Thread: O.T....this morning here on the farm

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default O.T....this morning here on the farm

And so I was up early to cut and bunch sunflowers to send to the market today. I took my scooter with two flower buckets filled with water. That is convenient because I can cut and bunch flowers and put two elastic bands around each group of 5 sunflowers all in one smooth step.

Having created a perfectly efficient system I was happily cutting and bunching during the dayís first light. Right before sunrise. As I worked I heard a solid chirp, chirp. No, maybe it was a cluck cluck. No, that was not quite it so I looked around to find the bird making such a singular and loud sound. Nothing. It is hard to spot a bird standing still in the woods.

Then I spotted the flicker of a tall dark figure. Hmm. Ah, it was a deer. Standing still and watching me. Maybe 75í away. Yes,I thought, this is so perfect. Idyllic.

But, as you know, second thoughts often alter the mindís pictures or thoughts. This deer is still watching me. It is pretty big. Why is it still clucking at me? I was putting the elastics on the last bunch of sunflowers and I decided to talk nicely to the deer just in case it needed reassurance. As I spoke sweetly it started to move and so did I. My scooter and I turned and headed back to a busier area of the farm. Bambi headed off to the side and turned toward deeper woods. The two of us ended our engagement in this way.

p.s. The sound is called a bark and the big deer had antlers so I was not just imagining. He really was big!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thank you.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never really seen a deer in the wild. Several times someone I was with called my attention to a deer but all I saw was a flash of something. Deer must be real experts at getting out of sight fast. They've learned a thing or two.

Lucky you--you had a better look!

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I have seen deer on our highways and some in our neighborhood. However the best view I have had was in the mountains. It was a protected area shortly before dark and we saw a herd.

There were two albino deer in the herd.

Like Linda we just happened to be there at the right time. It was beautiful.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Do deer ever charge at people unprovoked?

Isnít it deer that spreads Lyme Disease tic?

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Like Linda I wouldnít tempt one especially with antlers Sunshine.

When I was working I knew a man who did business with us and he was on his way to a town about 1 1/2 hours from us. It was early in the morning and a deer ran out right in front of him. He hit the deer and it came. thru the windshield and almost killed the man. Of course it did kill the deer.

I have a Nephew who owns a very large truck that he sometimes puts a large trailer behind. He usually starts out on the road very early in the morning and that is one of the things I have a concern about.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Yes. Deer ticks spread Lyme. Which I have/had
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"