Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving May 2020

Distinguished Community Member

I went out this afternoon. I had to go to drugstore to get Azo. I will see if that does any good. Anyway, I parked my car at Lowe's Foods and walked next door to Walgreens. I guess I got a little more than the Azo because I spent $107.00. I had not been inside a pharmacy in at least two months or longer and there were things I needed.

I then walked back next door to Lowes's and got some ice cream to bring home. I got in my car and went to chic-Fil-A and got a salad for tonight's dinner.

Most everyone I saw was wearing a mask. I was very proud of them. Of course I was wearing one also.
    Virginia

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Ahh, Virginia, maybe that’s what is going on or the dental problem could be causing a pseudo-flare if there is infection there.

Glad to hear you are being careful. North Carolina numbers are still going up.

Sounds like you got some walking in.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Covid has inspired me to push myself to increase my fitness, be at my personal best in case I need to fight this virus:

From last week:

S: 3,000
    M: 3,500
    T: 3,500
    W: 3,500
    T: 2,400
    F: 3,200
    S: 3,500

My nerves are certainly reacting to this: legs, buzzing and vibrating, pain, in addition to regular muscle pain and strain and bottom of foot issues.

This was my first week at 3,500. Last two weeks, I pushed at keeping 3,000/day for the most part. Been working up to this, slowly, but surely. Maybe in a couple weeks, I can work up to 4,000, depending on weather, I still need to space out steps as my knee can often start hyperextending at around 250-500 steps. Because I can never predict how many steps I'll be able to do, this is pretty much done beating a well worn path now around my house.

But, so long as I rest in between and avoid times of peak body temp, and not push it if the limping is too severe, I've been able to persevere and accumulate the steps over time. By doing that, I've increased my strength and capability at the times when conditions are optimal and my leg doesn't start limping for up to 1,000 steps at one interval. That allows me to get in cardio too and aerobic activity. Of course, at other times, I can't walk 50 steps without dragging my leg. Improving my fitness level has not diminished the neurological problems or damage, it's just increased my capacity when it's possible. It's a roller coaster ride I experience daily, never knowing, even at any given hour, what my functioning level will be, no way to predict. But, I am grateful that there IS a range still and I still have the potential at times, as difficult as it is to never know how I'm going to feel and to have such massive fluctuations occur, without notice.

But, slowly but surely, the turtle wins the race.

But, considering I now have asthma too which puts me further in the covid vulnerable group (no idea if MS physiologically does as well), I want to do my part to increase my lung capacity and give me better odds if I catch this miserable pathogen.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Wow, SuzE-Q, wow!

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Amazing Suze-Q, but is it worth it if it causes you so many problems? I guess it is, but I have read that the saying "no pain, no gain" is not true. I think you will make that 4,000 step goal.
    Virginia

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I agree, Virginia, but I don't know it's "too much" until AFTER I've already expended the energy and walked the steps.

If I wake up with problems, I take it easy until I'm feeling improved, but it's been later in the same day so far. Every time I tell myself I'll take a day off, I feel better later on and motivated to get some more steps in. If I'm limping, I don't do many as I could trip over my foot and fall. Last Thursday was my rest day.

Maybe because they're not all at once too, the negative effects are shortlived.

I agree though, I'd love to know in advance what's going to be "too much". In some ways though, it's helping my neurological pain, it used to be way more often than what it is now. So, I think it's helping me neurologically in addition to physically. I'm hoping some neuroplasticity is occurring and the repetition could help the brain get the walking messages through.

My old pedometer is still not working, so I promised myself a new one if I showed a commitment to walking. I finally ordered a new one yesterday, so my step counts should be more accurate soon. I have a feeling I'm actually walking a little more, it's just if I forget what group of 50 I'm counting, I tend to walk extra steps to be sure I'm not overcounting them. So, I'll soon have a better count.

I still want to get back into yoga, but I have not had the motivation yet.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Size-Q, I have a SIL who has a really nice Fitbit, but she says she has to swing her arms to get an accurate count. You might want to check it both ways to see if that could be true with yours.

Agate, the above is for you also.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I had a step counter for awhile, but put it on my jeans front pocket. Agates numbers blew me away. I stay sitting on the bed most days, watching TV or DVDs.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Howie, you are lucky, I have a lot of pain in my legs if I don't move. I can't walk far at a time, but walking and movement is the only thing that alleviates my chronic neuro pain in my legs. It's just finding a balance between alleviating my pain and creating more.

I am pleased that I've been building some endurance and strength, I never knew how much of my limits were due to lack of exercise and how much is due to MS. I'm finding out that I can definitely build and do more. But when I hit the neuro limits, I'm done. Nothing can change them. But outside of them, i am improving my physical fitness and I'm glad.

Virginia, I'm just getting a cheap step counter, not a fitbit. I just don't really trust it keeping tabs on me like they do, I watched an episode of Investigation Discovery where the fitbit tracked the person's movements and led to the discovery of her killer.

I'm content with a basic pedometer for now.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Swam 1/2 mile today. The cover is deteriorating, so we removed it completely. Thinking, that now that itís May, perhaps its incessant. The bubble pieces floating all over the pool. Parts of the cover drown under the surface.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast