Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody taking Fosamax?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Anybody taking Fosamax?

I believe we've discussed this before, and I'll go looking for older posts about it. I'd like to know if anyone has taken or is taking Fosamax (or a similar osteoporosis drug) and what your experience has been.

I was at the doctor's today to go over the recent lab work with a view toward getting the potassium level back where it should be. While I was there I asked to see the results of a bone density test I had in 2016. It turns out I need a new bone density test, and the doctor is pretty keen on Fosamax for me now that the bone density is worsening. It was worsening in 2016, compared to 2010, and she's pretty sure that the upcoming test won't show any improvement.

For many years now I've been saying No to Fosamax but now I'm definitely rethinking it.

Fractures can be pretty hard to get over, and the older you get, the tougher the whole ordeal is.

I'd welcome any input.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

Distinguished Community Member

Cheri was on one of the drugs for osteoporosis. Look for her posts. I’m not sure which of the drugs she was on.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

3. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Many years ago a Doctor put me on Fosamax. I took it just as prescribed, with water and stayed up (did not lay down) after taking it, for a lengthy period of time. I was unable to stay on it very long because it gave me gastric problems. I can't remember exactly what it did, but I think it was something like indigestion every morning. I will try to look it up tomorrow in my medical records if I can find it.
    Virginia

5. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This might refresh your memory, Virginia. Catdancer was thinking about taking it, decided against it:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...amax#post64896

7. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((agate)))))) ~

I recall responding to the thread about Fosamax, because I researched it extensively for Jonathan. There were so many reasons why we couldn't give it to him, and our ICU intensivist completely agreed with us.

Here arer the experiences of 3 of my close friends on Fosamax:

1. My friend, whose disabled son was Michael's best buddy in school, called me from the ER telling me that she was having a heart attack. She wanted me to locate her other son to stay with her disabled son and relieve her other relative. We were on the phone quite a bit that day. Finally, she called me and told me that her heart was fine. They asked her what drugs she was taking. Fosamax.

This may be the indigestion you felt, Virginia. But it is a common side effect.

2. My friend, who is now 96, took Fosamax and the shot they give now, which starts with a P ... Prolia? Jaw pain and necrosis. Tooth loss. Common side effects.

3. My 96 year old friend's daugher took Fosamax. She was walking her dog at the park. Her dog pulled on the leash. She broke her wrist in several places.

Fosamax is caustic, and it doesn't heal or grow bones. It covers the bones with some kind of shield, while the bones deteriorate.

My friends stopped taking it, thankfully. Even though I have osteoporosis and RA, I wouldn't touch Fosamax, Boniva, or Prolia with a thousand foot pole. The older we get, the older our bones get. It's natural. We can't turn back the hands of time, even with some noxious chemical concoction that Big Pharma created Just For Us. You know ... post menopausal women.

When women said "NO!" to HRT, Big Pharma came at us from a different angle: bone density. Some wizard invented this horrible drug, Fosamax, and every version of it thereafter, for $$$$$.

If you dig deep into a Google search about it, you'll find what I found. This is a very bad drug. That's what 3 of my dear friends experienced. That is what millions of women (and men) have experienced. Those side effects my 3 friends had are "common."

It is also wise to research whether Fosamax (or any new drug) may interact with drugs you are currently taking. I always did this for Jonathan and Michael, and now for Jim, because doctors really do not pay attention to side effects and interactions, when they prescribe drugs.

You have a good diet, and you are conscientious about exercise and safety. The best we can do for ourselves is to try to have a healthy lifestyle. And you are doing that.

Research Fosamax and its clones, and then tell you doctor your concerns, and ask your doctor, "What else do you have to offer me, because I'm not taking this?"

When I asked that of Jonathan's endocrinologist, he said, "Let his bones rot." Sadly, his bones did deteriorate, particularly because he lost his ability to bear weight and exercise. And that was because he had a progressive neuromuscular disease. And Jon had been taking Dilantin to control seizures since he was 13 years old. Dilantin destroys bones.

But, Jonathan lived for 15 years after that doctor made that declaration. And I strongly believe that if we had given Jonathan Fosamax, his life span would have been considerably shorter. In fact, I'm certain of that.

So, there are my personal experiences and those of my close friends with Fosamax.

It is a lot to ponder, I know.

You are in my thoughts and prayers as you follow this new path. May you know what is best for you.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

9. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

We had a discussion about side effects today, and the doctor swore up and down that the cases of Fosamax-related jaw necrosis are ridiculously rare. I dunno. It doesn't sound like anyone's idea of fun, that's for sure.

It's been made clear in the past that this is what the doctors have to offer. Or I can go along as I've been doing, supplementing the calcium and the vitamin D, and there's been some evidence that that does help. Much simpler and safer even if the chances of a fracture might be reduced with Fosamax.

I just ran across this, for instance:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...idget_12252019

11. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

There is a newer med which I think is the only one that BUILDS bones, not just stops deterioration. Cannot recall the name of it. Though. Its IV, maybe twice yearly?

13. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Sunshine, years ago my doctor told me that the bisphosphonates in general (Fosamax being the main one) would replace lost bone. I haven't checked this out recently but am working on it.

So far in prowling around the Internet, I found that bisphosphonates sometimes actually cause fractures they're meant to prevent. Since my T score is only at -2.2 and would need to be at -2.5 to be real osteoporosis, and since I already have MS and diabetes and arthritis, I'm still tending toward the idea that when it comes to drugs, "less is more."

15. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

My GYN shows my T scores just tipping into the osteoporosis range. She thought of an IV treatment (Reclast?) but said, was reluctant in that it would be in my body 6 to 12 months, and my disease complexity made her decide to wait and see how things go—she rec waiting 12 months instead of 18 months for next bone density...

Years ago, old GYN tried Fosamax and Boniva on me, don’t recall why they stopped. My bones got slightly better on them. But so did my diet and exercise.

17. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) I do not remember the specifics but my Mother did poorly on Fosamax and had to quit taking it. Jeanie :)

19. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast