No announcement yet.

Messages from Tom Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've forwarded Sunshine's and Virginia's messages to TomCat because as far as I know he's not able to read the posts here.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Another message and photos:

Message from Tom Cat:

First of all, this is the snow fall we had last night. About 2 in. ...I removed some of it by the buildings and the house. By the afternoon most of it had melted away. In the meantime yesterday I got to see the ophthalmologist ... 35 miles east of here. I got there and they were ready to do the laser surgery. I [gave] the ophthalmologist the okay, and he put holes in the scar tissue, which should flatten the surface inside and remove the astigmatism. It sounded like a bb gun.... Hopefully my blurry vision after reading for 45 minutes will improve. ...

I had a [grief] counselor stopping by once a month through February. I think my GP had her come since he knew I was in bad shape, right after Ann died. I'm overall doing OK, and some of Ann's church friends find I'm doing better than they thought I would. That's been encouraging. This is going to take some time. I was on meds for a bit for anxiety, which made me feel better at first, but because I was getting things done around the house, by the end of a week or two it was worse. Stopped them and have been having my ups and downs, but pushing along.

My neighbor ... calls me each morning around 9 AM to make sure I'm still around. ...As one friend wrote me: "Stay close to anything that makes you feel glad to be alive." I'm trying to do that, and hope I'm not wearing out my welcome. I'll be staying in touch. Take care, Agate and say hello to the folks at BrainTalk.

TC's still hanging in there.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Thanks so much for the update on how you are doing! I am a farmer and know well how when you fix one thing another breaks. I think all our old tractors talk to each other and plan these breakdowns!
        Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Wow TC, your pretty blue eyed Smudge sure has some large paws. Reminds me of a six toed cat we had when we lived in Wisconsin back in 1971 (oops, dating myself here!). Brings back memories. I don't think I've ever been without a cat in my life. I have two presently.
          Think of you often and I'm glad you are doing okay.

Comment

I forwarded Linda's and nuthatch's messages to TC.

I've been slow at doing the forwarding because of a plumbing problem I had to deal with.

Comment

From TC:

The cats say Good morning:

Comment

This is from yesterday:
                The weather has gotten into the 50's a couple of days in the afternoon, and then mornings in the 20's with highs in the 30's. But it is ever changing March. Dried out for several days, so I did a small prairie burn yesterday between small islands of snow. It went better than I thought it would. About 5,000 square feet. Where you're from the farm, that's about 1/10 acre, aye? An acre is 43,560 square feet if my old mind is till working right Stuff that only folks in agriculture or forestry think of, yes?

Ann would ask me why I had this type of stuff in my head. It was hard to explain that when you buy fertilizer or lime or seed you'll get on the bag how much you need per so many square feet or acres, and then you get to convert it to your needs. I think that makes sense to you. The general public thinks it's nuts to know that...

When we went to Norway I would convert the Celsius temperature to Fahrenheit for Ann in my head, and the same with distances and weights....

Today it snowed 1/2 inch this morning.

My laser eye surgery and dental checkup have been cancelled "until further notice." I think that means being tabled in parliamentary procedures, yes?

This coronavirus 19 is keeping most of us at home, and I don't know if I got out and shop which stores ares till open. I have blood work and hemoglobin shots due Monday. I hope that's still on schedule. ...

I take it most of you on BrainTalk have MS or possibly other immune deficiency diseases. Let me know how things are going on BrainTalk. Take care.

Picture of the prairie burn TC discusses:

Additional message:
                [A picture] I took of the burn area this morning. There were some bulb plants in here too. Tulips, crocus, and daffodils. With the ground cold, I don't think the turn hurt the crowns on the bulb plants. Most prairie plants have root systems from 4 to 10 feet deep, to take burns and drought. My lead plant, which is more a shrub, has a 15 feet deep root system. In front of the house, where Ann's ashes were placed in a small prairie garden, it has many Dutch bulbs mixed in. If I can get a burn in there shortly, it should not hurt the bulbs, and have lush growth in April.

I need to transfer some of the poppies over Ann. They are one of her favorite flowers.

Need to take a walk (8/10 mile round trip) to the mailbox and exercise the legs. Mid-30's today, with rain. So what type of farming are you doing? Row cropping, cattle or other animals, dairy, etc.? Don't know many farmers since leaving our 8 years in Georgia, where I spent about 3 years with SCS. It was a different world. It felt more like a foreign country to me than the 2-1/2 years I spent in service in the Republic of the Philippines. Strange world. Take care.

Last edited by agate; 03-19-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...we are all connected...

Comment

He's aimed some questions at the farmers and gardeners among us. Seems to me Cat mentioned once that he is a master gardener.

Comment

A new message from TC:
                      Good afternoon. Getting ready to do some lunch. A cool morning, starting out at 16 degrees.

Things are tightening down. Most restaurants are only doing takeout now. The bars are closed. The groceries have 6 to 8 AM hours for seniors, and after that for the regular public.

My friend Joe, a few hours ago, brought his big camper-trailer up to the house. He may not be allowed to move it on the road later. The acres has next to me are under 10, so he can't keep it there except for a weekend. I have water and hose and electric connections for him. Also a septic tank for his waste. He'll probably be parked here for the next couple of months or so. He may be doing his work from a computer here at times.

My other neighbor, who was helping me on the computer, has a kidney transplant from about 6 years. It is now only 10% functional. She also has diabetes. She doesn't want another transplant. She's doing okay at home right now but is on hospice standby. She no longer will be going to [choir?] practice and definitely not working a poll registration in April. She helped me this morning getting registered for an absentee ballot. That made a lot of sense.

Nice and sunny out right now. I'm being careful, and won't be stopping in anywhere until after my blood work and shots on Monday. Wishing all of you with MS the best through this covid-19 crisis. Take care.

Comment

Another message:

I'm sending you and all our friends on BrainTalk my deepest thoughts, that they will make it well through this crisis. Take care.

Comment

A message and a couple of photos from Tom Cat:

Well my furry kids are having a good time, squirrel watching. They are great company.

I am glad to see that GM is manufacturing respirators, even though Washington has not signed a contract with them yet. I would hope more industries will step up to the plate, & do the same for medical gear for nurses, doctors, all medical personnel.

It's in the 40's for the whole week, with rain most days. Trying to psyche myself up to do things. Times are depressing for us all. It's hard to stand 6 ft away, when each of us need a hug. I send you, & those around you a virtual HUG. Take care

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                            This is from yesterday:
                            The weather has gotten into the 50's a couple of days in the afternoon, and then mornings in the 20's with highs in the 30's. But it is ever changing March. Dried out for several days, so I did a small prairie burn yesterday between small islands of snow. It went better than I thought it would. About 5,000 square feet. Where you're from the farm, that's about 1/10 acre, aye? An acre is 43,560 square feet if my old mind is till working right Stuff that only folks in agriculture or forestry think of, yes?

Ann would ask me why I had this type of stuff in my head. It was hard to explain that when you buy fertilizer or lime or seed you'll get on the bag how much you need per so many square feet or acres, and then you get to convert it to your needs. I think that makes sense to you. The general public thinks it's nuts to know that...

When we went to Norway I would convert the Celsius temperature to Fahrenheit for Ann in my head, and the same with distances and weights....

Today it snowed 1/2 inch this morning.

My laser eye surgery and dental checkup have been cancelled "until further notice." I think that means being tabled in parliamentary procedures, yes?

This coronavirus 19 is keeping most of us at home, and I don't know if I got out and shop which stores ares till open. I have blood work and hemoglobin shots due Monday. I hope that's still on schedule. ...

I take it most of you on BrainTalk have MS or possibly other immune deficiency diseases. Let me know how things are going on BrainTalk. Take care.

Picture of the prairie burn TC discusses:

Additional message:
                            [A picture] I took of the burn area this morning. There were some bulb plants in here too. Tulips, crocus, and daffodils. With the ground cold, I don't think the turn hurt the crowns on the bulb plants. Most prairie plants have root systems from 4 to 10 feet deep, to take burns and drought. My lead plant, which is more a shrub, has a 15 feet deep root system. In front of the house, where Ann's ashes were placed in a small prairie garden, it has many Dutch bulbs mixed in. If I can get a burn in there shortly, it should not hurt the bulbs, and have lush growth in April.

I need to transfer some of the poppies over Ann. They are one of her favorite flowers.

Need to take a walk (8/10 mile round trip) to the mailbox and exercise the legs. Mid-30's today, with rain. So what type of farming are you doing? Row cropping, cattle or other animals, dairy, etc.? Don't know many farmers since leaving our 8 years in Georgia, where I spent about 3 years with SCS. It was a different world. It felt more like a foreign country to me than the 2-1/2 years I spent in service in the Republic of the Philippines. Strange world. Take care.

We do an acre of potatoes and almost an acre of peas, bean, another couple of acres between eggplant, peppers..etc. 2 greenhouses stuffed with veggies growing nicely right now! Fig trees planted in the ground inside the houses ( oil heat during winter) loads of unique houseplants.
                            There has been no snow this winter which was great in the sense that we did not have to worry about clearing the snow from the greenhouses.

Take care. It is nice to get your messages.
                            Linda
                            Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Ralph, there are many across the country suffering the loneliness you spoke of. It is just that you are facing it while grieving at the same time.

Try to remember that this too shall end. I am glad you have the cats. They look like they are happy cats who bring you joy.
                              Virginia

Comment

A message from TomCat:

The little red squirrel is eating sunflower seeds out of the top of this caged feeder. Usually they can get into most of the caged feeders. This one has narrower openings, so the red squirrel is eating seeds out of the top. This feeder is under the eaves in the bedroom. I put it up for Ann several years ago so she could see birds from the bed.

Comment

Working...
                                X