Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frail and older (>60 yrs old) people do poorly after surgery

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Death is a strange thing, a real mystery, but has been faced by every human since the dawn of time. That makes it an inescapable but natural part of life.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Death is a strange thing, a real mystery, but has been faced by every human since the dawn of time. That makes it an inescapable but natural part of life.
    Very true.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How true. But I just don't quite see feeling ready for it.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

But ready or not, here it comes eventually.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

My mom just had surgery for adhesions from previous, remote surgery causing a bowel obstruction. She did very well at 94. Unfortunately, the medical care was not excellent and that caused congestive heart failure. Still, itís clear sheís in pretty good shape considering.

Also, question everything!
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

That's encouraging news, ANN. I hope your mother will have an easy recovery. There are times when surgery has to be done.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I am truly considering cataract surgery. Donít want it, but reading is so important to me, and its getting more difficult. I now put myself in the frail category. I would not have said that probably a year ago.

I wish I had had it a couple of years ago when I was a little stronger. Not always best to put things off.

Overall I do agree with the article, but people vary so much in what their bodies are able to go through. One 75 year old might differ greatly from another 75 year old.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I've heard many people say there's nothing to the cataract surgery now. You probably need to make at least 4 trips to the ophthalmologist, maybe more, because they do each eye separately, and you go back for at least one follow-up visit.

I've known of eye doctors who ran a special van for taking their cataract patients back and forth. Maybe it was because they weren't very good at the cataract surgery and were hurting for patients, and so they offered some inducements. I don't know.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Of all of the many types of surgery we may face in our "senior years," I think cataract surgery is probably the safest. There are many appointments associated with the surgery. When Jim had his cataract surgery about 5 years ago, he had to have a physical by our PCP first. He needs his other eye done, but now, he is too frail with cancer to do it.

In 1990, my dad, at the age of 69, had lung cancer surgery to remove, what I believe to have been, a mesothelioma tumor. The surgery was performed in a very small town hospital by a very incompetent surgeon. Nonetheless, he survived. The day after he was released, he died of a heart attack. The day after his death, a study was published that men 69 years and over had a 90% chance of having a heart attack after a non-heart related surgery.

My dad was at risk and wasn't given a proper cardio workup prior to surgery. He also foolishly drove 35 miles to/from a restaurant to have BBQ ribs the night before his heart attack, so he may have contributed to his ultimate outcome.

I wasn't able to read the article, because I am not registered with the NY Times. But I suspect that the mortality rate with elders after surgery could be related to the competency of the surgeon, the anesthesiologist, and the after care provided. Medicare is very quick to release patients from the hospital, sometimes to an acute care facility, which we've found to be severely lacking in appropriate surgery or serious illness recovery care.

I also believe that older patients are prescribed far too many medications and that contributes to frailty and the risk of post-surgical infections and complications.

We have to be on top of everything that is happening to us and being done to us. That can be a daunting task, when we are ill, suffering or unable to process the information, which is why it's important for us to have an advocate (relative or friend) to help us through any kind of surgery or health issue.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 12-17-2019 at 08:01 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having a wife like he does makes a big difference. But I'm alone save for one cat, and have made all the preparations for my death. I've had a good life, and am ready to see what's next.
    That’s the way I think about death also....and I worry that some hospital will supersede my instructions ....my mom had all the forms and papers but was rushed to a hospital that was not where her doctor was and everything went haywire even though she had DNR forms. It was a mess. I might tattoo DNR form on my body someday.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast