Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Messages from Tom Cat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From TomCat:

Just had a sunny opening in the clouds for a few minutes. I've had up to 4 deer--does--in the back yard, as close as 50 feet from the house. Also a pileated woodpecker, some striped sparrows, robins, etc., around. Slowly spring is coming. Keep me in touch how all of you are doing, the folks on BrainTalk. I do enjoy hearing from you and I send all of you many virtual hugs. Take care.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From TomCat:

Just had a sunny opening in the clouds for a few minutes. I've had up to 4 deer--does--in the back yard, as close as 50 feet from the house. Also a pileated woodpecker, some striped sparrows, robins, etc., around. Slowly spring is coming. Keep me in touch how all of you are doing, the folks on BrainTalk. I do enjoy hearing from you and I send all of you many virtual hugs. Take care.
    Hello,
    I had a female wild turkey 5’ from my door. I have heard her clucking about. She must have laid eggs nearby. I have a lot of overgrowth so birds of all sorts live in and out of the weeds and old wooded areas. I have the smaller red bellied woodpecker...makes a heck of a lot of noise!
    Take care of yourself and thanks for posting to us.
    Linda
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

From Tom Cat, replying to Lazarus:

Yesterday's snow is gone. It sounds like Linda lives on some acreage.

I've had some real waking up encounters with hen turkeys in the past here. This is about ten years back. I have a small, 1/2 acre prairie piece, surrounded by mixed woods. There is a path around it. At the time I had up to 18 turkeys or more on the land. Several hens had young. I came around on the path when suddenly 6 or so young ran in front of me. I slowed down to not run over any. The hen bursts out of the brush and almost lands on the golf cart roof. I gunned the golf cart, top speed about 15 mpg, with that hen alongside, cackling like all get-out.
    I went almost 50 yds. before the hen stopped trying to jump up and get me with her [spars?]. After that if I see young turkeys I keep my distance. Anyway it was a thrilling experience.

We have the red-bellied woodpecker here too. I like to call them the "red hooded woodpecker" since that's much more red than their bellies. I have a hairy woodpecker who loves to tear up the T-11 plywood siding. It gets insects in it. I need to spray insecticide in the holes, then plug the holes. If the insects die, the woodpecker shouldn't do any more drilling.

There are downy woodpeckers as well as flickers around now too. We also have at least one pileated woodpecker too. He sounds like a jack hammer when it's beating on the trees. Chunks of wood the size of your fingers fly when they are drilling holes in the trees.

Enough for now. Take care.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This is from yesterday. I had mentioned nuthatch's bear sighting:

Bears I have some faith in. Usually if you go one way they go the other unless they have cubs. We've had bear off and on the property, at least 4 times that we know about. Usually they [year?] up bird feeders for sunflower seeds....My understanding is they try to avoid people for the most part, but if confronted they're formidable animals. Capable of taking down prey twice their size or more. Also grizzly bear. They've had confirmed sightings of cougar in Wisconsin this year, and the last few years, on trail cameras. Probably out of Canada.

Cold here the last week, high 20's to low 30's in the morning, to 40's in the afternoons. A couple of days made it into the 50's. Overcast, but little rain. Makes for little work outside.

I have good news for next week, Monday. I got a reschedule for laser surgery on the left eye. They cancelled it 2 weeks back. I had the right one done earlier. It takes about 10 minutes or less, after they get you prepped. I have blurry vision after reading for more than 30-45 minutes. I had cataract surgery a few years back. This is scar tissue that may have developed. If I take a break from close up, I get clearer vision back in about 45 minutes. I sure hope this works. The procedure is fast and it sounds like you're being shot with a bb gun. After that you go home. A little blurry from the debris of the scar tissue removal but that settles out in a few hours and is absorbed in a few days.

My friend Joe will be back Sunday for a few weeks. We'll be putting in some plum trees and the like. And tilling some short cut grassy wooded areas with a Mantis rototiller. It's small but digs good when you pull it backwards. It makes nice 1 1/2 inch deep furrow, ideal for seeding in. Pulling the tiller backwards is hard on the arms and back, but I recovered okay after an hour yesterday. Wouldn't want to do it for more than an hour without resting. Those days are long gone by.

Take care.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This from Tom Cat on Tuesday:

We put in 3 plum trees with 5 ft. diameter and 5 ft. high wire cages. Hopefully that will keep the deer out until the trees can take some wildlife pruning.

I got laser surgery on my left eye yesterday. I'm not sure how much good it did. It's getting blurry right now.

In the front prairie garden I got the poppies transplanted around Ann's butterfly-chasing cat. I hope they all take. She really liked them. ... Our star magnolia is finally starting to bloom. Over a month late....Take care.

From Saturday:

Doing okay, trying to get the gravel piles, & branches picked up from winter. That way the new grasses & flowers can show through. Got out fishing one evening with Joe. It's been around 8 yrs. Ann & I went out on a dock I built for a while. She [would] say she wanted to go out, but always changed her mind. I gave up asking.

The woodchuck has been in & out, but no deer or turkeys during the day. My neighbor sees the fox now & then. The star magnolia tree is in bloom right now. The flowers come out before the leaves. It too is blooming almost a month late. Anyway I know Ann liked watching it in bloom out of the living room window. I took a cutting of it & out it on her cat urn marker. See the picture.

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

More from Tom Cat:

Thursday:

Still spending too much time on book work and finances. Pretty much in isolation, except for a short trip to the grocery store between 6 and 8 AM about every 10 days, and a blood draw and hemoglobin shots at a hospital every 3 weeks....It's a mess with the state legislation and governor at odds. Politics has superseded good medical practices.... We've been doing very well in Wisconsin, until the legislators stirred the pot up. Now a lot of the folks are really confused.

I'm working on the prairies, mowing down some of the dead grasses to let more light in since we couldn't get the burns we wanted.

The cats are doing fine, and after their morning snack are asleep on the bed.

With it wet but a warm 50 out there right now, I'll be working inside today. I hope you and your friends are doing okay.

We do have two buck deer right now, a couple of red fox with 2 young, a woodchuck or two, and a herd of gray and red squirrels. the cardinals, goldfinch, chickadees, several woodpeckers, cooper hawks, and barred owls, etc., are out there too.

Stay well.

Sunday:

Hi Joan!
    A stormy day, in the high 40s, with rain and 35-plus wind gusts. We had 3 days or so up to the 70's, bright and dry.

Had a Cooper's hawk in the back yard on an old dead tree. It stayed around for several minutes. They're neat to watch since they can fly through the trees in the wood. They mainly eat other birds. Years back the crows were dive-bombing a Cooper's hawk in the air, it got pissed, turned upside down and grabbed that crow. All the other crows went dead silent.

Take care.

Last edited by agate; 05-18-2020 at 04:23 PM.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

From Friday:

Had some nice sunny days into the 70's and now it's cooled down. Things are starting to grow, and the apple and cherry trees, plus some bushes are in bloom. Time to get all the gravel piles from the snow plow shoveled up before the grass grows over it, and I mow gravel.

I have two does in the fields now. My neighbor has a doe and a very young fawn. A couple of days back the fawn was wobbling behind its momma. It's more steady now. Rose-breasted grosbeaks, orioles, and indigo buntings are here now too. Maybe summer is finally on the way.

Take care

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

From Sunday:

It's been up and down weather, cold then warm, dry then rainy, but now things have started to grow on the prairies. First a few wood violets, and now the lupines are starting blooming. I have deer running around, and my neighbors had a doe in their driveway at the beginning of the week, with a newborn fawn. Its body was about the size of a cat, with long skinny wobbly legs. It could hardly keep up with its mommy. It's come in one more time and now is now walking steady.

...The foxes are still around and have two kits, which are pretty grown now. We also have a barred owl or two. One flies through the prairie in the early morning or late evening. From the living room, which is 30 or 40 feet above the prairie, you can see the back of the owl. It's neat to watch them as they glide off the ground.

So things are picking up. I'm still struggling with paper work and trying to clear things up around the house. Joe helped me get up to the dock, and I got to do some fishing. Caught a few blue gill pan fish. First time back fishing in 6 to 8 years.

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

The photos and message are from Tom Cat--I think it was Monday but am not sure (sorry for the delay):

These are some of the flowers that are out right now. Lupines, one of the goldenrods, and bleeding hearts. Ann really liked the bleeding hearts. These are growing under a Colorado (blue) spruce, where the shade keeps them flowering for a long time. The lupines are the egg-laying plants for the Karner blue butterfly. It's a small, dime-size, royal blue butterfly. They're endangered and really [inconspicuous].

The poppies I transplanted around Ann's butterfly urn marker didn't make it too well. Two out of 4 are still growing. After I transplanted them, the night temperature dropped below freezing for a week, and even mulched they didn't make it. If the others flower, I'll take a picture of them.

Time to get things ready to go for a fish cookout with Joe and family. Take care.

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I am glad to see Ralph getting out and going for a fish cookout with friends. That is good for him.
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast