Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About the politics blog

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) I do not agree that we need to have the info about the bylaws. Thank you Mike for all you do. Jeanie :)

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Administrator/Community Manager David Hosobuchi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you Sunshine for your kind words. They instill confidence at a time when I am feeling little but frustration.

My sole efforts are not only to give us, myself included, the members of BrainTalk our community back, but to improve on what we had. (I think sometimes people forget that I might have the very same motives as everyone else here. I am really just a member like everyone else.) Everything I do, I do in the best interests of Our Nonprofit Organization, and the Community. I now have that fiduciary duty as an officer of the organization. I do take it seriously.

This is 2020. In the early 1990's, BrainTalk Communities was the first of its kind. One could make the claim that all medical patient communities out there are BrainTalk Copycats....
    There also still has never been another nonprofit community that has matched the dynamics of BT at its peak.

BrainTalk was originally created in 1993-1994. It was created by gathering pre-existing individual neurological groups, and giving them a collective home; BrainTalk/BrainChat, at MGH Neurology.
    Technology has come a long way since then. We were founded on the idea to be an evolving community.
    My goal is to continue that.
    I intend to rapidly improve upon what we had.
    What if our community became a "hub" for neurological research, and/or connecting with other neurological, or medical communities???

What if BTC could heal the trauma caused from all those "mishaps" in the past, reaching out to all of the other "BT Spawned" Communities out there???

Any further arguments towards keeping political discussion alive here will be taken as a direct challenge of this Administrative Global Announcement of BrainTalk Communities Policy.
    This could result in a permanent ban.

This is Our policy.

When I use these terms (We, Our, Us) I am speaking for all of us. We, are BrainTalk Communities. All of Us!! Everyone that is a member, or that will join. No one is left out.

No politics here on BrainTalk Communities. Period.
    That's the way it must be.
    Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 03-10-2020 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Removed Emotional response from post.
    "The Most Determined Win!"

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

David, you are not going to like your post when you re-read it tomorrow.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 02-25-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Changed “that” to “your”
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

((((((David)))))) ~

You have taken on a big responsibility as BT’s President, and I appreciate all of the effort you have put into rebuilding BT at your own expense.

I understand and agree to BT’s TOS.

While I was active in both the MS Forum’s “Politics” thread and agate’s blog, I respect your decision to remove them.

I would like to provide some background as to perhaps why some of us are reacting as we are.

The “Politics” thread started on Election Night 2016. It was allowed to remain and continue for 3 years, with nearly 300 posts. Periodically, we consulted with Mike and Moderators about tone and conduct, and we followed their rules.

We were accustomed to having the “Politics” thread to vent our concerns about what has been happening in our country, including social services issues, mass shootings, the Me Too movement, climate change, as well as the current administration.

Suddenly that thread was closed. After 3 years of open discussion, we were silenced. After 3 years of violating the TOS about politics, we were shut down.

It was my understanding, and probably the understanding of other participants in the “Politics” thread that agate obtained permission to post a Politics blog. The theory was that very few people ever visit or even know that the blogs exist. We were out of the way of the main forums. Have there been complaints about agate’s Politics blog by members or former members?

We have not been defiantly posting about politics. We sought permission, and we were given it for 3 years on the “Politics” thread and since last year (I don’t know the date) with agate’s blog.

I’m not advocating for a return of either the thread or the blog. I’m explaining the history of this issue.

While you want to grow BT and expand both its membership and outreach, please remember that if you ban us permanently, you will lose the core of BT.

Those who post regularly on any of the forums are the only ones, who keep it viable. They are the ones, who welcome, comfort, and guide new members. They are the ones, who support each other as friends of two decades. They are BT.

The MS Forum is the only truly active forum on BT. Take a look at agate’s post count, and ask other members about agate’s efforts to keep the forum active. There is love, caring, kindness, support in every post on the MS Forum. Without the MS Forum, there will be no BT.

The other semi-active forum is Child Neurology. Most of the posts are mine about my husband and children. We have a small tight knit group, with open arms for any parent, who joins us. But even when we invite them, they don’t show up, or they don’t continue to communicate with us. They get our advice and leave. That is with few exceptions.

The Emotional Support Forum is also semi-active. But there aren’t new posts there everyday.

You can’t build a community, if some of the existing residents are forced out.

Like any community, there have been differences of opinion and some conflict. People leave. They don’t return. They have found other resources.

Right now, BT has a core of loyal, faithful, kind, loving, caring members, who want what is best for our community.

While we haven’t contributed monetarily, we contribute every day here following the purpose of BT: communication and support.

We don’t need stress or conflict. You don’t need that either, David.

I pray that we can all come together and peacefully agree that we will discontinue discussing politics on BT. It isn’t worth the energy and stress for any of us.

We need to LOVE each other.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Some of us have donated monetarily to BT. For one, we paid for the new Apple equipment John Lester bought after the flood.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David, you are not going to like your post when you re-read it tomorrow.ANN
    To be honest, I don't like this whole thread. I don't like seeing politics in our community.I have received countless countless "comments" regarding BrainTalk becoming a political discussion community.To put my "official" capacity aside, and to speak as a member who has been here since 1999, I feel that we really need a more "return to the womb" attitude if we are going to ever get back to being BrainTalk again. We need to focus on what we really are meant to be.A Neurological Information and Support Community.That's what I came here for in 1999. That's why I stayed. That's what I am trying to restore.I don't like inferences that my "neurological disorder" (epilepsy) somehow effects my competence in any way, of being a good leader here.Epilepsy never stopped me from making a career as a professional chef, being an EFA support group facilitator, or spending 17 years working here with BTC.Yes, I am human, I do have bad days.I may have posted a bit rashly here.Perhaps this should/could have been dealt with more privately.I apologize if things were taken as insults or attacks. They certainly were not meant as such.I can make these posts disappear if it makes everyone more comfortable.My purpose initially was to inform, not kick open a hornet's nest.Perhaps my absence as community manager has simply left me out of practice with PR.

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be honest, I don't like this whole thread. I don't like seeing politics in our community.I have received countless countless "comments" regarding BrainTalk becoming a political discussion community.To put my "official" capacity aside, and to speak as a member who has been here since 1999, I feel that we really need a more "return to the womb" attitude if we are going to ever get back to being BrainTalk again. We need to focus on what we really are meant to be.A Neurological Information and Support Community.That's what I came here for in 1999. That's why I stayed. That's what I am trying to restore.I don't like inferences that my "neurological disorder" (epilepsy) somehow effects my competence in any way, of being a good leader here.Epilepsy never stopped me from making a career as a professional chef, being an EFA support group facilitator, or spending 17 years working here with BTC.Yes, I am human, I do have bad days.I may have posted a bit rashly here.Perhaps this should/could have been dealt with more privately.I apologize if things were taken as insults or attacks. They certainly were not meant as such.I can make these posts disappear if it makes everyone more comfortable.My purpose initially was to inform, not kick open a hornet's nest.Perhaps my absence as community manager has simply left me out of practice with PR.
    Thank you David...for everything. I am perfectly comfortable with Braintalk and do understand the issues with a politics thread. Sometimes I think we can all act childish and threaten to gather our marbles and go home. Please don’t !
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, I feel by your post, there is a great misunderstanding here.

I am not saying there will be any type of banning...

I am saying that we must return to the policy of zero political discussion in this community.
    This is not because of my personal decision. This is a decision of the majority of the Board of Directors based on what is written in our Articles of Incorporation.
    Even as president of the organization, I cannot alone, go against the decisions of the Board of Directors. Their interpretation of the articles of organization stand.

The user agreement and TOS state that political discussion are not allowed in the community. This has been the case since we were founded. I now know the exact reasons.

During the time you speak of, when the political thread made it's showing in the MS forum, I was not available for consult. The decision to allow it to continue was made by Mike, an "Ex Facto" Director, like myself at that time. Basically "acting" positions, we had little or no resources to the tools needed to effectively do the jobs we were holding here at BT. Unfortunately this decision was a mistake.

I came back from what had caused my absence as community manager. I discovered the issue, and knew it had to end. I did not blame anyone except myself, and my absence. No punitive action was taken. The posts were removed.

I am sorry for any confusion over this issue.
    All I am saying is political discussion in this community can't continue any longer.

Asking me to provide documentation of our nonprofit status, or documentation of anything because I announce policy is what opened this can of worms....

I am certainly not considering banning anyone here for simply speaking their mind.
    I don't know where that came up.
    Though certain things might be best said via PM.

If members do violate the user agreement, and continue to posting about political issues, the may be subject to banning for violating the TOS.

I would not be doing what I am if I did not have strong feeling for everyone here.

It has been a long day for me.
    I am going to go have dinner.

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I generally think ending political discussion here is the better option. I think the people who discussed politics here did it very respectfully though so well done to us. My apologies if anything I said politically was offensive.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just for the record, and since Rose mentioned that she wasn't sure when the blog began:

The first politics blog post is dated 9/24/19 but that went up only after checking with the admin by PM. On October 1 I was notified by the admin that the blogs are a user's own personal space and that people can post pretty much anything they want there so long as it's peaceful and clean--and no spamming.

Everyone who took part in that blog was respectful and peaceful. Eventually the blog was made more open, and everyone was still respectful and peaceful. But I'm sure all of us have been around here long enough to realize that we were on shaky ground discussing politics here just because the rules about it have always been strict--and that the admins could decide against using a blog to discuss politics.

They do have to account for themselves to various higher-ups who have control over whether this place exists.

We had 5 months of being able to talk about our politics concerns at a time when they were very much on our minds. I'm glad we had that opportunity to experiment with political discussion here, at that particular time.
    Last edited by agate; 02-26-2020 at 09:31 AM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast