Keep on Moving: January 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep on Moving: January 2020

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

REMEMBER: this is a keep on moving thread, not keep on exercising! Any moving is important— it doesnt have to be “exercise”! Even Science proves that...

I plan to surf today. We shall see....

A question for Sunshine. I was watching this video about someone beginning at surfing on an Oregon beach, and he speaks of it as cold-water surfing. Is there warm-water surfing? Being where you are, Sunshine, are you a warm-water surfer?

Here's the video but it might be boring for you because it's about a beginner:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I keep on checking in thinking we might hear from Sunshine.

Some of our other people might be resting up from a late night.

I actually did 30 minutes of exercise this afternoon. First I have done since I got sick. It was forced but a lot of what many of us do is. Still on antibiotics.
      Virginia

Comment

I did grocery store walking! Surprise!

ANN
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Yes,I did go surfing yesterday with 8 friends and DH who took me and was my emergency manager :)
          It was cold outside for FL, 56F, but sunny and the water was 76 which felt warm in comparison. Of course I had on my 3/2mm wetsuit,.
          The beach was empty as the water was choppy and said to be “Flat” online. But the buoy showed choppy 2.6’ so we knew we had a chance.
          Right away, we saw our buddy was missing as he died surfing a few weeks ago. He was always there way before sunrise.

I was “late “ for me , a former sunrise, as the BM problem needs to be dealt with before the 50 min car ride to the ocean spot. So, Igot there by 8:30 and my friends were all there waiting and holding onto the reserved wheelchair.

I was first one in as the others were wussing out with the cold when we got to the beach. It was a little windy, about 10mph from the north east, so it was understandable. This had always beeen the habit in bad conditions, I would go in and they others then followed reluctantly only to have a fun fun time.

I caught several rides, white water and reformed. The lineup was so chopped up and the water was so Sharkey I didn’t have the nerve to go way out and then get in trouble, compromising my friends too.

Before we got wet, We had a nice New Years party with Duncan donut coffee and donuts, homemade sea muffins. Our artist friend gave us each a packet of note card with her stunning water painting on them...

The best part was seeing everyone as a group... I so missed this, it has been the hardest thing to give up. ...we are all over 50, half are over 60. While the others are physically healthy, we have all had some true suffering in our lives this past year, and we all seem to be able to shove it aside when together in the water.

I didn’t stand up, nor did I try. I like to stand on a real wave ona whitewater wave. On a real wave, you have speed and an incline to help push you to your feet. I stayed lying down, no feat in and of itself...

Getting ready to go surfing was an overwhelming endeavor with getting all the gear ready, car packed, seats reconfigured. Coolers packed for the beach and for inside the car with my emergency meds. Emergency bathroom gear just in case. Two wetsuits in case it was warmer than anticipated, dry clothes, and so n...... it is with the all of the getting ready and worrying about BM, that I begin to break down and dread going.

But, I had a wonderful time. I cannot say whether it was or wasn’t worth it, but the surfing and the friends were terrific.

Agate Cold water surfing means teh water is frigid. So you wear extra thick wetsuits, hoods, gloves and neoprene feet. It couldnt been too cold judging from his gear, but colder than perhaps I like.

He was surfing , paddleboarding actually, on whitewater, which is the way most of us start.

Comment

Sunshine, wonderful outing. Glad you went and had a good time with friends. Even gladder that you are safe.
            Virginia

Comment

Sunshine, you're so intrepid that I'm guessing you're a very experienced surfer? At what age can a person start surfing?
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Vacuumed downstairs
                Exercised legs for 36 minutes
                Virginia

Comment

Good job Virginia!!!

I started at age 60. But I was swimming a mile daily at that point and thus in good shape...

Comment

Resting after the 1/2 mile plus swim....

Comment

:) Compared to me y'all are like Olympic athletes. Standing any is very difficult and I surely can't take steps. I was a lousy swimmer when I was healthy and I'm sure I would sink now.

I think it is amazing how much physical activity you all do. Use it or lose it. I lost so much in rehab. I am hoping my new insurance will cover more PT.

So far I do not like the new year any better than the old one. Keep up the good work. Jeanie :)

Comment

Jeanie, we’re only 4 days into the New Year, who knows if you are able to get PT you might show some improvement. Don’t get discouraged yet.
                        Virginia

Comment

Jeanie, I don't think you'd sink if you tried to swim. Swimming is a skill we don't seem to forget.

Comment

Jeanie,
                            We cannot compare ourselves to each other. Our disease(s) impact each of us differently. Example, if I compared myself to ANN’s or Laz’s activity, I would feel like a failure!

I def echo the idea of trying again to see if you qualify for PT.

In the meantime, do whatever motion your body can safely handle. For example, if you can stand for 5 seconds, do it. And do it as often during the day as you can safely handle. Don’t throw in the towel :)

They have these belts that keep you upright in the pool. Your public pool might know something about it. They often have “aquacise” classes. You might need help getting there, however....

Comment

Average step counts for December (figured for 30 days): 1493 steps/day

Comment

Working...
                              X