Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: December Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grateful to have heat here--and not to have any power failures. Yet.

On Saturday after my son, DIL, and grandson left I noticed the carpet was wet by a wall and realized the bathtub must have had a leak at some point. I hadn't used the bathtub in 19 hours when I noticed it, and that must mean it took me a while to notice it (quite possible) or else water travels slowly. So I've been watching the wet patch and making sure it didn't grow and keeping a fan turned on it to dry out the carpet.

Looks as if they meant it when they told me, 10 years ago when I moved in, not to let the tub water get to the point where the overflow drain gets involved. The reason given for that was to discourage ants but I just found out that another reason for it was to prevent this kind of situation. "It happens," as the manager said yesterday when I told her about the problem. I've always tried to be careful about that overflow drain hole but lately I'd been careless a couple of times, and one of those times was Friday night.

The manager thinks it will be all right (without any major ventures into the pipes or involvement of plumbers) but so far I haven't been brave enough to put any water into the bathtub. I'm telling myself that I'll get up my nerve by tomorrow.

The 12 Days of Christmas aren't going to involve 12 plumbers plumbing if I have anything to say about it.
    Last edited by agate; 12-03-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typos
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Jeanie, you are one brave soul to keep up with all the scooter stuff and your getting on and off of them and the worry of one giving out. Glad your sons got your Christmas lights and tree up. I am not going to put any up this year. I have just kind of had it as far as doing things like that are concerned. My brothers offered to come and do it, but then they would have to come back and undo it and it is just too much.

Agate, I am always looking up to make sure I don't see any wet spots on my ceiling under where my bathroom upstairs is. Even though it is not used I still have a worry that something could happen up there that I am not aware of. When the plumbers come here it is an enormous bill that comes with them usually. I hope you don't have to put up with having them.
    Virginia

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I probably wouldn't have to pay the bill because this is a rental but plumbers aren't any fun. They're so disruptive. I can't imagine how they would get at the bathtub pipes without taking out the whole bathtub and the wall around it, which is part of it. And the bathroom would be unusable for who knows how long.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Agate, that is the reason I worry about my upstairs bathroom. The flooring, not only up there, but the ceiling down here and the walls up there.
    Virginia

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Sunday night the main drain to the house blocked. Probably from tree roots. We couldn’t flush toilets! I got the Drain company we use to come out Monday morning. So glad that is fixed with only one sleepless night.

Jeanie, you raised good sons that seem to love and take care of you and enjoy socializing with you. That’s a job well done.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

In my old multi story house, there was an upstairs water heater, and also an upstairs a/c system.

Both sprang leaks, although at different times.

Both times, they dripped down through the floor into the bedroom level, and in teh garage/storage level below that. Messy, and in Florida in particular, very bad as mold grows so rapidly. Thatís why we got on it immediately....

But the bath tub seems particularly troublesome and I donít env you for that.

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Ohhhh Sunshine!!!! Please tell me you are joking. I will be very worried now. Then, I think about all the people who have two story houses and I haven't heard that much. Some, but not a whole lot. When it gets colder and is freezing I will be sure to go up at night and let the water run a little in sink and tub.

The people who have had problems say it is a mess with clean up and everything. I don't know if my homeowners covers something like that or not.
    Virginia

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I've done that before, run the water at night. I've had trouble with pipes freezing, but only on the coldest nights. So now that I'm wiser.....I let the water trickle. It works.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) I went to the hair salon today, then to Walgreen's. Publix does not have Alpha Lipoic Acid and Garlique, so I got them there and also my Rx's. Next door is Wild West Wings, so while I had the scooter out I went over there and had a hamburger.

I came home and had a hard time getting out of the van and onto my scooter. I am not transferring easily and my legs do not seem any stronger. I am scared I may wind up in a nursing home. Any prayers appreciated.

The heat is on again tonight then it is supposed to warm up. I hope all of you are staying warm and safe. Jeanie :)

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Prayers on the way, Jeanie. I’m glad you were able to get out. It is considerable progress even though you are not as strong as you like.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast