Thread: Gardening Cart ideas?

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Gardening Cart ideas?

I would like to be able to sit and pull weeds around the ornamental plants.
    I envision a cart with big tires that can go on grass if necessary, with no side wall so that I can easily get off the cart . If the cart is high enough, I think I can stand up from a sitting position once or twice per session. So, I envision pulling the cart out to the plants. Sitting on it, and pulling weeds between the ornamentals, slowly wheeling the cart to more plants, and then, at the end of the session, stand up.

Maybe even have something outdoors I can pull self up on, or push self up .

Ideas from gardeners?

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A few of them are shown here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gard...ot5vjrM:&vet=1

I've had a keen interest in this kind of thing but never tried a cart. The kneeling pad was working fairly well back when I still had a garden but the big problem was having to get up and down from the kneeling position so often. A cart would do away with that problem, but on the other hand might not put you at the right angle for pulling weeds. Pulling weeds while seated on one of those carts looks hard on the back but I've never tried it.

Many people decide to use raised beds. They "simply" lift their whole garden up and into raised containers.

EDITED TO ADD: This one is meant for hauling stuff but a person could sit on it, maybe with a cushion or kneeling pad to sit on. It's pricey but at least it would put you closer to the ground and make it easier to reach the weeds, etc. I like the dropdown sides.

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/nurser...q=cart&start=7
    Last edited by agate; 11-10-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Raised beds are a good idea but there is too much construction involved for some.
    How about a red flyer? Those carts that children ride on. We used to buy them for customers to use at the farmers’ market to carry their produce. You could even cut out a section of the side lip so you could sit there.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hello fellow gardeners !

i've been gardening and planting a perennial garden for the last...10+ years. my whole back yard is about 80 ft. long and 36 ft. wide, so long and narrow. my perennial garden is 55 ft. long by 24 ft. wide.

sunshine, i don't know what your situation is, so i'll just give some general thoughts.

how big is your garden and how close together are your plants? a wagon or chair with wheels, even a flat bed platform (i am looking at the google page that agate linked), would be too big to maneuver around my garden. a friend gave me a large wagon with the drop sides and pneumatic tires. even empty, the darn thing was SO hard to pull. filled with stuff (i used to take it to the eastern market here in detroit on flower day), it was difficult to maneuver and pull for me. i eventually gave it to my daughter...lol.

my leg strength is better than my upper body strength. i have no probs getting up from the ground without aid, but it also depends how much i've been doing. if i go zumba and ride my bike and garden, i am pretty sore and my muscles don't want to cooperate as usual.

i cut up an old yoga mat into a smaller and larger piece. if i'm in a tight spot, i use the smaller piece, if i have more room, i use the larger piece so i can switch positions easier and even lay down if i want. close by, i have a sturdy plastic bucket that i keep all my hand tools ready for use. i have put both hands on either side of the bucket and used that for help in getting up if i need to steady myself. i also have a container to put the weeds in as i work.

i have used a kitchen step stool to sit and pull weeds or prune low plants. i have used the stool as a prop to do various things, like plant, etc. i kneel on the mat and put my upper body over the stool. the stool helps me get up and it's easy to move around.

something like this would probably not work in my garden because of the closeness of my plants, but it does look manageable: https://www.gardeners.com/buy/deep-s...submit&start=3

i don't know if you use a walker, or if you can buy one that has a low seat on it. i have seen walkers that have a place to sit, but in my mind, it seems too high to weed from.

some pics: where i started out when my clay sewer line broke and a 60 ft. trench from the back of my house to detroit's main sewer line had to be dug and a new pvc pipe put in. i waited 2 years for the yard to "settle" before i started hauling in dirt to even it out (about 2000):
    garden progress 1.jpg

after i hauled in dirt, i made a rough outline of what to do and put in a few plants i got on sale (about 2005):
    garden progress 2.jpg

current view of garden from back of my house to the back of my yard (2019):
    garden 8272019 3.jpg

current view from the edge of my garden and cement patio to back of house (2019):
    garden 8272019 2.jpg

i have already transplanted the four rose bushes from the middle of my garden to a line starting at the side of my arbor into the back yard. most of the work i do is moving plants from one place to where i want them, dividing perennials (free plants!) and weeding. i'm in the homestretch now. i have started a veggie garden, about 20 ft. by 8 ft. it's behind the big lilac bush on the right side in the pic of the garden from the back of my house to the back yard (the arbor is right over the bush in the pic). i'm also putting in shrubs and low maintenance plants and some clover lawn in the space in front of my house.

i hope i've given you some food for thought

thank you for sharing and reading,
    jeannie (tic chick)
    Last edited by tic chick; 11-12-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

tic chick, your garden is lovely! You must enjoy watching it and just having it there in that space.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Tic Chic, what a great place for you to look out on and maybe take a cup of tea and sit and just enjoy. So peaceful.

Will everything survive winter?

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Great pictures, Jeannie.

Sunshine, glad to know you want to garden again. It was my therapy this past year.

You might try a seat on a 5 gallon bucket, like here, where you can have access to tools:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Buck...for+5+&sr=8-15

Or a better, padded one. Just search “seat for 5 gallon bucket.”

I sit on an overturned milk crate with a patio chair pillow on it. It’s just the right height for a one foot raised bed.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hello !

agate, sometimes i forget what a really nice place it is because i am working in it daily. when i go into my next door neighbor's yard to do some clean-up along our fence line, i look at the whole thing and think, "wow. that looks pretty". sometimes people walking down the street will stop and talk to me when i am working in the front yard. if they express interest in gardening, i will take them into my neighbor's yard and show them my garden.

virginia, yes! everything survives the winter. these are perennials, meaning they come back every year and i only buy plants that will survive the winter here in detroit. each part of the usa has a specifing gardening zone, ranging from 1-11 (a and b). when i did casual planting in the 70's, detroit was in zone 5a. now, we are in zone 6a. i usually stay on the safe side and only buy plants hardy through the winter in the 5a and 5b zones. sometimes, i will buy annuals (plants that won't survive the winter here), to plant in hanging baskets. we sometimes have stretches of temps around -10F in the winter, but not often. cities also tend to absorb and hold heat more than suburbs and areas further out.

i bbq in the summer on sundays and eat outside. at the end of the day or during the heat of the afternoon, i will take out my outdoor chaise lounge, the radio and have iced tea or something stronger at the end of the day. it is relaxing.

thanks for asking,
    jeannie

thank you, ANN...i just saw your post! i'm happy you garden because it is good therapy, physical and mental...that's how i started and it's led me to where i am today!
    Last edited by tic chick; 11-10-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tic chick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hello fellow gardeners !

i've been gardening and plating a perennial garden for the last...10+ years. my whole back yard is about 80 ft. long and 36 ft. wide, so long and narrow. my perennial garden is 55 ft. long by 24 ft. wide.

sunshine, i don't know what your situation is, so i'll just give some general thoughts.

how big is your garden and how close together are your plants? a wagon or chair with wheels, even a flat bed platform (i am looking at the google page that agate linked), would be too big to maneuver around my garden. a friend gave me a large wagon with the drop sides and pneumatic tires. even empty, the darn thing was SO hard to pull. filled with stuff (i used to take it to the eastern market here in detroit on flower day), it was difficult to maneuver and pull for me. i eventually gave it to my daughter...lol.

my leg strength is better than my upper body strength. i have no probs getting up from the ground without aid, but it also depends how much i've been doing. if i go zumba and ride my bike and garden, i am pretty sore and my muscles don't want to cooperate as usual.

i cut up an old yoga mat into a smaller and larger piece. if i'm in a tight spot, i use the smaller piece, if i have more room, i use the larger piece so i can switch positions easier and even lay down if i want. close by, i have a sturdy plastic bucket that i keep all my hand tools ready for use. i have put both hands on either side of the bucket and used that for help in getting up if i need to steady myself. i also have a container to put the weeds in as i work.

i have used a kitchen step stool to sit and pull weeds or prune low plants. i have used the stool as a prop to do various things, like plant, etc. i kneel on the mat and put my upper body over the stool. the stool helps me get up and it's easy to move around.

something like this would probably not work in my garden because of the closeness of my plants, but it does look manageable: https://www.gardeners.com/buy/deep-s...submit&start=3

i don't know if you use a walker, or if you can buy one that has a low seat on it. i have seen walkers that have a place to sit, but in my mind, it seems too high to weed from.

some pics: where i started out when my clay sewer line broke and a 60 ft. trench from the back of my house to detroit's main sewer line had to be dug and a new pvc pipe put in. i waited 2 years for the yard to "settle" before i started hauling in dirt to even it out (about 2000):
    garden progress 1.jpg

after i hauled in dirt, i made a rough outline of what to do and put in a few plants i got on sale (about 2005):
    garden progress 2.jpg

current view of garden from back of my house to the back of my yard (2019):
    garden 8272019 3.jpg

current view from the edge of my garden and cement patio to back of house (2019):
    garden 8272019 2.jpg

i have already transplanted the four rose bushes from the middle of my garden to a line starting at the side of my arbor into the back yard. most of the work i do is moving plants from one place to where i want them, dividing perennials (free plants!) and weeding. i'm in the homestretch now. i have started a veggie garden, about 20 ft. by 8 ft. it's behind the big lilac bush on the right side in the pic of the garden from the back of my house to the back yard (the arbor is right over the bush in the pic). i'm also putting in shrubs and low maintenance plants and some clover lawn in the space in front of my house.

i hope i've given you some food for thought

thank you for sharing and reading,
    jeannie (tic chick)
    Great advice tic chick,
    When I am working on my farm I use a large black barrel. It is stiff and I could not work without if. I crawl along and put items I am harvesting inside the barrel. When I want to get up I use it to push on and raise myself up. My arms are strong, my legs are weak, so this solution works out well!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"