Thread: Witch Hazel University

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Witch Hazel University

I wish I had printed all of the uses that Rose and others cite Witch hazel for in terms of effectiveness.

Might it be redundant to ask members, or Rose (as though she isn’t busy enough with fires and life)to list the common helpful uses?

I want to buy some for the house, but wouldn’t know what to use it for!

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

I'm never too busy to help my friends.

Our primary use for Witch Hazel is to reduce swelling and bruising, because it is anti-inflammatory. For example, when I strained my knee and my ankle, I wrapped them in a paper towel soaked in Witch Hazel. Relieved the pain and brought down the swelling, as well as helps the blood flow. We used to wrap Jonathan's knees the same way, because they were swollen from lack of movement and osteoporosis.

Witch Hazel is also used for hemorrhoids and under eye baggage (you could pack mine and take a trip around the world!).

Here's a website with 18 uses for Witch Hazel, some of which I didn't know, but I will now implement:

https://www.naturallivingideas.com/witch-hazel-uses/

It's a wonderful thing. Stubbed your toe? Wrap it in Witch Hazel. Banged your arm or other body part into furniture? Wrap it in Witch Hazel. The sooner the better, because it immediately provides pain relief, halts bruising and swelling.

It's also very inexpensive, available in drug stores, grocery stores and of course, on line.

I hope this is helpful information for you.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking of trying it on my swollen lower left leg.

Virginia, were you reminded of witch Hazel because of Hallowe'en?

Too bad that it's named witch Hazel. I've known a few very nice people named Hazel, and there is a nice rabbit named Hazel in the story Watership Down too.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

My Granny was named Hazel, and she was a nice person to everyone, especially me. As country as a turnip green as they say. She was my dad's mom.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I used Witch Hazel for my swollen fingers that hurt last year when it got cold and I probably will again this year.

I think it was Sunshine who was reminded of it. Could have been Halloween.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry, Virginia. I should have looked to find out who started the thread!
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Insect Bite

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Today, I found a new use for Witch Hazel.

We had an ant invasion in our kitchen. While I was cleaning up the kitchen, an ant bit me. I didn't realize it, until I sat in Jonathan's recliner to watch the football game with Jim. The back of my arm began itching, then stinging and burning. The bite was swelling.

I grabbed the WH, soaked a paper towel, taped it around my arm. Immediately, the itching, stinging and burning stopped. When the WH dried, I removed the paper towel, and the bump is significantly smaller. No discomfort at all there now.

It's good stuff!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"