Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: April Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Here's one for you, Ann. Tula and fam went to Eagle Lake today. It's the 2nd largest natural lake in California. They found some very interesting bones. Tula was intrigued.
    They didn't see another soul! I think they achieved social distancing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Howie, whatever you do, don't flush any of those napkins! I read a news article about people flushing napkins, paper towels or baby wipes and causing plumbing clogs, due to the toilet paper shortage! Those things are not meant to be flushed.
    We are on septic here and are very careful about what goes into the septic system. We learned the hard way not to put bleach in the household septic system. Bleach will kill it! Once that happens, nothing will drain. Believe me, it's no fun bailing a tub bucket by bucket and hauling it outside after taking a quick shower. After that experience, DH put in a small septic tank and leach field just for the laundry to drain into.
    Our next-door neighbor killed their system by flushing baby wipes. We both had to put in all new leach fields at great expense. We were city kids who didn't know better, but sewer lines can get clogged too.

Speaking of napkins, all I could get at the grocery store was small cocktail napkins. It's really all that's needed napkin wise anyway! Can't find TP, paper towels, reg. napkins, and there was a 1 box limit on tissues (off-brand, small box is all they had). Limits on lots of other stuff too. Prices have really gone up, just when people don't have incomes! What a mess . . . so much for that strong economy I keep hearing about!

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

It was either those napkins, or my bare hands, and I couldn't do that. I will say the napkins are very thin material. I'm also on a septic tank, but the landlord keeps them pumped out pretty regular.

Let me ask, who's on SS and has gotten their stimulus payment?
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Howie, I've been facing similiar t.p. shortages and to be on the safe side, you should try to get your hands on some actual t.p. even if it means borrowing from a neighbor.

I'm not on a septic tank but have a very particular toilet. I read up on toilets on some plumbing Websites a while back and learned that you're not supposed to put ANYthing in a toilet except appropriate t.p. and human waste. Not facial tissue, not dental floss, nothing else. The type of t.p. can make a difference too. There are some that are easier on the plumbing than others. These newer, low-flow toilets are very very touchy because they don't have much water to push stuff through.

You really don't want to spend a lot of time with a plunger or a snake. Take it from one who knows about these things.

To answer your question: No sign of any stimulus check yet here. I'll believe in that when I see it. Word has it that it might appear magically in my checking account some day since I already have Social Security checks being directly deposited there. That's not official word--just info I've picked up from some AARP e-mails.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I received stimulus check last week. Did y'all go in and fill out tax form listing your banking information? Mine was on my 2018 tax form. However, if you are going to get a paper check it might be longer because DT had to have his name put on them. Took at least 7 days longer to get in the mail.

Nuthatch, I will just take Tula and Dahlia. Personally, I think they are in too much danger where they are.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Good morning everyone!!!

I just got in from a trash and store run. I did get my facemasks in the mail, and had my gloves with me, but didn't use either. The store wasn't crowded, and there were some folks wearing masks. I got basically coffee and creamer, Life's necessities. Social distancing and hand washing seem to be the most effective, both something I do.

So now, I'm in until payday.....maybe.

Have a great day all!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Nuthatch; Those pictures show such a storied childhood. Maybe the way the good Lord intended....

Before COVID, we had student pilots buzzing the town constantly all day long. They all went back to China, and now we can hear the birds and appreciate the outdoors. One of the few benefits of COVID.

IVIG all day tomorrow. I am ready for it with my mask. Patients are only bout 4 feet away from each other. How can they do that/ Its a hospital for goodness sake!

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine 2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IVIG all day tomorrow. I am ready for it with my mask. Patients are only bout 4 feet away from each other. How can they do that/ Its a hospital for goodness sake!
    Could you mention that spacing issue to someone on the hospital staff? They should be willing to move a few items in order to clear more space in between people, seems to me.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Alright everyone get ready for my afternoon experience. I placed an order with Instacart yesterday. By far the largest I have ever placed. So it was to be delivered today between 2 and 4. It was large order because I had not been to grocery store since back in March.

Just before 2 today someone came to my door and rang the doorbell and left before I could get to the door. They left bags of groceries. The list was not complete but I was going to accept it. There were a number of items missing. But as I said I was going to live with it.

I was putting everything away and doorbell rang again. There was a lady with paper bags of groceries. I thought it was the rest of my order. I did think that it appeared to be a lot, but she got gone before I looked in the bags. Turned out to be a double order, but she brought some things that the first person did not bring.

My checking account was debited for $200.00, $180.00, and $19.37. I first called the store. They could not do anything, not even come and get groceries that were not mine. I was using Instacart and the store has nothing to do with it. I went through two people, holding on for each one while the frozen food left on the porch was thawing.

I then put in (on my online receipt) a complaint. Then I tried calling them. Got a lady and had to hold on another long time. She kept coming back saying she was trying to get someone. Finally, she said they would not answer and gave me the number. Turns out they were not taking any calls due to increase in volume because of Covid.

Finally, I called a neighbor and told her to come and get the dry stuff that she could use and take it home with her. This was about 4:15 and I knew the rest would not be any good.

I called my bank, went through two people. By then instacart had credited me $170.93 and $147.93. That means that I now owe them. I will see what they do with my account overnight.

And to think I was having a pretty good day. I had washed two loads. And I had cleaned my master bath. Still have to mop floor, but had cleaned tops of both cabinets and toilet. Then I had to stop and deal with this. Now, I will go see what my neighbor left on my porch that I have to throw away because it was frozen. I have to put clean sheets on my bed. Guess things could be a lot worse. I could be completely without groceries.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia, I've probably mentioned that for the last 10 years I've been using delivery services for groceries because getting to/from a supermarket was just too much of a project for me. For years I used the Safeway's online ordering and delivery, and more recently I've used Instacart a few times when the volunteer service I'm now using isn't available.

I have one huge issue with both the Safeway and Instacart, and that is that they just dump the bags of groceries without waiting for me to see what is in them. Their systems don't allow for the delivery person to wait for checking.

That helps them to be speedy, but there have been times when I got only half my order, and other times when I got a large part of someone else's order. These mistakes were very hard to correct, and I spent a lot of time on the phone about it.

The Store-to-Door person always used to remove each item from the bags while I checked them off. It took only a few minutes and was well worth the effort for me. Now, since COVID-19, they aren't doing that. She leaves the bags on the counter. I have the impression that since this virus came along, we're supposed to be happy to have any groceries at all.

It's a good idea not to try to do very much on any grocery delivery day because you just never know what problems might come along.

When you think about it, when you're in the store, you're getting what you want, picking it out, looking it over, but with Instacart someone else, probably someone who doesn't know you at all, is having to do all that, then find your address and bring it to you. It's a lot for someone else to do.

That's the way I see it. I try to put up with whatever comes my way. If I get frozen items I didn't order, I put them in my freezer compartment until I find out what the store wants to do about them. Often Safeway used to tell me just to keep the unordered items because they weren't worth as much as it would cost them to make a special trip to pick them up from me.

I deal with Instacart by e-mail or by their messaging system. I don't call them unless they ask me to. I've always had prompt replies from them, though the problems don't always get fixed right away.

It's too bad you had such a bad experience. I'm afraid everyone is just fumbling around at this point, not knowing how anything should be done or if it should be done.

EDITED TO ADD: I just had an e-mail from InstaCart that included this:

https://news.instacart.com/introduci...s-f859b081aaea

They've been making some changes in the way they do things--and that could be another reason why they goofed up so badly. They're still ironing out the bugs in their new system.

I'm not sure how you iron out bugs but hope you know what I mean.
    Last edited by agate; 04-21-2020 at 03:37 PM.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast