Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Messages from Tom Cat

Distinguished Community Member

He really knows the names of all those flowers. Amazing! I wonder if he has any honeysuckle that makes things smell really good. I use to love to get near honeysuckle just to get a whiff of it.
    Virginia

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Thank you for posting all of these photos of such gorgeous flowers! And thank you TC for sharing your abundant flora with us!

I have always been fond of Queen Anne's lace, and I even grew it in the backyard for awhile. It is so graceful and delicate and looks lovely in flower arrangements. It does shed a lot, however.

How beautiful your home and land are, TC.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From TomCat on Tuesday:
    If we can keep this masking and distancing up, we should get COVID-19 under control. The testing needs to be more widespread, but if it takes over 3 days for results, the tracing is lost. Our friends in Canada think we've lost it. In the meantime I'm sending you a picture of 2 hen turkeys, with 14 plus young. The young are about the size of large chickens. ...Turkeys are good at eating ticks too.

(I finally found the young turkeys in the photo but am not sure I'm looking at 14 of them....)

Last edited by agate; 07-26-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I found the two grownups, but only two of the little ones.
    Virginia

8. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

I think I'm seeing two little ones alongside the grownup on the left and maybe a couple of little ones in front of the grownup on the right?

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

I think you may be right Agate!
    Virginia

12. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

From Tom Cat (Wednesday):

Plugging along here. Getting a few things done outside. The temperature has varied at night from upward of 75 down to 58, and most days hitting 85 to 90 or more by late afternoon. Got a couple of days hitting 100 on the sunny side of the house in the afternoon.

I've been starting to collect seed from some of the prairie flowers. ...Latest [project?] is clipping off all the dead limbs on a juniper bush below the kitchen window and crawling under and cleaning years of debris out. Got really scratched up, but it looks nice now. I want to put in some low, under 6-inch ground cover under it that's shade tolerant. There's a really fine sedge, Pennsylvania sedge, that grows under the oaks in the woods here. I'm going to transplant some of it for the ground cover. The plant nurseries want $10 for a 2-inch pot, so I figure it's worth me digging some up and transplanting it. In the meantime I'm trying to get stuff out up in the house.

Spending more time reading and still working on finances. ... I have had some exciting wildlife around. There is a bear in the area that takes out around 6 stalks of corn at our neighbor with a small produce garden. He may have been over here, taking down one bird feeder at night. Then there are the raccoons, 2 or 3 of them.They've been into a couple of bird feeders here several nights. Usually when I run out and make noise they take off. Most of the time I pull the feeders in at night. The one big one I throw small rocks at. I always miss, so they don't pay much attention to me. I did that one night, and as I turned around, there was this young one within 4 feet, looking down at me from a feeder. I threw a rock at it, and it just stared at me. It wouldn't move. It looked like he/she was puzzled that I would interrupt it having a meal. I picked up a 4-foot light metal rod and poked at it. It didn't move. I hit it lightly in the butt and it just wiggled a little. I finally hit it a little harder in the shoulder, and it dropped to the ground and ran off. I didn't want to hurt it but sure didn't want it close to the door.

A day or two later the raccoons were back, but when I opened the door they ran off. They are quiet but they can be mean. Funny the young one I hit with the rod never hissed at me or made any aggressive moves. Just looked bewildered.

Then a night ago in the bedroom, around 11 PM, Maggie is looking intently out the window. The window is 10 feet or so above the ground. So I take the flashlight out and look outside the window. A foot or so away in a couch type feeder is a flying squirrel, [settling] down and having her fill of sunflower seeds. That was neat. First time I've seen one on the property.

I'm glad to know folks on BrainTalk still think I have something to contribute. I see MS has made it into the network medical [ads?] these days. I see there are new drugs out that may help advanced MS problems. Let me know how these drugs may help. Meanwhile it would be nice if the powers that be would come up [with] enforcement of preventive measures for COVID-19 that are uniform across the country. Stay safe and take care.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Another from Tom Cat (Thursday). I had to do a double take before realizing that the squirrel is hanging upside down, in the way squirrels do:

Here is our black squirrel this morning. It's a nice cool and breezy 65-degree morning right now.

Finally getting back to eating better. Eating alone is very hard for me, and my appetite comes and goes.

I get a call from our friends next door whom we have known for over 52 years. We were students with them at college in the late 60s. Until a month or so ago, I was having tea with them twice a day. Because of COVID-19, and one of them having kidney failure after a transplant about 6 years back, I was asked not to come in the house for tea or meals. So that has led to more isolation for me. He calls me every morning around 9 AM. So I'm on my own most of the time.

Hard to believe a year ago Ann was cooking up a storm and doing all the book work still. Her niece from Florida was here, and I was at my fur trade rendezvous.... Time does move on, doesn't it?

I'm wishing you all the best. Take care.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I think we are all proud of Ralph. He is managing as best he can in Ann's absence. For someone who didn't know about their finances or how to cook, I think he is doing well. I am sorry he has lost the companionship of his neighbors and I hope it will be restored some day. However, I am glad the neighbor is calling and checking on him every morning. I hope he tries to continue to eat well.

Thank you Agate, for once again getting his messages to us. You can tell him sometime that we don't know of anyone on this forum who is going on any of the new MS drugs. Tell him they are a little hyped up on TV.
    Virginia

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567