Thread: New electric wheelchair crashes on test but will be available next year

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default New electric wheelchair crashes on test but will be available next year

This new type of electric wheelchair crashed into a wall during a test but aside from that little episode, which doesn't seem to concern the Segway manufacturers much, what's your opinion of its design?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-...020_technology

More about it here, and it doesn't look as if it's in any way meant for disabled people:

Last edited by agate; 01-20-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Looks a little bulky to me, but having never used one I am not a good one to say. I guess in the places it is being designed for it might be alright. It should have a place for luggage if it is going to be used in airports.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I might like to drive it, but at slow speeds, like the speed of a normal walker in a store. Not at 24 mph!

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Having vast experiences with various styles of wheelchairs (we have 4 of Jon's in our garage waiting to donate), I would not consider this thing a "wheelchair." If it's intended to be marketed to people with disabilities, it fails. It should be tested with people of varying ages with assorted disabling conditions, before it is ever sold as a DME.

Access and egress to it is my first concern for a person with disabilities or an elderly person, who doesn't move as quickly as the young man, who demonstrated it. Seat belt? None visible. The seat has a "suede" padding. That won't cushion a bottom for very long, so duration of use is limited.

The lack of visibility on the side and to the back means that someone could be coming up behind or beside you and run into or sideswipe you. The demonstrator put on a helmet to use the "chair." That's not a good sign. But, if you're going 24 mph in that thing, and it tips over, you could definitely be injured.

Even if it met the criteria of safety for people with disabilities, the cost of it would be prohibitive.

This is just a new toy for people with too much expendable income.

It also reminds me of space invasion and futuristic movies from the 1930s to the 1960s. Or the Jetsons. It's not that those movies were prophetic or visionary. It's that Segway is copying them with this whatever-it-is.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exactly, Rose--it's clearly just meant for those who want to have some fun zipping around.

I am a bit concerned though about whether these "wheelchairs" might become so popular and common that they would run some of the the rest of us down. The price might be too high for most people though.

As for the safety belt,

Segway's director of marketing Jeff Wu told the BBC the concept model did not have a safety belt, but that his company intended to add one.
    Odd that they didn't think of that before the accident occurred....
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

some of you may remember I was one of the firsts to purchase a Segway. It a phenomenal piece of equipment. A lot of people who were early adopters had post polio syndrome.

My Segway corrected for my balance a hundred times a second. This wheelchair weighs 100’s of pounds....goes 45 miles before needing a charge....very interesting creation but years from having an everyday prototype .i think.

Anyway, go to YouTube and watch videos by doing a search for s-pod. I do not subscribe but use YouTube as I use google search.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I'm all for new science and technology but this is far from being ready for use.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"