Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (OT) Missing Oregon cat turns up in New Mexico after 5 years

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Who writes these stories? Entertainment writers for Animal Planet? Howie?
    I would guess that Sasha , being the friendly cat she was, adopted or was adopted by another human, who moved from Portland to New Mexico and took the cat with them. The article doesn't state how the shelter in New Mexico got the cat. It says they "found" the cat, who was healthy and well fed. As far as I know, animal shelters do not go out looking for healthy, well fed cats. Someone probably complained about the cat or surrendered the cat. The shelter checked to see if he/she? was chipped and were most likely surprised to find the "previous" owner in Oregon. Happy ending.

I tend to be a realist, and am pretty sure most cats are terrified traveling by train, plane, boat, car or u-haul. I once drove across the U.S. with a cat when we moved back to CA from Wisconsin. Three days of howling, and trying to escape at every opportunity . . . not fun! And I'm positive cats don't care about national monuments or parks.

One other thing . . . acupuncture on a cat . . . a sick cat, at that? I'd like to see how that procedure went!

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Military moves for 24 years --- always with cats, always horrible. Poor cats

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who writes these stories? Entertainment writers for Animal Planet? Howie?
    I would guess that Sasha , being the friendly cat she was, adopted or was adopted by another human, who moved from Portland to New Mexico and took the cat with them. The article doesn't state how the shelter in New Mexico got the cat. It says they "found" the cat, who was healthy and well fed. As far as I know, animal shelters do not go out looking for healthy, well fed cats. Someone probably complained about the cat or surrendered the cat. The shelter checked to see if he/she? was chipped and were most likely surprised to find the "previous" owner in Oregon. Happy ending.

I tend to be a realist, and am pretty sure most cats are terrified traveling by train, plane, boat, car or u-haul. I once drove across the U.S. with a cat when we moved back to CA from Wisconsin. Three days of howling, and trying to escape at every opportunity . . . not fun! And I'm positive cats don't care about national monuments or parks.

One other thing . . . acupuncture on a cat . . . a sick cat, at that? I'd like to see how that procedure went!
    I was wondering about acupuncture too.

I've often heard of cats turning up on trains and planes, and the shelter that had this cat had this to say (in the article):

“Cats are notorious for jumping U-Hauls, trains and cars. Somehow it hitched a ride and ended up here,” Murad Kirdar, a spokesman for the shelter, told the Sante Fe Reporter.
    I don't think it can be assumed that the cat hitched a ride but it does happen. They jump into these U-hauls, trains, cars, etc., and then they're not at all happy once they realize how confined they are.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12