'm doing something else. I'd never get anything done.

And cellphones don't really work very well with hearing aids.

And how does anyone see those little tiny things on that little tiny screen? My phone even is somewhat larger than many and I still can't make out the icons and other important information on there.

And my fingers aren't up to working the thing. It takes forever and a day to type anything! And I use a stylus because it's faster. Even so, it's so slow!

My landline phone (the main one I usually use) is captioned. The captioning won't work without the Internet and so there are some extra cords involved but it's very useful if you don't always hear what someone on the phone has said. It's a freebie available to anyone with impaired hearing. I couldn't have that with a cellphone.

I see why people like cellphones. If you fall and need help, you can just reach for your phone and call someone. But I signed up for this LifeStation system, which gives me a way of calling for help if I need help in my apartment or even for quite a distance outside it.

I'm just set in my ways. Phone calls are interruptions. The landline phone is bad enough. I haven't had quite as many robocalls lately but just today I had a local call from an unfamiliar number, and I answered it but no one replied though the line sounded open. I dislike nuisance calls, and I'm betting that you have nuisance calls on a cellphone too. In fact I've erased some messages on mine that were clearly sales pitches.
    Last edited by agate; 06-12-2020 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Adding one more gripe about cellphones
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

My heart goes out to the parents whose son committed suicide. Depression (and addiction) remodel the brain and one can literally say that the person was not in his right mind when he decided to jump off the bridge. That makes it no less tragic, but maybe a bit easier to grasp.

The amount of grief, anger, guild, sadness is endless at first for those left behind.ĒIf I only had....(or had not)...him, maybe he would still be alive. Suicide is not that linear and simple.

There has also been a spike in suicide during the pandemic for people who already suffered from Depression or Anxeity. Its like the final draw.

Then there is the misinformed. My friendís teen jumped on a dare from a pretty high, but survivable bridge. He survived. But he did go to counseling , a wise choice by the parents.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Re landline:
    In the last hurricane, Jeanne, mylandline was up and running 3 weeks before the cell towers were working. But, that was 16 years ago, so I donít know for now.
    But, so often my cell is down becasue we are rural and our network extender goes on the fritz. In emergency, it would be nice to know that the landline can do the trick. But, I have been reluctant to have a worrker in teh houseó- wish I had done it last hear when I was considering it, pre covid.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I understand about having a workman in the house. There are things that I want to get done such as have carpets cleaned, but will not have anyone come in. Of course I also miss Laura a lot. I had her come over this past Saturday and pressure wash my deck, walkway, porch and bannisters. She did a good job. She did not come inside.

As for landline phones I just prefer to talk on one over my cellphone. I have an iphone and people text me on that one, but they call me on my landline. I have one neighbor who occasionally gets mixed up and calls on my cellphone, but then she remembers. Joan never got mixed up. It's easy enough because the people who use nothing but cellphones have a place when entering their contacts to put cellphone numbers and landline numbers.

Howie, another thing, when I was negotiating prices with my provider (I have cable, internet and phone with same provider) I offered to give up my landline if they would give me a better price. They actually quoted me a higher price. The man said it was because I would have to sign a new contract. Another time they quoted me a lower price that was only a couple of dollars. I never was going to give up my landline, but was trying to see what they would offer me. I couldn't bargain with anything else because they already knew I wasn't going to let my internet or cable go.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I offered to give up my landline if they would give me a better price. They actually quoted me a higher price. The man said it was because I would have to sign a new contract. Another time they quoted me a lower price that was only a couple of dollars. I never was going to give up my landline, but was trying to see what they would offer me. I couldn't bargain with anything else because they already knew I wasn't going to let my internet or cable go.
    It's posts like this that make it very clear that these communications people have us all by the short hair. They've discovered that we really like communicating with one another and they've raised their prices so high (and made the whole thing so complicated) that we're desperately wheeling and dealing with them just to try to save a few dollars. The prices for phone, Internet, and cable are outrageous IMO, but then I seem to live in the past.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I saw a very good movie on Netflix yesterday, if you can access it.
    Itís called Trumbo, made in 2015 and it has nothing to do with our president. Its a true story about a famous (then) Hollywood film writer who stood up to the House for Unamerican Activities (Sen. Joseph McCarthy and his enablers), although there were some themes that resonated: How the country became fascist quickly based on lack of facts, just on right wing conspiracy wing nuts in the govt that whipped up the population etc into a frenzy. With some antisemitism overlay.

Starts Bryan Cranston (Star of Breaking bad), who uncannily looked like Trumbo.himself.

John Goodman knocks it out of the park as the sleezy movie maker who has a scene that is priceless, and true.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thanks for the movie suggestion, Sunshine! I'm going to look it up and request it from Netflix. I've definitely heard of Dalton Trumbo but didn't know a movie had been made about him.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Let me know what you think of the movie?

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, I am going to try and look that movie up too.

I am not feeling well today, but it is a different kind of not feeling well. I woke up burning up this morning and it probably was from having too much cover on me. Then I felt like I had a cold when I first got up. This afternoon I have had earache, head feeling heavy and started feeling cold, like slight chills. Hope this passes over. Right now it is scary to have symptoms like this.
    Virginia

20. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast