Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Messages from Tom Cat

Distinguished Community Member

They are beautiful gladioli. I hope they brightened Ralph's day as much as they did mine.
    Virginia

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A reply from Tom Cat:

Thanks for the reply, Virginia. Yes, the gladioli make the house a little brighter. I may just gather up a few New England asters in the prairie while they're still blooming fine. They normally last into November, but the weather now looks like nights in the high 20's this week. And a virtual hug to you, & those with you. We really need them now. Take care.

Last edited by agate; 10-23-2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: removing pieces of code because they don't belong here
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I hope Ralph remembers to vote. I expect Ann always lined all that up for them. I don't want it to slip his mind.
    Virginia

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I will pass your reminder along to him, Virginia. I'm pretty sure he won't forget to vote though. I edit out the political parts of his messages since they wouldn't be welcome here but my impression is that he's very tuned in to the need to vote.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I kind of thought he would be, having been with Cat Dancer all those years. So, if you are pretty sure he is going to you don't have to pass it along.
    Virginia

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Too late--I had already mentioned it. I said:

There's a message from Virginia, who would like to remind you to vote.
    Here is his reply:
    Virginia, I voted absentee at the end of September. After my neighbor witnessed it I took it over directly to my town clerk. In this area of Wisconsin, we have a town clerk for every other village, or about every one to two thousand voters. You can mail it to them or carry it over. My clerk was 5 miles away, & came out to the car to get my ballot. He's been doing this township for over 20 yrs. We've got more town clerks than cities with 10,000's of people.

Last edited by agate; 10-25-2020 at 07:41 AM.

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This message is from a couple of days ago:

Trying to pick up rocks & brush along the 1200-foot drive, for I don't tangle with them when the snow comes. Cutting paths through my prairies & Joe's pasture for some late CONTROL burns, if we have a dry up before snow fall. Got my hands full, getting stuff put up for early winter. But to lighten things I have a little story to tell. I call it the saga of Chittamoo or the chipmunk.

It's about a week back. I came home with the groceries through the garage door into the kitchen. Inadvertently a chipmunk snuck in around me. All of a sudden the two cats go wild. I follow them into a corner full of stuff in the living room. There they are pawing at this chipmunk. He's looking out cute with his beady eyes. I grab gloves to catch him. Bang! Out he runs into another corner, then settles down to calculate the situation. Another grab & out he goes down the hall & into the study. From there into the bedroom. I close the door, but don't see him.

I lie in bed for a bit. Everything is quiet, & then the cats are in front of a curio cabinet in a corner. Again he pokes out his head with beady eyes. I get a small canvas bag & put my glove inside to bag him. Out he runs, & I think he went in the closet. I put the cats out of the bedroom. I don't want them to get bit, though he never tries to bite them.

I tear the closet apart but couldn't find him. It's getting late. I close the door, & spend the night on the couch. In the morning I go back in the bedroom. I see him across from me by the curio cabinet. I close the closet door. Anyway I go to get him & he runs into the bathroom. Good.

I get a mesh basket and a thin cookie sheet. A few chases in the bathroom around the hollow column holding the sink, & I get him in the open. Drop the metal mesh basket over him, slide the cookie sheet under, flip it up & I have him. Well, almost.

While I'm getting him into the bag, he jumps out. The race is back on. I put my gloved hand in the bag, get him in a corner, & catch him inside. I close the bag, take him outside,put him on the handicap ramp, & he runs down it and into the garage.

I probably should have killed the rascal, but all I could see is that cute face & the beady eyes. He never once tried to bite me or the cats. I guess I'm just a crazy old man in the woods enjoying the wildlife, aye?

By the way chittamoo is one of the Ojibwa words for chipmunk; my reenactment camp name.

Last edited by agate; 10-25-2020 at 10:53 PM.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Ralph's life got pretty exciting with all that going on. It wouldn't work for most of us who have MS to try to catch a chipmunk. Glad he didn't kill it.
    Virginia

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'm glad he let it go too but he had quite a workout. Chipmunks are just too cute. Squirrels can be cute too unless you have too many of them and they're doing too much damage. Still, killing one wouldn't be easy.

Clever trick with the mesh basket and the cookie sheet!

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Sorry to be so slow about this! From Tom Cat, including a message to Rose (sent Tuesday):
    I've been taking my time to reply to Rose. Unlike Ann I have difficulty in sending my sympathy & my deepest thoughts to folks like you, Rose. I can only imagine the sorrows you have gone through in this decade, losing your closest loved ones. My deepest thoughts go with you.

I will be switching most of my messages over to Ann's Kindle, since I can send pictures & take pictures on it. Also I can now shop Amazon on it. This Kindle only allows messaging & reading books. ...
    My other Kindle is totally dead. The charging port could not be restored, & the mother board may be damaged too. Much may have been lost with it.

I can only hope to find help to get onto Ann's computer when this pandemic is under control.

I see today that only Maine, with a 1.2 % infection rate, & a greater older population, has got control over COVID19. They have been masking & distancing since last December, when WHO first announced this pandemic. Their virologist, Dr. Shah, says they believe in science up there. Take car
    e

Last edited by agate; 10-30-2020 at 11:35 AM.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast