Thread: OT..Sweetness all around

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default OT..Sweetness all around

I don’t really know how to tell the unique story from today’s market in Northampton. I will relay the events.

At some moment I noticed a slender young mother with her young son who was excited by my sunflowers. I guess he was around 4 or 5. I walked over as he was fumbling with a sunflower that was in a bouquet of 4. As soon as I asked if I could help I realized the boy did not understand me. He was Chinese and speaking earnestly about a very large sunflower. His mother told me he wanted the seeds. I held out the entire bouquet for him to take. More whispering between mother and child.

The mother told me that they could not take them all. They were staying in the nearby hotel and leaving for New York come morning. But the boy was still fumbling with that big sunflower. Here he was in a strange place connecting to my sunflower. I explained to them both that the seeds were deep in the flower head. The mother translated. Hmmm...the boy still touched the sunflower searching. I realized this was a unique moment but did not know what to do. A mesmerized child, a gentle mother and my huge sunflower.

Ah, give him that one sunflower! That will work. My friend, Kerry, who had stopped by helped extricate that one sunflower from the bunch. Oops. There was a bee guzzling nectar from the flower head. The boy jumped back. His mother said he was frightened. While the boy watched I lifted the bee, drunk on nectar, and placed it on another sunflower. Oh! This was just too interesting. So when I again handed him the sunflower to take with him he accepted it.

I wonder if, at the Wiggins Hotel in Northampton MA, late into the evening the boy was digging out the hundreds of seeds buried inside.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 10-13-2019 at 04:54 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An encounter with a sunflower turns into an encounter with a bee! Lifting a bee out of a sunflower takes courage, it seems to me.

You probably made that little boy's day!
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

This is life: moments strung together.

Thank you,
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is life: moments strung together.

Thank you,
    ANN
    Yes...that’s the way I think of life too.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

There's beautiful kindness in your heart, Laz. I'm sure you made his day. You made mine by sharing that lovely moment. Thank you.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

What an absolutely beautiful story. One befitting an illustrated children’s book. And the hotel name, “Wiggins” is perfect for this book/story as well. I am going to pass it on, if it’s okay with you...

Thank you for taking the time to tell us this true story, straight from the heart. Were most of us able to savor these kinds of precious moments, the world would be full of beauty and peace.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What an absolutely beautiful story. One befitting an illustrated children’s book. And the hotel name, “Wiggins” is perfect for this book/story as well. I am going to pass it on, if it’s okay with you...

Thank you for taking the time to tell us this true story, straight from the heart. Were most of us able to savor these kinds of precious moments, the world would be full of beauty and peace.

Thanks.
    Linda~~~~

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"