Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: January Chitchat (oh, and it's 2020 now)

Distinguished Community Member

Well, my brother had heard on the news that our county had made a mistake on some of the appraisals, so I looked it up. There was no mistake on mine. They even have it set up on the Counties website so that you can look it up. However, it explained that some homes were undervalued during the last reevaluation 4 years ago and are being brought up to where they should be. Though the $54,000 stands it will only cost me two to three hundred more dollars. I was able to pull up all information on my house and could see what they mean. I went into something called reappraisal tax portal that gave me that 2 to 3 hundred dollar figure. They will not know until they know what the tax rates are for this year. We knew that our houses were undervalued for property taxes because of what they were selling for in this neighborhood and there are other neighborhoods like ours. Because of the homes and what they sell for they usually sell within at least 1 to 2 days at most of going on the market. The county website says it is a case of supply and demand. We are not real expenses homes, neither are we cheap homes. We are in that range where a lot of people can afford to qualify for our homes, which makes them desirable.

So all is good unless I find out otherwise. Maybe none of you will have to take me in after all.

I have been reading all day. I get so hung up on a book and I just don't want to put it down. I got this one off Linda's list from her book club. I guess I should put my list on here, but it gives names of presenters and the addresses where the club is meeting that month, so I didn't think that would be a good idea.

Nuthatch, good to see you posting. I think you have a Nephew that lives somewhere around where this happened to some of the homes in the last evaluation they did in 2016. Not all the subdivisions are affected so he might not have been. I hope you are feeling a lot better now. Is DH feeding you good?
    Virginia

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Besides the gentrification issue, many companies are locating in areas of the country where the cost of living is cheaper. These locations can offer lower home prices, taxes ect. . . . at least at first!
    Real estate prices are driving Californians away to other states by the thousands, especially young couples who can't afford to buy their first home, even with two full time incomes. I'm sure the masses of people fleeing to other states is driving up real estate prices there. Supply and demand. It's happening across the country. A redistribution of the population? Everyone wants a piece of the pie and go where they can afford it.

Seems like no one is from California either! It's a mobile society these days.
    Thanks...that is why my niece is in San Francisco and why her daughter is in Brooklyn
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

FYI - Is property tax in California based on purchase price?Although there are some exceptions, a property's assessed value typically is equal to its purchase price adjusted upward each year by 2 percent. Under the Constitution, other taxes and charges may not be based on the property's value. The Property Tax Is One of the Largest Taxes Californians Pay.

Under Proposition 13, the annual real estate tax on a parcel of property is limited to 1 percent of its assessed value. This "assessed value," may be increased only by a maximum of 2 percent per year, until and unless the property has a change of ownership.
    You are recessed if you do improvements to your home, like an addition or a remodel. Getting a permit to have work done also gets you recessed, which is why people often try to get away without getting a permit (aside from the cost and hassle of getting the permit itself). Neighbor of mine had a builder friend build a large garage for his RV and boat on his property, but did not get a permit. The county eventually noticed and he was fined, had to pay permit fees and was reacessed at the current market value for his entire property!
    Since assessments determine the value of the home, and property taxes are based on this value, a higher assessment means a higher tax bill. Other improvements, including adding a garage or shed or improving fencing may also result in a higher assessed value.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thanks...that is why my niece is in San Francisco and why her daughter is in Brooklyn
    And that's why my daughter lives far from here. She couldn't afford to buy home here but wanted to buy a home rather than be a renter all her life. Unfortunately home values have not gone up in the remote area she is in like they continue to do here. Again supply and demand. Jobs and weather are issues affecting property values too.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) My house is old but paid for. My son Jim's home has increased in value 4 times what they paid for it. The taxes go up accordingly. My house is only appraised at just under $100,000.00 and my taxes are $800 a year.

My house scooter batteries went. Jim came and took the batteries out and got me new ones and installed them. He also re installed the doggie door. Kim is enjoying sunbathing in the back yard.

Take care everyone. Jeanie :)

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) Jim called me tonight that he heard from my friend's daughter that her Father died today. The Mother was in the rehab at the same time I was and is still recovering. Her husband has been in and out of the hospital and at the end Hospice.

They lived next door to me for about 20 years. We were very close. They have been married over 60 years. The daughter was the only child that lived past birth.

I have lost quite a few friends this past year and most were long time friends.

Kim is warm here and I am always cold. It is going to 53 here tonight and I hope I will be comfortable without the heat. Tomorrow night it is going to 42 so I will definitely put the heat on. Jeanie :)

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Jeanie, I am so sorry you have lost another friend, and yes you have had a lot of losses.

I guess your friend from out of town is there. That must be the Kim you are talking about. I hope you have a really nice visit with her. It is very cold here. It is already 25 degrees, so it will be extremely cold in the early morning hours.
    Virginia

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry you've lost a friend, Jeanie. It's hard to lose a good friend and neighbor of 20 years.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I am sad to hear of your loss.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Sorry for your loss, Jeanie. Hugs.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast