Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make your own face mask

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Make your own face mask

For a while we were told not to wear masks unless we were taking care of sick or vulnerable people or were infected ourselves because there is such a limited supply of the most effective masks that hospitals and others who really need the masks don't have enough of them.

But now it seems that if we're in a COVID-19 hotspot or apt to be in groups of people or whatever, we ought to be wearing masks, and we should definitely not be snapping up those masks that others desperately need. Instead we can make our own. For those who can sew, the instructions are easy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/o...-n95-mask.html
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Here’s a few other videos on this from the many on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JpNmJGClKKI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEHU0U4TQXc

And one that is hand sewing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0HH2Zb2hY

I got pre-cut fabric from the FabricShoppe on Etsy. When I bought it it was $18 for a half pound. The elastic has been hard to find. I have some on back-order from eBay. :-(
    I have seen masks made with hair elastics and I ordered some of those, also on back order. Harvesting elastic from old clothes might be the best source.

Folding a cotton scarf around your nose and mouth securely is a good start if you must go out.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 04-03-2020 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Added a video at top
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Who's going to sew poor Sam and myself a mask? We are goners!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Howie, I have read that if you get the virus, you need to be quarantined from your family and pet(s)! Apparently, they can carry the virus presumably on their fur (?) at least a short time. How would I ever recover if I didn’t have my nurse-cat, Lily? Still, I wouldn’ Want Peter to get the virus.

Since you don’t share your space with another person, you wouldn’t have to be separate from Sam.

Let’s all be extra careful and not get it.
    ANN

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Don't anyone move in with Howie! He's safe as long as he lives alone with Sam.

So many people want to just move in with Howie for all of the free dental care. This will be a notice letting them know it's not possible.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Sam lives with me, and she still has all her teeth. That's because she also still has all her claws!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I love this pattern and it does not require elastic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_NmpdgWWA

ANN

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

That looks like an easy one to make and should do what it's supposed to do. Are filters useful? I notice that some designs include a filter and others don't.

A sewing machine would definitely speed up the process but I did the New York Times one by hand. Instead of the ribbon I used a cord. I didn't happen to have any appropriate ribbon on hand. I have tons of gift-wrap ribbon but it wouldn't last long and can't be sewn on.

Elastic has a way of giving out too easily. I'll tie the cords around the back of my head. The fabric came from a stash I've had around here for years, left over from the time when I was making quilts, or trying to.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I don't have one because I do not have a sewing machine. I'll try to make one like the Surgeon General said and that way I can use rubber bands. Now if I can just find rubber bands that are not too tight or too loose and I also need material.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I don't think I'd like rubber bands. If you can find some elastic, it might be more comfortable.

I can't hang the mask on my ears because there's no room. It's all taken up by (a) glasses and (b) hearing aids.

An old pillowcase or tea towel if it's made of densely woven cotton would probably do fine.

Does anyone know why some of the masks have filters and others do not? What is the purpose of the filters?

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast