Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Messages from Tom Cat

Hybrid View

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Messages from Tom Cat

Instead of continuing to post Tom Cat's messages in the RIP Cat Dancer thread, I'm starting a thread just for Tom Cat's messages if/when more come along.

He has said that there will be more messages, but he is also working on learning more about how to use a message board.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Tom Cat hopes to get his computer issues straightened out eventually but in the meantime he'd like to say Hi to people here. I'll post more in a day or two when I'm less occupied but here are a couple of photos of the cats that he sent:

Last edited by agate; 01-24-2020 at 05:07 PM.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 9 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Sent by Tom Cat on Monday (sorry I'm late with this!):
    A nice day here with the high 50's this morning, going to high 80's by the afternoon. The living room window bird feeder has a few gold finch on it now. They are our most common bird throughout the year. We did have a tom turkey in the back yard yesterday morning. We haven't seen many lately. Joe and his wife Joanne were up here for the weekend. He has a few trail cams out. He is getting pictures each day of our pair of foxes and their 2 kits. They normally won't attack adult turkeys but will get some of the young turkeys. What he has gotten on the cameras lately is a coyote. They can take out grown turkeys, young deer, and deer in poor health. For our 24 years up here, I've heard but never have seen a coyote.

I've been taking walks through our 15 acres or golf cart rides each day. It clears my head some and reminds me why we retired here. For 10 of those years Ann would drive the golf cart on her own through the property. She loved doing that. After that I had to drive her with the cart. She really got out quite often on the land, until the last few years, when she couldn't transfer from the wheelchair to the golf cart on her own. I imagine she may have told you about that.

I'm so glad to know that you knew her for around 18 years or so. More later. ...Take care.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

From August 28 (about the fallen tree shown in the previous post):

The tree was quite alive and going well. It was on the edge of a pond on the lower end of the property. The soil on the roots got saturated enough that the roots let go and it fell over. I spent time on and off yesterday cutting up the crown. Being 79, and tiring easy, it was an hour on and half hour off for much of the day. I cleared enough of the crown so I can drive around it with the golf cart to our small front on the lake. I'm clearing it up slowly, cutting up the heavier branches for firewood, and will be running the smaller branches through our chipper/shredder. The main trunk is off the path, so I'll be cutting it up later for firewood for my outer garage and workshop. The tree was not in an area where I have to get in and out each day. Five years ago this cut-up job would have been a walk in the park. But not now.

Also having a tree fall like that is not uncommon here. I have an 18-inch good chainsaw and loopers that will cut 1 1/2 inch green wood branches. The chain saw weights about 16 to 18 lbs., so is heavy when cutting much above your waist.

This morning the joints are letting me know I had more than enough exercise yesterday.

Stay safe and take care.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Sweet photo :)

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Another message from Tom Cat:

This is why they call it butterfly weed. It's one of the milkweeds that butterflies eat on and lay their eggs on. As it matures it will become a bright orange color.

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Weeds are usually lovely...wish people had not been trained to poison weeds to eradicate them from dull lawns.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, I'll relay your question to Tom Cat but in the meantime there was also this message on Tuesday, which I hadn't yet got around to posting. (I've been busy dealing with my TV set that wasn't working. Odd how something like that can be very time and energy intensive.)

Spent much of the weekend [that would be the weekend before this one] with my friend Joe and some of his family. They had me down to their camp for several meals. We discussed expanding the prairie on his side this fall. I've been collecting seed for it on the dry days. I need to find time between things, cleaning the seed from the flower heads.

He also had a friend who picked up an 18-year-old pull-behind lawn mower, which he was going to fix for his own use. Even paid me for it. It was headed for the dump otherwise.

Also we took some 30-year-old corrugated sheet metal off old buildings. His friend wanted it for the ceiling in a rec room. A lot of it was rusty. It's an in thing right now. It's hard to believe some of the old scrap around here people want to buy. It's a weird feeling that WW2 stuff is now antiques. Almost makes you feel old, aye?

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Just touching bases with you. The snowfalls in winter take up much of my time. There is the shoveling around the fronts of the house, and the garage/work she where the ATV with plow and blower are kept. I clear a 1200 ft. driveway and an equal amount of turn-around space in front of the house and work shed. I need to chop wood for the workshop, so the ATV and snow blower dry off after use. ...After 45 min. of writing and reading my eyes get blurry. If I do other things, like working outside, the eyes seem to be okay. It's cold today, with 4 degrees to start the day, and around 10 degrees high. Take care and say hello to all the folks on BrainTalk from me.
    Hopefully in spring I may get some help getting into the computer. For now the best I do is get into the bank to check my finances. That is a big help. Ann was a genius at doing the book work compared to me.

This is from today:

The plow guy came by last evening to bank up the snow around the house, garage, and work shed. I also had him push back snow on the drive so there is room for whatever we have to come. These last 3 snow falls have been wet and sloppy, making it difficult to move the snow with the snow blowers. Ill be out shortly pushing last night's white mess back. We're crossing our fingers that we'll have a break in the snow after today. The cats are sitting in the windows, waiting for the birds and squirrels to show up. Nothing is moving outside right now. Take care.

18. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

And this one is from over a week ago.

Just has a little excitement out of the living room window. Two hummingbirds were divebombing an oriole that was sucking up their sugar water. The oriole left. There are the things that make living in the country surrounded by woods and prairie wonderful. I should be more thankful that this is what Ann made possible when we retired here in '97.

I masked up and got a few groceries about 7 AM yesterday morning. That's senior hours. Still mind-boggling to see less than half the senior shoppers with no face masks. As Dr. Fauci commented, people just don't want to understand science....

I'm adding a picture of our little red squirrel. Take care.
    [I'll try to get the squirrel photo to show up in a new message window.]

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast