Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: November Chit Chat Check In

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Well, Sam and I had our meal, and it was SOOOO good. But I really stuffed myself, and did what Sam is doing now, took a cat nap, but I snapped out of it just in time for Star Gate. I don't know if I'll even try to eat the desserts he brought, a whole plate full.
    Last edited by Howie; 11-28-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Birds aren't sold with their giblets any more, maybe?

Back when I did this kind of thing, if I was cooking a turkey or chicken, I always boiled the giblets and gave them to whatever cat was in charge of the household at the time. I chopped them up first. People sometimes said I was a fool to waste chicken livers on a cat but the cats really loved them.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

((((((Happy Thanksgiving)))))) ~

I hope that everyone is enjoying a lovely day. Howie and Virginia, how nice of your nephew and brother to bring you feasts!

It became tradition in my family that the hosts would provide the turkey or ham, and other family members would bring vegetables and other sides, salad, rolls, and desert. My grandmother and aunt baked super delicious pies. In grad school, for those who couldn't afford to fly home for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we did the same thing. None of us could afford to pay for all of the food, so we shared.

I've spent the day in the kitchen, since Jim woke up feeling better and having an appetite. A Tofurky ham is in the oven, fresh carrots, frozen peas, mashed potatoes, veggie gravy, and savory herb stuffing are on our menu. I also made chocolate cupcakes to satisfy Jim's recent craving for chocolate cake. He's not a big pumpkin eater. This is a big step up from soup and sandwiches the past week, so I'm hopeful that he can enjoy it.

Thank you all for your friendship and for sharing your world with me. Jim and I send you our love, gratitude and prayers.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I am glad Jim has an appetite and it sounds like Rose is having a busy day. I do hope they both enjoy it.

Linda, my brother takes his male dog out for a scrambled egg and gravy on the week-ends and Holidays. Sometime they take just a little bit home to the female, but today they went home to eat it and he had to split it with her. She is real funny. She rules the back yard, but does not like to go out front. He loves it. Anywhere my brother goes he loves. I miss having a dog and it really is hard not to share with them. They enjoy it so much even if they do gobble it down quickly. Seems everyone on here agrees that pets are a joy.

Agate, you can get turkey either way, with or without the giblets. I use to boil mine in the water that I was going to use if my dressing didn't look like it was going to be moist enough then I would use the flavored water if I needed it.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Hello and happy Thanksgiving. We had Peter’s Mom over. We made salmon, turkey, boiled baby Yukon potatoes, steamed haricots verte, carrots, asparagus, salad, stuffing and gravy.

We had asked if she wanted turkey or salmon and she said both and asked for the asparagus, too. Fortunately, Roche Brothers had carved turkey by the pound in thick slices so I did not have to cook a whole turkey. Still, lots of pots, pans and serving dishes for just three people. Dessert was pumpkin pie with whipped cream and chocolate chip walnut cookies.

I’m beat. I’m sure you all are too. I love Linda’s ideas for a veggie Thanksgiving! Spanakopita!

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Tgiving went well here too yesterday. I cooked a shrimp casserole dish with Lentil Soup homemade, fresh salad, bread for DH, me and a friend. I was able to function, or atleast look like I was functioning for 3 hours. It was lunch time event since I cannot stay away after 6:30pm...

PT came today and he will discharge me early next week as I have more than met the goals. If I deteriorate, doc can order up more PT. Easy as that.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) I stayed home yesterday. Jim was having 13 including some toddlers and asked me not to bring Lacy. I did not want to dress up get into the van and drive 40 minute, so I begged off.

Andy will bring me a plate today when he comes to do my grocery shopping. I am only sending about 20 Christmas cards this year so I hope to do them this weekend.

I am grateful for all of you and this board. No one else really understands. Jeanie :)

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Well Jeanie, we do understand. As I am sure you have read I stayed at home also. I was lucky to have my brother bring me Thanksgiving food. I am glad you are going to get a plate today. I am trying so hard to do a little more exercise, but it is hard. I hope to get my house vacuumed sometime today.

Sunshine, it was nice to hear you had a good Thanksgiving. The food sounds really good.

Ann you worked real hard. You are right, no matter how smart we try to be about making a meal like you did there is a lot of work. Lots of pots and pans and clean up to do after. I am sure your MIL enjoyed it and enjoyed being there.
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

MiL was here for just two and a half hours. It’s a lot of work for such short a time but I remember when she’d cook every holiday for 8-12 people and send us all home with leftovers. When Peter was growing up, she’d cook a dinner for the family she worked for and then come home and do it again the same day. You gotta respect that! I am grateful for her.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

John and I stayed home yesterday. It was pleasant. I just said to John that we were almost the only people who did not overeat yesterday! Strange but we really enjoyed the day. So, for us, I guess it was a day for giving thanks.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast