Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Restoration Saga

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Reconstruction Day 2/Preview of Day 3

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

YESTERDAY

At 8 a.m., I noticed trucks parked in front of our house. They were an hour early! Oh well, let's get it over with sooner. So, I walked to the front yard, with my mask on, and I noticed that the company name on the trucks did not match the name of the company working on our house. He greeted me, and I said, "Are you here for me?"

He answered,"No, we're here for this house. I see you have a leak too. So does this house. We're the demolition team." (This is not the Manor, but the neighbor on the other side of me. They had a slab leak some years ago, which flooded out our front yard. The residents are renters for at least 10 years.)

I shouted back, "Everyone in the neighborhood knows that I have a leak, as the pod on the driveway is an advertisement."

So, they weren't my crew. They were friendly and wearing masks and distancing from me.

My crew showed up at 9:30 with the supplies they purchased at Home Depot to finish the drywall in the garage, closets and bathroom. They also had to change the valves to the bathroom sink, because "they are old," he said as he showed them to me compared to the new ones installed today.

"Everything in this house is old, including me." I said. "So, anything that needs to be replaced, please replace it. Thank you."

I thank these workers all day long, because I know that they are not earning a ton of money for their hard labor. So far, their work has been very good, to my untrained eye. They were diligent about cleaning up today, including the driveway looking for nails, which I asked them to do this morning. I found a nail on the driveway, before I went to get the van yesterday. I showed it to them this morning, and I explained that if I get a flat tire on the van, I don't have a spare.

The spare now is our original tire, which had to be replaced by our spare last year or whenever, and I can't go through a flat tire right now. They understood.

As the day progressed, I just wanted them to be done. I tried to get up and move around. I even used the iPad with ear phones, while I sat on the patio. I keep looking at the clock, calculating how much longer I will have to endure this disruption, wear this mask, not be able to relax, etc.

Late afternoon, I was watching a movie, while sitting in Jon's recliner in the living room, and a woman walked in through the open garage door to the living room.

I pulled up my mask, as I do every time any of the workers come into the room or down the stairs, etc. I turned and saw a woman, and she looked at me, and exclaimed, "Who are you?"

"I'm the owner of this house. I live here. Who are you?" I replied startled.

"Oh, am I in the wrong house?" She asked.

"Who are you looking for?"

She replied with the last name of my neighbor with the leak.

"Yes, you want to go over there, next door, because obviously, I'm not that person. But, thanks for dropping by."

The Pod on the driveway is an advertisement!

After she left, I walked out to the garage to my crew of two, with our masks on, and we laughed about this woman just walking into my home. I told them, "Please don't let any stranger walk into my house again. Of course, you had no way of knowing that she was confused between our two houses. But just peek in the door and ask me if I want a visitor. She scared me!" We laughed. But I was actually serious. The door is open, and anyone could just walk in.

It seemed like forever, but they finished the drywall. Texture and painting all done in all but the upstairs bathroom. That has to wait until the shower, toilet, vanity is done.

They left at 5:30. Long day.

TODAY

The crew stopped by at 8:30 to take photos of the floors in the bedrooms, as they are going to install them in the closets today. They’re off to Home Depot now to get the flooring and paint for the closets. They will put the closet doors back on.

They will also hook up my washer and dryer, so that I can start doing laundry. YAY!

Supervisor is sending me photos via email, so I can choose the shower, vanity and counter top. That work will start next week.

Three day weekend (hooray!), so they will start again next Tuesday. With any luck we’ll be done by the end of the week.

I wish that I could take a break from all of this, but I can't. So, I just have to buck up and deal with each day as it comes.
    I love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Be good and kind to yourself and stay safe and well.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default Progress and Respite

My crew of two arrived early today, and I asked them to give me a few minutes to get dressed. They did.

They wanted to take photos on their smart phones to try to match our flooring. I knew long ago that this would be impossible, because Jim installed our floors decades ago, and Pergo changes its patterns every few years.

In our living room, we have a beautiful Pergo floor, the first one Jim installed. I remember the empty living room, and we switched on some music and danced on the new floor.

Through the many years after that, so many people, who have entered our home have commented on the floor. Pergo stopped making that pattern, or it would be everywhere in our home.

So the crew today needed to take photos on their phones of the floors to try to replicate them. They did a pretty good job. This is closet space, so I don't really care, because no one is going to see it, except me, and anything is better than the mold and deterioration.

They hooked up my washer/dryer so I can do laundry this weekend. They finished painting the closets and laying the floors. They were efficient, clean and very friendly and polite.

I had breakfast and lunch, while they were here. I watched several movies, in Jon's recliner. I sat on the patio, watching the birds bathing in Michael's waterfall/pond and hovering around our back yard.

I have a 3 day break from construction disruption, which is a blessing.

Now I am deciding on the bathroom configuration. I think I have the right choices. But I'm going on the basis of photographs and conversations with the construction supervisor.

Meanwhile, today, we couldn't locate the upstairs bedroom closet doors, and the door to Jon's closet didn't fit, so it needs to be replaced.

Oh, and I had to call Spectrum this morning, because I couldn't get cable TV to work in the living room, or my "hang out during reconstruction." I got it restored, so that I could watch several movies in the 8 hour work period. All romantic comedies, which I have seen many times before.

A 3 day weekend for me now, and next week the focus is on the upstairs bathroom, where all of this began.

I am pleased with the progress and workmanship. I've survived it so far! So, YAY!

Thank you all for your love, prayers, continuing support and healing energy. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones every day.

Blessings upon you all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Rose,
    I am so glad that the work is progressing and most of all that everyone on the project is KIND to you. I know you will be so very relieved when it's all done and you have a new bathroom to enjoy but also blessed peace and quiet. Time, space and quiet to grieve, to remember, to savour the love in your family. I'm so glad too that Michael's fountain is working and that the birds have come. These are all good signs of healing. Once a long time ago, I remember wondering about the meaning of life. What is our purpose and why do we have any energy at all to keep going? I thought, "just to put one foot in front of the other. The meaning of life is just in the keeping going." You are doing it and we are all inspired because in your case (as well many others here), it's against all odds. Much love my friend, Donna xoxo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Donna ~

For me, the meaning of life and our purpose here is to love each other. To do that, it means we have to put one foot in front of the other, because love is dynamic, not static. Persevering is love as a verb. Love propels us, compels us, sustains us, rescues us, empowers us, enlightens us, giving us the strength to put that one foot in front of the other, even when we are weary and weak.

It's the love surrounding me that allows me to keep moving forward, one step at a time, and even to move too many steps at one time. Jim, Jonathan, and Michael keep me strong, as I feel them so near me. Love never dies. It lives on within us.

The outpouring of love to me through these trying times lifts me up and keeps me going. I thank you and all of my wonderful friends for loving me and helping me find my way.

I love you all.

TODAY

At 6 a.m., I walked 3/4 mile, and stopped to watch the morning break on the lakes. I encountered two men, who politely distanced from me, instead of expecting me to distance from them. One of them has a dog, who is just beautiful. But, we kept our distance as I admired her and chatted with her owner.

I placed an Instacart order, and received all but two items 2 hours later. The service has been excellent here recently. My order included paper towels and glad kitchen trash bags, so I was happy to receive them.

John is my go-to guy for toilet paper, because he's in stores, before they open and run out.

I made a big brunch, egg white cheese omelet, veggie sausage, seasoned cottage fries, and sliced fresh heirloom tomato.

I had a shower, when I wanted to have it, not when I had to have it to get ready for the crew invasion.

And, I've done two loads of laundry. It will be so nice not to have to wear the same clothes for 2-3 days, not knowing when I'll be able to do laundry again. Tomorrow, I wash towels and the futon sheets. I think I'll also Swiffer and vacuum the floors. I'd like it to be clean for a day or so, before next week's adventure begins.

Thank you so much, Donna, for your continuing love and support, and thank you to all here, for walking beside us these many years. Thank you for allowing us to be part of your lives and your families. My prayers are with you and your loved ones always.

I love you!

Love & Light,

Rose

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234