Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peaches is sick

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Default Peaches is sick

All day yesterday and last night Peaches was 100% -- playing, dancing and demanding treats -- her usual self. 5:30 this morning she wasn't on the bed. I ran searching for her and couldn't find her. Finally I found her in a closet. She lifted her head when I spoke to her but didn't move. I talked to her but she wouldn't move.
    At 8 I called the vet and they said they had a totally full day!!
    I could bring her in and the vet would check her when he could. Yikes. What else could I do? I loaded that poor, now terrified cat and drove her 7 miles.
    They will phone me when he has time to see her.

Now the other poor cat, Peaches' brother, is scared. He's hanging on me and I can't move an inch.
    Thanks for listening to me.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

jingle ,

i am so sorry peaches is sick. i think animals do hide when they are unwell...it's built into their brains to lay low when they aren't feeling good so that they won't be prey for other animals.

there are so many reasons peaches could feel unwell and you won't know until the doc sees her. i hope he sees her soon! yes, give peaches' brother some treats and pet him, but try to go about your day as normal because he senses you are scared.

i hope you get news about peaches soon and that she'll recover and come right home.

(((((hugs))))),
    jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Thank you very much for caring

Well, Peaches is home and feeling fine ……. (her brother is very upset to have this strange smelling thing walking around. I know that will end soon.)
    The lovely vet, I do like and respect that man, phoned me twice to tell me what they were doing and what it costs. It costs $145.95. $145.95 for a well cat. But they ran a "Biochemical Profile, Wellness", gave her two injections of stuff …. even checked her sugar level. He said there were many reasons she hid in the closet and didn't feel well but it looks like it was minor and looks like it's over.

Just yesterday I had called the office to get an appointment for their annual check-ups and vacc. They were supposed to call me today to set the appointment. Now it's set … we'll see the doc Friday at 4 PM

4. The following user says "thanks"

jingle...

WONDERFUL! news!

yes. vets are expensive, but they have to run tests, which cost money. now, she won't have to have that "biochemical profile" done at her annual check up. it's a good idea to do basic tests every year, just to make sure something doesn't sneak up on you. of course, if a pet gets suddenly sick, it's a different story. you have to find out what's wrong.

i have to take nora, my dog, in every 3 months to test her kidneys and liver because of this truprofen med she takes for her arthritis. plus, she is 17, so the vet checks her out, too. it costs $75 and then her meds are like close to $35/month. she beat lip cancer, malignant, but one side of her lip is a little shorter. no matter. we still love her.

it's like people...the older we get, the more stuff that can go wrong. you're being a good mom to her.

i'm like you...if my furbaby is acting weird, i want to go to the vet right away. over the years, i've calmed down...a bit..lol. i think..was she fine yesterday? then i wait to see if she goes to the bathroom normally. diarrhea is no good, or if they cry when going to the bathroom. i see if she drinks water. if everything seems okay, i just let her be weird that day (i am weird some days,too). i keep an eye on her. if everything goes well, i don't call the vet. if anything is off plus the weird behavior, i make a vet appt. sometimes you trust your gut, though.

i always think it's better to spend the money and find out everything is ok or something mild that can be cured is going on. it's when bad news comes that i am sad and think, "did i miss something?" but, they are our furbabies.

((((hugs for all))))),
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 10-08-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks again, Jeannie ……. I'm close to hysterical and I don't know what to do. There are no after hours vets in this area . And what can a vet do now? Every possible test has been done. Peaches seemed to feel so good -- when I opened her box she hopped out, tail up and trotted around for a minute --- then trotted down to the basement. She did not eat or use the litter box.
    I looked for her several times and didn't see her - then started to panic and searched and searched and searched. Just a bit ago I finally found her curled in a small cardboard box in the basement. That poor cat is sick. She's still there. I don't know what to do.

jingle ,

how is peaches today?

i know you're worried. has she ever crawled in boxes before like this? could it be she's confused because the days (sunlight), are getting shorter? is she sleeping all day? did she eat today?

you have a vet appointment friday. i know it seems like a long time. just write down here behavior to tell the vet.

i don't know what else to think about peaches behavior, but you jingle. stay calm. she's either well, because the tests show nothing, or she's sick and might need more tests. maybe bake some cookies to keep your mind and body busy.

i don't know what more to suggest, but i do care about you both.

jeannie

8. The following user says "thanks"

Jeannie -- Thanks again. I appreciate your responses so very much. I'm alone except for the cats so they mean the world.
    Right now Peaches is curled up tight between my arms. I keep the keyboard pushed back because a cat is always demanding to nestle in front of me.
    Last night Peaches finally came upstairs and asked for food which she wouldn't eat. She asked for treats and I offered her several kinds but she wouldn't eat any.

I had to go out this morning and when I returned some cat had thrown up again. I don't know if it was Peach or her brother. But Peaches is curled up infront of me purring hard.

jingle...,

if the cat throw up is mostly yellowish and watery, it's probably peaches, because she hasn't eaten much and she is throwing up bile. if it has some food in it, it's probably her brother (what is her bro's name?)

does peaches have a history of eating stuff like kleenex or cloth? just asking. has she used her litterbox yet? yes, i think something is going on if she hasn't eaten, is refusing treats and threw up.

maybe call the vet, tell them she isn't eating and she threw up. maybe someone cancelled an appointment. ask them if they could possibly get you in before friday or if someone cancels, to call you. maybe you've done that...if so, sorry for repeating.

i'm glad peaches is curled up by you. she feels safe.

i'll keep checking back on you .
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 10-09-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Hi Jeannie … Peaches is again sound asleep across my arms and I have to type slowly with much difficulty. She demanded to be picked up and put on the desk and then plopped. I think that means she's well. ??
    I think the vomit was her brother Bacat's …. Badcat throws up a lot. I think he just gobbles too much, too hard -- and it usually has a hairball. Badcat is the cat's official name. When I got these two from the local humane society they were so tiny, so needy. They were in the "back room", scheduled to be put down that afternoon. I promised myself I would be a good mom and look carefully for good names.

The 'Cat Lady' at the humane society told me how wild they were and how difficult it would be tame them, how hard and long I would have to work. I carried their box into my condo, opened it next to the prepared litter box and told them to look around, I was exhausted, they were now free and I was going into the bedroom and lie down. I hit the bed and both of them were there within seconds, curled up on my chest and sound asleep. I cried myself to sleep.

When we got up those two horrible tiny monsters started breaking things -- especially the big, male one. Within two days he had smashed most of the nice things I own. All I did was bellow, "Bad cat, stop it. You are a bad cat. No, bad cat!!" I screamed "bad cat" so much it stuck. His official name is Badcat.

jingle....,

laughing so hard at how badcat got his name! reminds me of the show "friends" and how phoebe wrote this song called "smelly cat".

well, i hope peaches starts eating. maybe she has a hairball also? i don't know much about cats, although i did have one when i was about 9. her name was "calico" and my mom's friend from work gave her to us (i don't know if my mom was happy about that).

we got nora first, as she is a german short haired pointer. my youngest daughter named her. the woman we bought her from had named her "anorah" because the pups were born on st. patrick's day and she tried to give them irish names. so we just shortened the name. nick came to use about 18 months later. my husband looked out our bedroom window into the yard because we were having a thunderstorm. he told me there was a dog sitting in the middle of our yard. i don't know if someone put nick there, or he climbed our fence when the thunder started. anyways, i went outside and he was shaking (he retained that fear throughout his life). i brought him in the house and dried him off. we gave him something to eat. nora just loved him. she was so happy. nora is a very assertive dog, an alpha dog. nick was laid back, definitely shy and didn't care that nora was dominant because she played with him.

we tried to find nick's owner, but not too hard. he was happy with us and he kind of feared when we rattled newspaper, so we think he might have been hit with a rolled up paper. i named him nick because of a tv show called nick and nora (well before my birth), that i had heard of and because it went well with nora. so, it was nick and nora until nick got very sick and i put him down last year.

now it's just nora.

jeannie

13. The following user says "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast