Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When it's earlier than it really is (OT)

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default When it's earlier than it really is (OT)

Tonight is that glorious time when most people gain an hour by setting clocks back, unless of course all of your devices are so modern that they will reset themselves.

It's really 6:30 PM here just now but I'm thinking of it as 5:30 PM.

What are you doing with your extra hour?

If you're looking around for something to do, you could always look at the blogs here.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

Distinguished Community Member

Oh gosh I forgot about that. Thanks Agate I believe that takes place at 2AM. It is now 12:20AM and I thought I was late getting to bed, but I am not because it is really 11:20Pm. Makes me so happy.

3. The following 5 users say "thanks"

PS. I am reading with my extra hour.

5. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

As usual, I don't know what's going on like the time change. But I was up early, made my coffee, fed Sam. Then came back to my bedroom to get online.

Well, the computers time, and the time on my phone were off an hour from each other. So one didn't automatically make the change, but I got them corrected, and now starting my second mug of coffee, while Sam has just placed herself across my shoulders.

Everyone have a great day, and thank you guys for getting me straight on the time change.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

7. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I absolutely detest the time changes, both of them. My body clock is upset by just one hour twice a year. I feel like I have jet lag for at least a week.

This morning, I woke up at 3:30, but of course, now it is 2:30. Frequently, I'm unable to go back to sleep, which was the case today, so I became a rotisserie chicken and tried to turn off my mind until 6:30, which was still 7:30 to me, and too late for me to be getting up.

So far, the day has dragged on and on. Because, as you said agate, "it is earlier than it really is."

The only benefit is the wall clock, which I can't reach, in the office is now the correct time. I had to manually change the atomic digital clock I gave Jim, and I couldn't find the instructions anywhere. I winged it and got it right. Amazing.

Yet, we had a proposition in California to end Daylight Saving Time, and I voted against it. It won't work, unless the entire country does it. If some states do and others don't, it will be confusing figuring out what time it is anywhere.

That may be illogical. I'm not sure, because I'm sleep deprived. Thanks DST.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 11-03-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

9. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

I vote to just end it everywhere. It was originally thought up as a way to help farmers have a longer time in their fields. But those days are gone now. Farming is very mechanized now. It's not needed these days!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

11. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I agree that it would be nice not to have to bother with it. I absolutely hate losing an hour in the spring.

And as for setting clocks--my phones, computer and bedroom clock reset themselves. I'm very happy about the bedroom clock because sometimes it hasn't done that, and I've had to do it. It's a major project involving turning the clock upside down, using a coin to open a little window, and trying to see the settings and tinker with them WHILE making sure I'm not accidentally pressing any of the buttons that are on the top of the clock, which I'm now holding upside down.

All I had to do was reset my watch, the stove clock, and the microwave. I got off easy this time.

There are enough gadgets that always have to be recharged or upgraded or fixed in some way in my life. The DST changes twice a year just make that situation worse. A person feels as if she's spending all of his/her waking hours tinkering with THINGS.

Rose, you're right. Ending it in some states but not others just won't work. Years ago my son was living in Indiana, and at the time Indiana was using 3 different time zones--one part of the state was on Central Time, one was on Eastern time, and another part had opted out of Daylight Saving Time completely. Difficult to make travel arrangements when things are that confusing!

13. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I tie certain twice a year maintenance task to DST such as cleaning the ac filters.

Only a few things change auto such as the cell phone. So, its a race to fix it all and to trouble shoot timing of certain drugs.

When I surfed without a wheelchair, I loved going for dawn patrol. First light and then sunrise. It works itself up to 7:30 and then DST moves it back to 6:30, a less comfy time to get up, eat, pack the mobile up and drive down there.

Course nowadays, you cannot get the w/c until around 7-7:20, so I miss Dawn patrol most of the time so far....still hoping though :)

SPringing forward is the one that causes jet lag for a few days, and when I worked, everyone was always late to their appts the first Monday after :) Funny!

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Experts have been studying this and deciding that DST transitions are bad for our health.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...tm_term=110419

17. The following 4 users say "thanks"

My vote is to do away with DST - not good for my body, which is already shot.
    Virginia

19. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast