Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving: November 2019

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Keep on Moving: November 2019

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

REMEMBER: this is a keep on moving thread, not keep on exercising! Any moving is important— it doesnt have to be “exercise”! Even Science proves that...

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You mentioned pushing the wheelchair wheels. That takes considerable effort. When I am anywhere where I have to do that, I always feel as if I've had quite a workout even if I just have to travel a short distance.

There are special gloves you can get to cut down on the damage to your hands. I've banged my knuckles on doorframes so often that I'm seriously thinking about getting some.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Pushing a chair on carpet, for example, raises my blood pressure due to the exertion involved. Not a bad thing, just an index of the difficulty of rolling across carpets.

Today I swam 1/2 mile plus 50 yards in 27 minutes.

Later on in teh morning, I walked for 3 minutes: my record. Resting now. Per PT, I am supposed to walk 2 minutes 45 seconds 3x daily. Seems like early afternoon is more feasible in terms of spasticity.
    I also did my other excersise. I will do the ones of getting onto the floor and back up again soon, at least once.

And getting up and down from a chair without pushing up on the chair arms.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

That’s a lot of swimming and congrats on the walking!

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, you did really well today. When you say PT has you getting up from chair without pushing on the arms, I am wondering if he chose a certain chair for you. Just wondering about the height of the seat of the chair.

Swimming distance and time were really good today. PT must be pleased with that.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I just love that all of you are moving and staying active. I feel that is extremely important to maintaining good health, or the best health we can have.

My morning walk is vital to my ability to keep functioning all day. Some mornings, I am dragging, but I know that after I've walked my mile in the "fresh air" (well, not lately, but usually), I will have less pain and more ability to accomplish what needs to be done. Jim is sleeping in the mornings now, because radiation causes major fatigue. I tiptoe around him and take my walk. A few hours later, when he wakes up, he asks me, "Did you take your walk?"

My answer is "Of course!" Once I'm out there, I'm glad that I'm out there. I have to keep walking. Otherwise, I my RA and osteo will be a problem all day, with every movement. Walking is pain relief for me, and exercise releases endorphins, which target pain. Also good for our hearts, our BP, and our overall well being.

And even though the daily radiation treatments for Jim are tiring, he is better off for having them, because it forces him to get up out of bed, walk to the curb, climb in and out of the car, walk to treatment, walk back out, climb, walk when we get home. Before this, his exercise consisted of walking to/from the bathroom. Today, he actually offered to bring in the trash bins from the curb! I said, "No!", of course.

Sunshine ~

You are rockin' it! Your progress with PT is showing in your swimming now. I'm so very glad that you are finding relief with Ativan, because it is freeing up your world in so many ways. Are you still taking CBD and THC? If so, is it helping you?

Keep moving, everyone.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

TY Rose: Yes, still taking same dose of MMJ and it helps., although it’s not as necessary. May eventually try to stop a dose and see what happens.

Great for Jim!

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

October step count average: 1,165 steps/day--using the old pedometer.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I over did it on Friday with too much walking, laundry and stair climbing.

Last night I awoke with bad spasms in my left hip. I eventually took a Tizanidine and went back to sleep for a few hours. I was so tired, I stayed home today and missed a lunch I wanted to go to.

Even after all of these years (since at least 21) I need to be reminded not to over do.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Ouch ANN< dont be a big shot!

Moved this post from agate from the oct keep moving thread:

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    A couple of years ago my health care plan (United Health Care) was offering "rewards"--gift cards every time you have a medical exam, flu shot and a couple of other medical procedures. I took advantage of these but noticed I hadn't heard any more about it for a while. Today I went to the Website and learned I should have renewed it every year. So I renewed it.

Now I could earn up to $110 in a year for hooking up my pedometer to their system--and taking 7500 steps a day for at least 5 days in a row.

My pedometer isn't the type that can be hooked up to anything, and I don't think I'd be anything more than a puddle on the ground if I tried to do 7,500 steps a day. But it's interesting that the health insurance people are making an effort to get people to walk more.
    email UHC and ask if there can be a modified requirement for severe disabled. Point out it discriminates against the disabled who need accommodations. Point out that disabilities are already impoverished and that the extra perk means a lot. Tell them what you do every day despite severe MS disablility?

That will get their attention.

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast