Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving: June 2020

Distinguished Community Member

Suze-Q, this is great news. One thing I would like to know - when you walk around your house on the inside do you walk at a brisk pace or is it slower? There is no way for me to get up to those numbers. If I tried I would fall, but since you feel it is having an impact on many of the everyday things we have concerns about I just wonder if walking at a slower pace, and I mean much slower also helps.

Keep walking, your numbers are fantastic.
    Virginia

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

My pace varies depending on how I'm walking. During the day, I'm slower and limp quicker. Very late, I am stronger. I walk quicker and with longer strides the better I'm feeling. I've discovered longer strides actually help me to walk farther before limping, it doesn't trigger my knee hyperextension nearly as much as a slower pace, and my lower core temp very late at night gives me more endurance, strength, balance and stamina. Around dinner, or sometimes first thing in the morning, even though I'm limping, I'll add an extra 50 steps to any short walk, just to try to retrain my brain to find ways around damaged circuits when my drop foot is at its worst.

Every time I'm up, if I'm walking to the kitchen or waiting for my kettle to boil, etc., I do a few extra walks between ends of a room, or down a hallway.

But, down a hallway, I can gather a bit of speed to increase my heartrate and breathing, with a wall to put my hands up and turn around at to head in the opposite direction.

You have stairs, a few times up and down will increase heartrate and aerobic activity tremendously. It all started with going the long way into the kitchen, I now do that every single time. I never go from A to B now, I always add some extra steps in.

You'd be surprised how quickly they add up. Play around with it!
    Last edited by SuzE-Q; 06-27-2020 at 02:06 PM.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I no longer can Suze, but it sounds like you have a good plan.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Suze, its amazing!
    Yes,that is the key, recognizing what is from disuse and what is neurologically driven in terms of walking.
    For me, spasms set it when I walk too much, and I am always using a rollator in case of sudden spasm. I had been walking up to 9 minutes at one time during the day, and lots of excursions.
    My best time now is about 3 minutes, and thats under certain conditions re meds. Typically, I can walk 30 steps at a time. Some days less, some more.

ButI still can swim 1/2 hour a day. Grateful...

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, I wonder if you have more physically productive times a day to exercise, too?

I have such wide variations in ability, most often based on time of day. Or body temp.

It's not always the case, I was up late last night, but still limping and dragging my leg. But, if I'm going to be at my peak, it is always very late, after midnight, and before nine. I feel about 75% to "normal", which feels so unusual given that, at other times, I'm close to about 25% and barely able to walk a few steps. That I still have such great potential in there is amazing to me. That I can be so limited at other times is confusing when I know those pathways have the capability in there still.

I try to get my grocery shopping done in the earliest timeframe when I seem to be strongest. It's taken me a few months to figure this out though, see patterns to my performance level, even though they're not always consistent. It also took me a bit to understand that long strides didn't produce as pronounced a knee hyperextension as slow, short strides.

Besides meds, have you found any other conditions you perform best in?

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

SuzE-Q - She performs well in water.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

"Barracuda" by Heart comes to mind.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

She certainly does, ANN. I wonder if she has an optimal time or set of circumstances in the water as well.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sunshine, I wonder if you have more physically productive times a day to exercise, too?

I have such wide variations in ability, most often based on time of day. Or body temp.

It's not always the case, I was up late last night, but still limping and dragging my leg. But, if I'm going to be at my peak, it is always very late, after midnight, and before nine. I feel about 75% to "normal", which feels so unusual given that, at other times, I'm close to about 25% and barely able to walk a few steps. That I still have such great potential in there is amazing to me. That I can be so limited at other times is confusing when I know those pathways have the capability in there still.

I try to get my grocery shopping done in the earliest timeframe when I seem to be strongest. It's taken me a few months to figure this out though, see patterns to my performance level, even though they're not always consistent. It also took me a bit to understand that long strides didn't produce as pronounced a knee hyperextension as slow, short strides.

Besides meds, have you found any other conditions you perform best in?
    Interesting discussion...I am physically strongest from 5am through 10 or 11... it is interesting how that changes throughout the day. Extreme differences. Lately I have added small drinks of Gatorade Zero to help me recover from dehydration from crawling around on my farm. Dehydration has been a big problem that I did not understand I had. So now I have been increasing my physically active hours a bit and find the sports drink replenishes what I lose fromactive farming.

At least that is true right now!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

My legs are more affected by Stiff Person Syndrome than my upper body. The entire time I am swimming, they are in pain from stiffening and threatening to spasm. I pick a time DH is home before work, and the timing coincides with my muscle relaxant dose optimal times. It’s hard to walk to and from the pool, but I can move in the weightlessness of the water.

I wear neoprene shorts and top to help keep my legs from sinking, since I do only modest kicking movements to avoid spasms

I keep my pool at 86-87F.

The main thing though is the weightlessness.

Today I am very nauseous, but I swam anyway. IT comes in “waves”.

Today I swam 1/2 mile.

I walk when I can with my rollator throughout the day. The later part of he day, from 4-7pm seems to allow more of that.

I can tolerate the pain while walking, but spasms are dangerous and to be avoided.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast