Thread: About the politics blog

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default About the politics blog

The politics discussion blog has been going on three and a half months now.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in it, and what interest there was is dwindling. It's hard to think about looking into the Blogs section here when you usually just come in and look at the first page of the MS board. You have to be interested enough to remember to look into the blogs section to see if there is anything new posted in the Politics blog.

FYI, there has been something new almost every day so far but it's mainly been my posts.

I'd like to thank those who tried to keep it going but maybe the time has come to give it up. It just didn't go over. The format is a bit difficult for a discussion, and it just isn't catching on.

What do you think?
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

The politics in our nation is so frightening, and vile right now, that I limit mylsef to reading the news in the morning, and then nothing else.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey all !

over the years, i've noticed that the forums generally slow down during the winter (after Christmas). some forums are always busy, especially this forum.

personally, i check the political blogs daily for new posts. sometimes, i like to think about the topic before i respond. sometimes, i am trying to cut down my internet time.

yes, it was easier to just come here and check the politics thread and comment....and i was just going back through the ms topics pages to check how many pages the "politics" thread had and i don't see it! i know it was closed, but where did it go? close to 300 pages of opinions, links, information and feelings just disappeared, like they were nothing, like they didn't happen, kind of like what they call "gaslighting" in politics right now, (yes, we'll just hide that information in a special server accessible by secret code only. it never happened. the tree fell in the woods and no one was there to hear the sound, so it didn't happen).

i'm glad you started the blogs, agate and you can decide what you want to do, maybe just keeping the current topics posted and not starting any new ones and letting the last topic be one "thread", might be an answer. it was a good alternative to the politics thread...because even though WE ARE BT, sometimes we don't get what we want....

jeannie (tic chick)
    Last edited by tic chick; 01-08-2020 at 11:56 AM.
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member

I like what Chic Tic had to say. I always check the blog and I have enjoyed having it there. Often there was not a topic that I wanted to post under and I just noticed how to start a new one a few days ago. I think this is up to Agate whether to try to keep it going or not.

Another thing with me, there have been a few days this year that I have not had time for the forum due to being in Long Term Care Insurance, Co-pay assistance, Drug Company goof up, and Community Home Owners Assoc HELL. I have spent hours and hours on the phone. Yesterday I had to give it up for a day in order to go get my hair cut and colored. Today I have been back at it. So right at this moment I am not dependable. So far almost nothing has been accomplished.
    Virginia

7. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I certainly read your political posts agate. I just talk about politics so often when I'm NOT online that I may not have anything to add to the discussion because my politics quota in my brain is used up, or I may be busy with my work. I have nothing against the posts. BT may simply be an escape from politics for others.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 01-08-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

9. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I appreciate the input!

I'm prepared to abandon the politics blog as an experiment that was tried but failed. People who are very much in the habit of dealing with a message board regularly find it difficult to use that message board in a different way--by remembering to click on "Blogs" and see what's going on there.

Also, some just don't want to think about politics. Or maybe some other time.

As for what happened to the long Politics thread we had for quite a while, I thought it would just be locked and drop down to another page but still be accessible. But the admins opted to delete it entirely. I believe that was because they had decided that politics has no place whatsoever on the BrainTalk message boards (excluding apparently the blogs section).

With a neurological disorder we don't handle stress well as has often been noted. Politics can be very stressful as a discussion topic. We tried hard to keep the politics thread peaceful enough but there seem to have been those who found it stressful just to see it there among the threads on the MS forum.

I'm also willing to keep the politics blog going--and maybe just one long continuous post will do best, and then people can come in and post about any political topic that is on their minds. I tried to do that a while back but the idea didn't seem to work.

11. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

over the years, i've noticed that the forums generally slow down during the winter (after Christmas). some forums are always busy, especially this forum.
    tic chick, you're absolutely right about the holiday slowdown. I had no idea there was so much interest now but the replies so far are very encouraging. I won't end the Politics blog after all.

Virginia, life does get in the way of looking at Internet message boards! Hope your situation will calm down.

13. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Agate, I use to handle all this stuff, when it stacked up like this, in a more calm and centered way. I might get a little angry sometime, but now it is all I can do to keep up with everything. I do at times feel like I am coming unglued. All of these things have deadlines. One thing I got an answer on today and another got 1/2 the answer and will have to wait to see what happens to the other half. I will know next week. There are a couple of other things that are pending that have deadlines on them.

I am glad you have made the decision to keep the politics blog going for awhile. You can always stop it later if you see it is too much or the participation is not what you feel warrants keeping it going.
    Virginia

15. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

It may be that the world is coming unglued, not so much you, Virginia.

Hours and hours on the phone are very tiring, I think. And sometimes you get nowhere after all of the hours spent.

17. The following 2 users say "thanks"