Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back to Beth Israel in Boston

Distinguished Community Member

I wish you luck, Linda. I’m glad that John will be home.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Good Luck Mighty Mouse :) You hold yourself to an impossible standard! Your 30 year old self is scolding your 70year old self for not being like a 30 year old.....

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Linda)))))) ~

It seems that medical care these days is "treat 'em and street 'em." This is what happened to Jim in April. He'd been admitted via ER near death, and 40 hours later, he was sent home, because "Medicare won't pay for him to stay in any longer." However, Medicare would pay for him to be housed in an unsafe "acute care facility" for at least a month. Fortunately, I have the knowledge, experience, and time to care for Jim. Otherwise, I'm sure he wouldn't be here with me today.

I do hope that you have located a home health nurse, or private duty, which is usually 8-12 hour shifts. It would be helpful if the hospital discharge nurse coordinated with you for John's home care needs.

He should have home health care for at least a month after this procedure, I would think, especially given his age. In your shoes, I would call the discharge nurse and ask for that to be established via the hospital prior to discharge. I know it's way too late on your side of the country to do this, but if you could call sometime during the night, leave a message with the night nursing supervisor to ask to speak to the discharge nurse before sending John home, you should be able to get some assistance.

This is how it works on my side of the country, and it should be universal. If you aren't ready or prepared for John to come home, then services need to be put in place so that John has proper care during his recovery. You can't possibly be expected to know how to care for him and what to look for as far as rejection or infection. That's what home health nurses do.

Please advocate for this assistance for John and you.

You are mighty, awesome, and incredible, but you also have MS and a farm to run. You need help. Tell this to the hospital and get some help.

Thinking of and praying for you both ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 09-20-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I did not do anything to make sure John had attention today while I go to market. Just so overwhelmed and John is very stubborn...so, should I aggravate him or not. Big decision. I went to bed. Also a big decision. He was great when he got home. Feeling really tired and out of sorts a few hours later. It will get better soon.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Laz, Roseís advice is excellent and borne of experience and intelligence.

Choose to aggravate John. The consequences are far less than if you donít aggravate him and then his recuperation is derailed.

Wives across America aggravate their husbands incessantly when it comes to health. It is why married men live longer than single men....

I know its true for me and DH... I am always aggravating him about this health and that health issue. I saved his life 2 years ago doing that. And this week aggravated him so much, I believe it could have saved his lift this year.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I can hardly believe it! Last Wednesday Beth Israel called John to come to Boston immediately. That night they implanted a pacemaker. He was home on Friday and has been recovering. It has only been 5 days since that phone call. And Thursday he will be back in Boston for a checkup of the surgery site etc.

What an amazing disjointed sense of time I am experiencing.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Linda)))))) ~

How did John's check up go today? I was thinking of and praying for both of you. Do you have market on Saturday? I hope you're finding time to rest.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

John’s doctor’s are pleased and said he could resume activity. (Not farming)....more later. Yes, I do my market in Northampton.
    Linda~~~~

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thats terrific news Laz!

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123