Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agate, from an article on shopping services

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Agate, from an article on shopping services

Instacart

The largest grocery delivery network in North America announced earlier this week that it would be bringing on “an additional 300,000 full-service shoppers across North America over the next 3 months to meet the increasing customer demand for online grocery delivery and pickup in the U.S. and Canada.”
    A spokesperson said that in the last few weeks, Instacart has “seen the highest customer demand in company history” and is focusing on states with the most customer demand, including California, New York, Texas, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Jersey, Georgia, and Ohio.

Walmart Grocery

The brand said it has seen an increase in pickup and delivery orders, as well as more customers at Walmart stores. The company acknowledged that while it has had to “cancel a number of orders due to item availability,” it’s “offering time slots to customers for as soon as the same day and up to one day in advance, rather than time frames further out.”
    “This is a shorter window than we typically offer, but it will allow us to better serve our customers during this busy time,” said Charles Crowson, senior manager of corporate communications, who added that the company plans to hire 150,000 new associates in stores, clubs, distribution centers and fulfillment centers.
    Fresh Direct

The brand said in a tweet over the weekend that it is working “tirelessly” to open more slots for users.
    On Tuesday, Fresh Direct announced it would be part of a program that delivers 2,000 boxes of food a day, Monday through Friday, to families in need across the five boroughs of New York City.
    Postmates

Delivering both food and non-food items, Postmates says it has recently launched non-contact deliveries and is “offering reduced delivery fees—often during peak lunch hours—making on-demand delivery more accessible during this challenging time.”
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks ever so much, Linda!

I'd never heard of Postmates. I'm going to keep it in mind. This kind of information is one of several ways message boards can be extremely useful. I might have spent hours looking around on the Internet before I found out about Postmates.

I stay on the lookout for ways of getting food. Even after 10 years at this address I'm still not used to being so far away from stores.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks ever so much, Linda!

I'd never heard of Postmates. I'm going to keep it in mind. This kind of information is one of several ways message boards can be extremely useful. I might have spent hours looking around on the Internet before I found out about Postmates.

I stay on the lookout for ways of getting food. Even after 10 years at this address I'm still not used to being so far away from stores.
    the first paragraph is about Instacart....which is what you use, right? The second paragraph refers to Walmart
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I use Instacart when the shopping service I normally use isn't working--that happens at least 4 times a year (they get holiday weeks off--July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's) and any Thursdays when there is snow/ice on the roads. And now that the coronavirus is among us, their resources are strained to the limit, and I think they might give up for the time being. The service involves shopping done by volunteers, who might not want to be shopping for other people just now.

https://storetodooroforegon.org/about-us/

I've been checking in with Instacart several times a day for about a week now, and am always told that no delivery times are available. That goes for all of the stores Instacart shops at. I did find a slot for a Sunday evening delivery and snapped it up even though the groceries did come through on Thursday. There are other things I need from Instacart--things that Store-to-Door wasn't able to find.

Eventually Instacart will probably have some times available. It's just that now more people are using it than ever before.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I use Instacart when the shopping service I normally use isn't working--that happens at least 4 times a year (they get holiday weeks off--July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's) and any Thursdays when there is snow/ice on the roads. And now that the coronavirus is among us, their resources are strained to the limit, and I think they might give up for the time being. The service involves shopping done by volunteers, who might not want to be shopping for other people just now.

https://storetodooroforegon.org/about-us/

I've been checking in with Instacart several times a day for about a week now, and am always told that no delivery times are available. That goes for all of the stores Instacart shops at. I did find a slot for a Sunday evening delivery and snapped it up even though the groceries did come through on Thursday. There are other things I need from Instacart--things that Store-to-Door wasn't able to find.

Eventually Instacart will probably have some times available. It's just that now more people are using it than ever before.

Same has happened to me on Peapod...I do have a delivery coming next Wednesday. But many items are not available anyway! I think we should get a few chickens!
    Linda~~~~

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Eggs! Roast chicken! Chicken soup! Great idea. Chicken soup is said to be good for respiratory illnesses.

You have a head start on many of us, Linda, by growing veggies. With the chickens you're going to get, you'll be all set for quite a feast.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Unless Instacart delivery people are able to reach an agreement with the company they are all striking beginning Monday. So, I had planned to see if I could get some things by putting in an order tomorrow morning, even if I had to wait a few days or even 4 or so. Now, I will have to come up with plan B and I don't know what that will be yet.
    Virginia

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I found this article yesterday about the Instacart shoppers’ strike:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/inst...ay-strike.html

For over 2 years now, I have been ordering from Instacart almost every week. This is frightening for me, because I can’t leave Jim for a long period to go to the store, and a grocery store is one of the last places I want to go (#1 is the hospital).

I went to Instacart today, and initially, I was getting “505 Gateway” errors. Then, it loaded up, but it wouldn’t load up any of my stores. A notice on the site stated that they were extremely busy right now, “try again later.”

I tried again this afternoon. Two of the four stores I use had no available delivery times in the future. The other two stores said the earliest delivery would be Thursday evening.

As people panicked about toilet paper, they are likely panicking about this Instacart strike and are buying as many items as they can today and tomorrow. Shoppers may also be filling orders from days ago. I’m sure that they are behind in their deliveries.

John and Nancy have offered to pick up items for us, when they shop, but I can’t expect them to get a week’s worth of groceries continuously for us.

Another COVID-19 nightmare.

I’m praying Instacart resolves this problem with their shoppers quickly and fairly. They are on the front lines exposing themselves all day/evening to this virus. They deserve proper compensation, benefits and protection.

Be Safe and Well.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, is ordering groceries from Amazon a possibility for you?

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

This is the reason I did what I did today. I hated so bad to do it, but I started out to go through the drive thru at a Walgreens that my regular Walgreens had sent my Rx to because they don't have a drive thru. So anyway, there is a Harris Teeter almost next door and I looked at the parking lot and there were not nearly as many cars as usual. I had on plastic gloves, but I don't have a mask. I set in their parking lot for awhile and thought about what to do. I needed staples, such as milk, eggs, butter, yogurt, etc in addition to food items. Finally, I went in. There were people in there, but not as many. I bought all the staples I mentioned and a number of food items. There was no meat, but that was alright. It took awhile to get around to everything in the store and I am sure I missed some things, but I got enough.

Now, I am feeling anxious for having done it, but I didn't know what was going to happen with Instacart and I just did not want to ask any of my family members to go out and get all the stuff I got. I could have done with less, but then if I had asked someone they would have needed to go back sooner. Both of my brothers have coronary artery disease and one is real bad. I don't want them out there anymore than I want myself, so I don't know what the answer is when that is the situation.

There was no alcohol and no alcohol wipes. There was zero paper towels. There was 3 boxes of an off brand Kleenex that I had never seen. I bought two of them and would have bought all 3, but felt selfish for thinking about it. The tree pollen is so heavy and thick here that you would think my car is green instead of light tan, so my allergies are acting up and I could have justified all three of the boxes but I didn't.

So, I am hoping for the best.
    Virginia

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast