Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelchair use: What to do about skin breakdown?

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

Here's an article by a dermatologist about the differences between Udder Cream and Bag Balm. Jon's nurse is a big proponent of Bag Balm over Udder Cream.

https://www.winonadailynews.com/news...871e3ce6c.html

Edited to Add: This link about Bag Balms ingredients:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm

I noticed all of the parabens and polypropolene glycol in Udder Cream. There are none in Bag Balm.

Another treatment we tried, with some success, was Butt Paste. It worked a little for awhile. Mind you, Jon's entire backside was covered in wounds, so treating it was a huge challenge, and we were never successful.

I'm sure you'll learn a lot from the Spinal Cord Injury forum.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 09-25-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Thanks, I ordered Bag balm and should get it tomorrow.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

My dad’s vascular surgeon had my mom put bag balm on my dad’s diabetic feet.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I started Bag Balm. Its amazing stuff in terms of how it feels. It is healing cracks in my finger too.

I am hoping it will do the trick. I take it you put a thin layer on the skin?

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

So glad you're using Bag Balm. It is good stuff. Yes, a thin layer is usually sufficient. If it's healing cracks in your fingers, then you're probably using the right amount. Here's to a healthy bum for you!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I started Bag Balm. Its amazing stuff in terms of how it feels. It is healing cracks in my finger too.

I am hoping it will do the trick. I take it you put a thin layer on the skin?

Yup! Healing cracks in fingers. When my farmer hands are cracked I often put in on my hands and then put nurses type gloves on overnight. By next morning cracks are healed. Use it on cracked foot skin too. Apply and then put socks on.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I have udder balm which I am finding on here is not as good. My udder balm is very greasy.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

then you wouldnít like the Balm Bag.

I have both. The bag balm works better so far. The Uddercream works well, not as well though, but its not as greasy in terms of having to wheel the wheel chair after applying it, and I need it on my two fingers.

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Sunshine ~

I recommend using nitrile gloves (or latex, if you're not allergic) to apply the Bag Balm. You might also try applying it at night before bedtime, especially if you want to use it on your hands, when you don't have to use your wheelchair.

Virginia ~

I haven't used Udder Cream, but based upon the ingredients list for it and Bag Balm, I feel Bag Balm is healthier. Our nurse, Nancy, swears by Bag Balm, and she's had success with it for many of her patients through the years.

Love & Light,

Rose

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12