Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: January Chitchat (oh, and it's 2020 now)

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agate, I went to the store today, and got in it, and it started right up. I took both sets of keys so I could just leave it running while I went in the store, but still lock the doors. I did buy what's called a jumper box, so I can jump it even if there's no other car to jump it from.

So with it starting on it's own this morning, I really don't know what's wrong. But I can now start it if it won't start on it's own. Cars are like cats, you never know what they will do next.

Howie, I have a 2014 Subaru and the annoying thing is that it is impossible to keep the car running and lock it.....like you did. Sometimes my wagon is loaded with plants overnight and that is when I want to lock it while it runs. My older Subaru works differently and I can lock it while it is running.

I have that jumpstart device. It will work many times before I ever have to recharge it. Great for tractors that are stuck in the field. Or cars stuck in the parking lot. It really is the best thing since....peanut butter!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) Nuthatch and Sunshine I hope you both feel better soon. Jendie welcome back. Be extra careful as falling has often caused more problems. I am being super careful now. Jeanie :)

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

How are you feeling this morning Virginia?

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Had a little bit of a busy day. I did get one important thing taken care of this morning. I was in Whole Foods late today to get myself a salad and just decided that I would have a glass of wine tonight. First time in about two years. They have some real good wine for $2.99 a bottle, so I got a bottle of pinot grigio. I kind of enjoyed being relaxed with a glass of it tonight.
    Virginia

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Nice that you treated yourself, Virginia.

I did grocery shopping w Peter and MIL today and lunch at a small Thai restaurant that used to be a gas station. I had Ginger Chicken, of course, a really good version.

At TraderJoe’s I bought a pot of hyacinths because they will feed my soul:

“If I had but two loaves of bread, I would sell one and buy hyacinths, for they would feed my soul.”
    — Mohammed

It was 70 in Boston today, January 11th. Something is terribly wrong with that. I need to open my low tunnel tomorrow to let out heat.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Yes, I agree Ann there is something wrong with this weather. It was in the low 70s here. Just not natural. I hear wind and rain moving in. Supposed to be real heavy from about 2AM until sunrise, but sounds very heavy already. Then tomorrow it is to be as warm or warmer than today. I donít like it.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) I don't like it either. We tied the record for this date at 84. Having to use AC. It is going to stay in the 80's all week.

I went to hear Andy's band and they were really playing well tonight. I think having an audience helps. Another friend of theirs from school came with his girlfriend and played bongos and then played the drums for the last set. Andy has written several songs and I really like one called Evermore.

My dash brake warning light came on on the way there and on the way home. I put it in neutral at stop lights so the brakes could cool. I will go to the mechanic on Monday. I hope it just needs brake fluid.

My Canadian friend comes Wednesday night at 8 PM. I am anxious to see her. She will be here 13 days. The county fair is here and the Norton museum has a huge Georgia Okeefe show on. I am up at 3 AM because I cannot sleep. Climate change weird weather seems to be everywhere. My friend in Tulsa has tornado warnings and she has all her supplies in the middle bathroom and gets in the tub. I hope they miss her. She is Andy's wife's mother. Jeanie :)

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice that you treated yourself, Virginia.

I did grocery shopping w Peter and MIL today and lunch at a small Thai restaurant that used to be a gas station. I had Ginger Chicken, of course, a really good version.

At TraderJoe’s I bought a pot of hyacinths because they will feed my soul:

“If I had but two loaves of bread, I would sell one and buy hyacinths, for they would feed my soul.”
    — Mohammed

It was 70 in Boston today, January 11th. Something is terribly wrong with that. I need to open my low tunnel tomorrow to let out heat.

ANN
    I understand about your low tunnel and needing to release the heat. I had to spray water on some plants even though the soil in the pots was wet but some plants need the humidity I provide with spraying lightly. So cloudy days are welcome once in a while to give me a break!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Low tunnel? I have no idea what you speak of! I assume heating systems are different across the country and I'm on the other side of the continent with quite different weather, humidity, etc., but I agree that the weather is out of whack these days. It scares me!
    My husband reported to me that a potted miniature rose we have had for many years, appears to have died. Daughter's boyfriend at the time, gave her that rose way back in '95, when she was a junior in high school. That poor rose has struggled back through heat, frost and plain neglect but a recent heavy frost was just too much. Or maybe it was just it's time? What is the lifespan of a miniature rose?

Speaking of frost, we have some ornamental plants in the front yard called Society Garlic https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...ety-garlic.htm It's called that because when you break a leaf, it smells like garlic.
    The Saturday after Christmas we got up to heavy frost. The kids all departed between 8 and 10 and we went out in the icy cold to see them off. When we went out the door we were hit in the face with a very, very strong garlic smell! I guess the heavy frost really set those plants off! I've never smelled it so strong, you'd think we were in a field of garlic during harvest time.
    Funny, that makes me think of Gary . . . wonder how he's doing. Cherie too.

Jeanie, I'm so glad you're able to resume many of your activities now. You're one resilient lady.
    I can't imagine living where there is so many tornadoes, like your friend. I count my blessings every single day.

Last night I listened to a podcast about the homeless problem. It's worse than ever, or maybe it's just more visible. I was not surprised to learn that CA has 1/3 of the nation's homeless population. The cost of living here is a big problem but the weather is better if you have to live without a roof over your head. Having worked in schools for years, I know that there are whole families living out of cars. Most people don't recognize that. It's very sad.
    They talked about the problem in Paso Robles, just a couple of miles from my home. Here is a link to the podcast if anyone wants to listen. You don't need to register or anything to listen.
    https://www.insearchofsanity.org/podcast-episodes.html

I'll quit rambling for now. Feeling stronger each day but I start coughing if I talk much. Off oxygen all day! See the doc's NP tomorrow morning, them home health comes in the afternoon.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Congratulations, Nuthatch, on being off O2 fora whole day. Progress.

A low tunnel is usually a poly sheet over hoops to keep frost off a garden bed and to warm up the soil. It extends the growing season at both ends. It. Might have been a preventive for the miniature rose. Here’s an internet picture:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....6pid%3DApi&f=1

Well, a link to a picture then.

Hope your day is good.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

20. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast