Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Restoration Saga

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This story is priceless--though it's too bad you got hit with what sounds like yet another snag, another issue you might have to follow up on, maybe with calls and letters, until you find out just what it is that they found.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

I know what they found: asbestos in the dry wall. I received a "waste management" report/form from the company, which tested for the asbestos and lead prior to deconstruction.

The supervisor, the plumber, everyone warned me that they would find asbestos, because it was used in drywall construction until 1978. Also, as I mentioned, in 2001, we had a slab leak (everyone in our neighborhood has had a least one slab leak), and the plumbing had to be rerouted through the ceiling. Asbestos was found, and we had men in space suits, shower stations in the front yard, a giant blower in the window blowing out the dust. Like the final scenes in the movie, "ET."

For this restoration, thankfully, they didn't do that, and they took out a lot more drywall than in 2001. They did encase every area, where they removed drywall with a ceiling to floor plastic barrier. The barrier over door frames were zippered, as were the outer "tents." They wore space suits and special respirators, which they removed before they stepped out of the barrier.

All of the drywall was placed in "special" plastic bags and securely fastened inside the closet or bathroom, before they were carried out. I was outside on the patio as much as possible, and when I was inside, I wore a mask all of the time.

Since I didn't and will never have 5 tons of asbestos to discard, I'm going to ignore the notice, as the notification instructed me to do.

It just irritates me that I'm the only one in the neighborhood, who been subjected to this rigorous removal of drywall. Technically, every home in this neighborhood should require it. And believe me that would easily add up to 5 tons of asbestos.

It also distresses me that hazardous waste producers only have to pay fees if they produce more than 5 tons annually. Every ounce of hazardous waste is killing our Planet.

And it really frosts my cookies that my name is on the same list as producers of 5 tons and more of hazardous waste.

There's nothing I can do about it. And, even if I could do something about it, I don't have the energy.

I offer up my experience here to illustrate how truly messed up things are in our System.

So, agate, how are you now that your tiring and stressful weekend has concluded? I'm sure that's a question better asked in the MS Chit Chat thread, but we're here now, so ... I've been praying for you to be strong through it all. Rest now.

Prayers and hugs for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Rose, even on bad days you are good for a laugh. Thank you! As you said I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. I don't believe you have 5 tons of hazardous waste in your home, unless of course you have a giant house that you have not been telling us about.
    Virginia

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default Laughter Is Healing

Virginia ~

Uh oh! You caught me! I confess: I live in a 15,000 square foot mansion, on 5 acres, with a vineyard, several pools, a tennis court, a horse trail, corral (for the horses, of course), and I drive a Mercedes on odd days of the week and a Rolls on the even days.

When I've been told, "I don't know how you do/did it!", I have one standard reply now, which is, "Love."

But there are more ingredients in the mix of Love, which has sustained me through 50 years of challenges. And, I would say that the first added ingredient is: A sense of humor.

I developed it early as a child and built upon it as I grew up. TV was big in our family, so I watched the TV shows of the 1950s ~ Show of Shows, Sid Cesar, Steve Allen, so I was drawn to humor as a coping tool at a young age. That has continued throughout my life.

Humor diffuses tension. Laughter releases stress hormones. (As do tears ...) So, I have always used humor in every medical setting at some point. It often came as a surprise to nurses, doctors, etc., but once they knew me better, they realized that I was trying to have a balanced approach to the crisis by injecting humor into it.

I vividly recall Jon in ICU, with 2 RTs, 2 nurses, the pulmonologist, and me about to change Jon's trache. We were all gowned, masked, gloved and ready to roll. Then the doctor got a call. He pressed the button through his gown with a gloved hand and explained that he was about to replace a trache. A message came through to call a certain extension. He turned off his phone through his gown, and looked up trying to recall the extension.

I looked at everyone and repeated the extension number, and they repeated it with me, so the doctor could remember the number. Then, we all burst into laughter. It was ideal for the situation, because we were all very tense. I'm sure that it helped Jon to relax.

One of the many things I love about Jim is his sense of humor. We laughed so much, sometimes to the point of crying and doubling over. We had so many inside jokes to the point where we'd just have to look at each other without speaking and explode into laughter.

Jonathan and Michael were joyous, even through their extremely difficult lives. They loved to laugh. Jim and I made sure that there was plenty of laughter in our lives.

So, I'm glad that I can bring a chuckle to you and anyone else following our saga.

It is very difficult during this pandemic and these uncertain times to find humor. But, we need it most of all now as a healing balm.

You and your loved ones are in my prayers, and I send laughter, and healing energy to you.

We are all in this together. We need to lock down, stay inside as much as possible, always wear masks, change masks after each outing/encounter, wash our hands constantly, social distance and be strong in the face of this awful virus.

Stay safe, be well, and God Bless You ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

The story about the doctor and the phone had me ROFL just reading it LOL. My apologizes for not signing in recently. I had a lot of good things happen to me recently which required a lot of details to set up. My bad! My prayers to you always and I always read your posts.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

I've missed you and figured that you were busy. I'm happy to hear that good things are happening for you! May it continue to be so!

Thank you for your prayers, and you know mine are with you and your dear friends and family.

On my walk this morning, I met two lovely ladies in my age range walking their dogs. I met one of the ladies a couple of days ago, and we chatted a little, social distancing, of course. I wear a mask, when people approach me, but these ladies aren't wearing masks. They revealed that they aren't residents, and don't live in one of the adjacent neighborhoods.

The lady, who I met before, said that they live on the other side of town (in a nice area) and were looking for somewhere else to walk their dogs and get exercise. She asked me if it was okay for them to walk here, and I replied, "Of course! We don't wear ID badges here! While we don't have many, we do have some folks, who come here to see the golf course."

She remarked how lovely it is, and I told her how peaceful I feel looking at the morning mist and the rising sun, as the ducks and geese swim in the lakes. I watched a gaggle of geese take off this morning, and they just crack me up with their honking. They are so chatty!

John visited for 45 minutes on the patio Thursday. He always cheers me up.

I managed to get through our wedding anniversary. It was difficult, naturally, and I did have a bit of a sob fest at one point. Our wedding was so magnificent in every way. Everyone was in tears, including our caterers. The weather was gorgeous, perfect in fact, the sunset was stunning, and as we said goodbye to our last guests, we saw a shooting star.

Jim built a deck, gazebo, an arch and an aisle. We went to the floral shop and caterers together, which impressed the ladies working at both places. We had a LOT of music, which we chose together. He repeatedly told me, "This is going to be the wedding of your dreams. You deserve nothing less."

Our wedding was everything and more than I had dreamed.

My prayers are with all of you and your loved ones for healing, safety, peace, and comfort.

In gratitude for and loving memory of Rep. John Lewis, hero, patriot, civil rights leader, and a true representative of the people:

Before we went on any protest, whether it was sit-ins or the freedom rides or any march, we prepared ourselves, and we were disciplined. We were committed to the way of peace - the way of non-violence - the way of love - the way of life as the way of living.

John Lewis
    Thank you, John, and may God rest your beautiful soul.

Love & Light,

Rose

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Dear Rose,

Wedding anniversaries are rough. It brings back so many memories of wonderful day of getting married and spending that special day with our friends and family. We would have been married 23 years. We were just short of 22 years before Mike died.

I was sad to hear of John Lewis's death. He will forever be remembered as a trailblazer for civil rights and an icon. I was hoping that he would be able to make it to the next election and cast his vote for the next president. I hope they will name the bridge after him. It's a better name as the John Lewis Bridge than the other name that is there.

How are you enjoying your new bathroom? I hope that it has met all of your expectations.

Marcie

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Rose, thank you for mentioning John Lewis. The quote of his embodied all that I ever knew him to be. He made a difference in the world and had an impact. Like Marcie I had hoped he would be able to vote in this next election.

So glad you have Thursdays with John. It reminds me of the movie "Wednesdays with Morrie".
    Virginia

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Marcie ~

Memories can be simultaneously comforting and painful. Do you find this to be true for you? I'm so sorry, and I understand how much you are missing Mike.

Somehow, we just keep going and putting one step in front of the other to move forward.

Virginia ~

I know you understand too.

I have been weeping all weekend for so many reasons, and the loss of Rep. John Lewis is certainly one of them. Far too many of our elected officials do not merit the title "Honorable." John Lewis epitomized honor and integrity.

As a child, I witnessed the abuse and oppression of people of color on TV news and newsreels. Horrifying and unfathomable in the "land of the free." John Lewis and other brave civil rights activists placed their lives in jeopardy for freedom. They were jailed, beaten, threatened, and murdered. They were denigrated and humiliated, as they stood up proudly and peacefully for their civil rights.

I agree that bridge should be renamed for John Lewis.

In 2016, John Lewis walked that bridge, holding President Barack Obama's hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbmcM9RMyCE

And this, when John Lewis received the Medal of Honor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4P02rNysh8

The best way we can honor The Honorable John Lewis is to carry on his legacy of peaceful dissent to ensure equal rights for all.

VOTE!

Love & Light,

Rose

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Dear Rose,

I agree that memories can both be good and painful. For me, it really depends when they come up. Somedays are better than others and then their are the days that the memories are a punch in the gut. Those are the most difficult days for me. Like you and Jim, music played a very big part in our marriage and the connections to certain events and a certain song can bring either good or sad memories. An odd coincidence happened when Mike died there was a movie that was on tv when I found out and almost a year (11 months)earlier we went to see that movie at the movies. Prior to going to see the movie we were talking about death and dying and funeral arrangements. It came fill circle in that one moment.

I am looking forward to casting my vote in this upcoming election. All of my guys are registered to vote and will be voting in November. They understand the importance of voting. John Lewis fought long and hard to keep that right to vote for many Americans. It is the least we could do to honor his memory.

I can't believe how fast the summer is going. It is certainly an unusual one. Jonathan's summer camp program was changed from a 6 week in person camp to 1 week camp and the rest of it was virtual. He opted out this summer because of it. I have travelled up to see my family the last couple of years but that isn't happening this year and it is disappointing. My mom is getting any younger and I would like to see my uncle.

NY has been very strict on their Covid requirements and we are finally turning a tide in the Covid fight. I hope that it continues to stay that way moving into the fall. Luckily I don't have any kids in public schools anymore but my oldest is a teacher in NYC and nothing has been finalized on what is happening that this time.

Marcie

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast