Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Messages from Tom Cat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A new message with a couple of photos:

I think my path to the lake front is closed for now, yes? It looks like I got my project for the day.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

From August 28 (about the fallen tree shown in the previous post):

The tree was quite alive and going well. It was on the edge of a pond on the lower end of the property. The soil on the roots got saturated enough that the roots let go and it fell over. I spent time on and off yesterday cutting up the crown. Being 79, and tiring easy, it was an hour on and half hour off for much of the day. I cleared enough of the crown so I can drive around it with the golf cart to our small front on the lake. I'm clearing it up slowly, cutting up the heavier branches for firewood, and will be running the smaller branches through our chipper/shredder. The main trunk is off the path, so I'll be cutting it up later for firewood for my outer garage and workshop. The tree was not in an area where I have to get in and out each day. Five years ago this cut-up job would have been a walk in the park. But not now.

Also having a tree fall like that is not uncommon here. I have an 18-inch good chainsaw and loopers that will cut 1 1/2 inch green wood branches. The chain saw weights about 16 to 18 lbs., so is heavy when cutting much above your waist.

This morning the joints are letting me know I had more than enough exercise yesterday.

Stay safe and take care.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Tom Cat)))))) ~

Do you have neighbors or friends, who might be able to help you with these very big, heavy, and difficult chores? I'm concerned for your well being with over-exertion. Please be careful!

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, I'll relay your question to Tom Cat but in the meantime there was also this message on Tuesday, which I hadn't yet got around to posting. (I've been busy dealing with my TV set that wasn't working. Odd how something like that can be very time and energy intensive.)

Spent much of the weekend [that would be the weekend before this one] with my friend Joe and some of his family. They had me down to their camp for several meals. We discussed expanding the prairie on his side this fall. I've been collecting seed for it on the dry days. I need to find time between things, cleaning the seed from the flower heads.

He also had a friend who picked up an 18-year-old pull-behind lawn mower, which he was going to fix for his own use. Even paid me for it. It was headed for the dump otherwise.

Also we took some 30-year-old corrugated sheet metal off old buildings. His friend wanted it for the ceiling in a rec room. A lot of it was rusty. It's an in thing right now. It's hard to believe some of the old scrap around here people want to buy. It's a weird feeling that WW2 stuff is now antiques. Almost makes you feel old, aye?

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Ralph seems to keep some projects lined up. I think it is a good thing. It also keeps him in contact with neighbors and friends. I believe it has been a year sometime this month since Cat passed away. Maybe he is doing a little better. I hope so.
    Virginia

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Tom Cat's reply to Rose--there's a message for Virginia too, and I'll post it soon.

No, Rose, I have but one neighbor nearby, and he's a few years younger than I. Most upkeep on the land and house I do alone. I know Ann was concerned when I got on the roof and removed snow many a winter, when it piled up to 3 or 4 feet at the top. I do get help with that sometimes now.

I got a new lawnmower/tractor this summer which I can put a snow blower on this winter. Up to now I blew snow with a walk-behind blower. tine in town, but on our 1200-foot driveway, I have to push it uphill. I have someone plowing it after a few inches, but it has to be blown several times to keep the driveway open.

Cutting tall dead or storm-damaged trees is a yearly thing here. Also I use the wood for my outer garage/workshop.

I do have breakfast most mornings with Marty, who is in the woods about 100 yards away. He, his wife, Ann, and I went to college together. His wife ... just died from kidney failure and diabetes 2 weeks back.

It's still a struggle at times, but I'm hanging in there. Take care and thanks for the message. That keeps me going.
    Last edited by agate; 09-12-2020 at 07:46 AM.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Tom Cat to Virginia (not sure what he means about the date of Cat Dancer's death--I thought it was September 17):

Hi Virginia!

Yes, it'll be a week plus, when Ann died. I'm glad I got the memorial service together last December. It wasn't anything big, but I think Ann would have thought it okay. In one of her writings she mentioned that she didn't think anyone would come to see her passing. I hope I proved that untrue. She really had a hard time holding things together the last year as her cognitive abilities kept failing. I hope I did the right thing, keeping her home until the end. She was a strong-willed and intellectual lady to the end. I'm glad to have had her for 51 years. Thank you for asking.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Tom Cat)))))) ~

I'm happy to hear that you have a lawnmower/tractor to make these chores a bit easier for you.

And, I'm glad that you and Marty have each other for companionship. I'm so sorry that Marty lost his wife. My mother died of renal failure from diabetes, so I can imagine Marty's wife had lots of difficult health issues. It's good that you have each other for support, as you can understand what the other is going through.

A half century together is quite a long time, and being separated after that long requires a tremendous adjustment. I think you've been quite strong and have maintained your home and property so well.

Why would Ann think that no one would come to a service for her? She is dearly loved here on the MS Forum. I wasn't able to attend her virtual service, as I was having connection problems then. But, I thought about her, you, and her MS family the entire time.

Ralph, I understand why you wonder if you did the right thing for Ann keeping her at home. I had those thoughts about my husband, but I knew that he would not have the care he needed anywhere but at home. She was there with you, with your cats, with your prairie, where she lived and loved. It was the perfect place for her to be, when she made her transition to Bliss.

Ann was a very strong, courageous, intelligent, and gifted lady. Her cat community of houses, and her story are incredible.

You have a deep and abiding love, which is everlasting. What a blessing to share 51 years together. You have lost the love of your life, your soul mate. I have no doubt that Ann is watching over you and beaming with pride at how well you have managed without her physically present. May you feel her spiritual presence near you, and may God grant you peace and comfort.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This came along from Tom Cat on Friday:
    Don't envy you with all the smoke you're getting. I have a fraternal twin brother north of San Francisco, in the wine country. I need to mail him a letter. He's only on snail mail, and write about once a year. I think he's alone now because the companion fellows he had in the past are dead now. He doesn't say much. He was drafted during the Vietnam war, when it just started. He was in Hanoi for about 2 years. Never left the base. He speaks French, and found out things not always said. He came back home for a few months and went back to California, where he found lifestyles more to his liking. I'm not sure how close he is to the fires.

Hopefully everyone will enjoy the animal stories from our prairies. And did I tell you about the bear a few weeks back--that was eating up several rows of corn each day?

Take care.
    Last edited by agate; 09-15-2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Tom Cat sends this picture of the garden since today is the anniversary of Cat's passing:

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast