Thread: (OT) Wild West Dept.: Coyotes on the prowl

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default (OT) Wild West Dept.: Coyotes on the prowl

Sometimes I look at the messages on Nextdoor.com for the neighborhood I live in, and today this caught my attention. Even though I no longer have a cat, I worry about the cats out there. I even worry about Sam who is clear across the continent. Coyotes can turn up anywhere.

3 coyotes just walked past my car, 2 of them had a cat in their mouths. One was black (at least dark) I think, one was black with some white. Keep your cats indoors. Seriously.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Wow! Well, rest assured, Sam doesn't go out anymore. Right now, she's beside the laptop sleeping. That would be horrible to have your cat killed by a wild animal.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Yep, I worry about my two cats since I've seen coyotes in my own fenced backyard. I never let the cats out before 9 in the morning and have them in by 2 in the afternoon. Only one of my cats even ventures to the front yard, but still stays close to the house. When she is out I keep the slider open about 6 or 8 inches so she can get inside if need be. My other cat will only go out in the morning to sit in the sun for a short time just 5 feet from the slider where she feels safe.

My brother in S.Calif. once had his small dog grabbed by coyote on his front lawn in broad daylight as his wife was unloading groceries from the car. Luckily, she screamed and the coyote dropped the dog and ran off.
    Another time my brother was walking his dog and passing cars kept honking at him. Finally someone pulled up and rolled down their window to tell him to pick up his dog because there was a coyote 10 feet behind him, stalking his dog. He was shocked to see that there sure enough was one following him. He's heard people have had small dogs snatched while walking them on leashes!

Another brother lives in Las Vegas. He sent me a video of a coyote walking by someone's swimming pool with a black and white kitty in its mouth. The coyote then easily jumped up on top of a tall block wall, then down the other side with it's dinner find. I didn't know they could jump that high!
    Coyotes are everywhere these days and unafraid of humans!

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

They do seem to be unafraid of humans. They have been seen around the area I live in and I have seen on our Nextdoor Neighbor Site where someone will post they have seen one and the area. Another reminder to everyone around here to watch their pets carefully.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

We have lots of coyotes in our area, and I suspect a couple of the stray cats I adopted in the late 1980s were snatched by them. In the late '90s, Jim was walking our dog one evening, and he watched a coyote jump over a brick fence, as you described, nuthatch, and grab a small dog in the home's backyard.

Thankfully, the stray cat, who survived and lived with us for 17 years, knew not to go outside of our backyard. She would walk with me and our dog on our greenbelt then come home.

Other prey for our coyotes are cottontail rabbits, squirrels, and small possums.

A few years ago, a neighbor was driving around our streets warning walkers that two coyotes were roaming the neighborhood. While I would never approach a coyote, I don't think they'd attack me or any human adult. One morning, I had a stare down with a coyote, who was across a wide span of greenbelt. The coyote just turned around and scampered in the other direction.

In all fairness to the coyotes, they were here before we were, and we encroached on their habitat. Their survival instinct doesn't distinguish between a wild or domestic animal. They're just hungry.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Yep, coyotes are hungry. We have them here, too. We saw two in the nearby church parking lot. We called the neighborhood hotline thing - it’s called the “night mayor.” The guy on duty said to just leave them alone. Well, yeah! We called because it was about 7 PM in the summer and children live all around here and often play and learn to ride their bikes in that lot.

Our Nextdoor has had threads about coyotes, too.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do they have an interest in scavenging? Sometimes I find plastic trash bags that have been deposited in the dumpster by residents, and they (the bags, not the residents) have big gashes in them as if an animal has clawed them open.

I've always assumed it was done by raccoons but maybe coyotes will do the same trick.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Thought of Rose when I read this that my SIL posted on facebook. Scary!
    https://ktla.com/2020/01/20/child-at...n-lake-forest/

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

nuthatch ~

I saw that story too. It is scary, and mountain lions are prevalent in California wilderness areas and parks. As far as I know, we don't have any mountain lions in our area. They are definitely a different kettle of fish from coyotes. I guarantee I'd never stare down a mountain lion. Or a bear!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"