Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: December Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Christmas is a time for letting people who've been kind to me know that I appreciate them by giving them a gift, and that includes the mail carrier, the lady who cuts my hair, and the grocery delivery person. Mail carriers can't accept cash and so I've ordered a food item. Our regular mail carrier has just retired, and so there will be a new one, who might not turn out to be regular, but that person will get the gift.

We aren't supposed to give anything to the building managers. Sometimes we've been told that small gifts of food are OK, and one year I tried that but the office manager acted a bit odd about it, as if it made her uncomfortable accepting it. I don't want to put them on the spot, and so I won't be doing that again.

What to do about Instacart? Every Instacart delivery includes a tip, and I've never had the same delivery person. At this time of year there will be at least 3 Instacart deliveries though, maybe more if there's a weather problem. I'm wondering if any Instacart delivery person should get a special holiday tip if the delivery happens around December 25? People work hard at that type of job, and often run into difficult situations with traffic, crowds, unpleasant customers, etc. I'd like to promote goodwill with Instacart people and show them I appreciate them. Probably the thing to do is to give them a larger tip than usual through the process that is built into the system, and wish them a happy holiday. Or would a card with cash enclosed be better?
    Last edited by agate; 12-01-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, I have done both with Instacart, except for the card. I have always given more tip than they add on and one time I gave some in cash. I think these people do appreciate it and I appreciate what they do when it is really cold sometime and really hot.

I can't very well give to my Postman since I have one of the cluster boxes that is too far from my house to put food in and leave it. However, I take the paper daily and he sends me a self addressed envelope at Christmas so I give to him.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Hello my fellow warriors.
    I have not been on line very much the past week.
    The SPS is stable as is the MS.
    But the Side effects to Baclofen (no able to have BM) has created havoc, in that the med Linzess has started to cause explosive diahrrea every day from about 9:30am through about 4 pm and beyond.

Will see Doc Monday, and have had daily calls to the nurse with some suggestions.

Will skip it tomorrow and Wed for IVIG, and Thursday for a visit with friend.

When I skip it i have to take large doses of Lactulose which causes huge belly distension from the gas from fermentation. Nothing controls it but time....

So, there it is...

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

You can't win, Sunshine. What a shame that you find an assist for one thing and it causes a boatload of other problems.

Hope you can enjoy the visit with a friend in spite of all of this.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Andy is off today and he came and put up the outside Christmas lights, put the Christmas tree up and decorated it and is now mowing the yard.

Lacy likes laying under the tree. She thinks she is a gift. It is so nice to have all that done. I wrote about 20 Christmas cards yesterday and that is all I will send this year. Feeling blessed. Jeanie :)

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello my fellow warriors.
    I have not been on line very much the past week.
    The SPS is stable as is the MS.
    But the Side effects to Baclofen (no able to have BM) has created havoc, in that the med Linzess has started to cause explosive diahrrea every day from about 9:30am through about 4 pm and beyond.

Will see Doc Monday, and have had daily calls to the nurse with some suggestions.

Will skip it tomorrow and Wed for IVIG, and Thursday for a visit with friend.

When I skip it i have to take large doses of Lactulose which causes huge belly distension from the gas from fermentation. Nothing controls it but time....

So, there it is...
    Sorry you are having such troubles. Really, wouldn’t it be nice to catch a break?!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Yes, it's definitely time for better luck to come your way, Sunshine! Here's hoping!

Jeanie, you mentioned doing 20 cards. I've done not one. Working on ordering, wrapping, and sending a couple of gifts, and then maybe I'll get on with the cards. I write about 80 of them but many are just in this building and don't need an address or stamp. Many others get brief notes from me because they're people I communicate with once a year, and this is when I let them know I'm still around.

So your dog thinks she's a gift--isn't she right? Pets are gifts. Times when I had a pet were times when I got to know a person. I usually had a cat but there was a dog for a while, and I'm not sure tropical fish count really since their personalities are so--well, fishy.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

We eat fish. Dogs and cats have distinct personalities, like people, so we don't eat them......well in the US.
    Last edited by Howie; 12-02-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Sunshine, had wondered what was going on with you. You kind of get a break with one thing which then causes you to have problems in another area. I hope the Doctor has another bag of tricks up his sleeve. I am hoping IVIG goes well and that you enjoy your visit with your friend.

I use to love sending and receiving Christmas Cards, but now my writing is so poor that I dread it. I will not send very many this year. I bought one box.
    Agate, I don't know eighty people any more.

Jeanie, my dog use to do the same thing. I have pictures of her laying on the skirt under a 6 foot tree. Funny, you mentioned that I have been thinking about it the past couple of days.

One of my SILs sent me a text yesterday of two arrangements she had put at the cemetery, one on my parents grave that is red and white and one on my husband's grave that is solid red. I can't walk to the graves anymore, but this way I get to see the flowers and the markers to see what kind of shape they are in. If I could get to the gravesites I would be unable to get the flowers in the vases that are attached to the markers. So this is something that I really appreciate.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I can't read my own handwriting anymore. I had 26 cards left from last year. I only signed them, no notes.

Last night my house scooter would not take the charge. It was almost dead, so I called my neighbor and he and his friend came over. So much stuff had been put in the spare room that I could not get to my spare scooter.

They managed to get it out of there and bring it in to my bedroom. They put my scooter against the wall and plugged in the charger, but no light came on. After they left I called Jim and told him I needed him to come today and try to find a charger on the internet for my regular house scooter.

Jim came today and managed to find a charger for $39 & ordered two. He also took all the boxes out of that room and put them in recycle. Then he put David's computers, etc. into the cabinets and re arranged it all so I can get to the spare scooter.

When I got up during the night to go to the bathroom, the charging light was on and by morning it had a full charge but it is unreliable. I am glad to be back on it because the spare one is not real comfortable and the seat does not turn, plus it has up edges on either side of the seat you have to get over to get on and off. Also it is hard to get my knee past the tiller to get off.

Andy came this afternoon and put out the trash and recycle. We decided we will have family Christmas dinner here on the Sunday before Christmas. Jim has to be in the church band on Christmas eve. Andy and I may go see it.

I had a call from Andy's wife's mother last night and the airline cancelled her flight. She fell off a ladder and hurt her back so it was okay. She had been coming for 13 days and would spend a few with me, another friend and her son's family. She said she is not okay with Andy dating her niece and so she is not going to stay with her any. Jamie has been dead 5 years. I am not crazy about the idea either but it is his life and he deserves all the good he can find.

I will catch up reading here soon. Everyone stay warm. We went to the low 40's last night and again tonight. I am grateful I have central heat. Jeanie :)
    Last edited by Jeanie Z; 12-03-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typos

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast