Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Gabapentin

Distinguished Community Member

Default Back to Gabapentin

The itching on my face, across my forehead and down the left side has become almost unbearable. It is really making me a nervous wreck. It has gone on so long. Started a year ago on Labor Day, so now over a year. I was on 3 100mg gabapentin daily, however a number of months ago I cut back to just taking 1 100mg at night. The itching has gotten steadily worse. My forehead is still red from the shingles, but it is the itching that is driving me nuts.

I am scared of this drug. I don't remember anyone on here who is on it. I think Ann was taking just one 100mg capsule occasionally which would be fine. But to take two or three every day for a long time is scaring me. I have been reading about the side effects and they can be bad.

Anyone with any information please tell me. Gary was on quite a high dose, but I don't know what happened to him with the gabapentin and if he remained on it.

I miss Cherie. She might could give me some information.
    Virginia

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Here's a post by Gary about gabapentin:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...ntin#post44749

You can find other posts by various people if you type "gabapentin" in the "search this forum" window at the top right. Check "search posts" instead of "search threads." Looks as if Howie may be taking it.

And stillstANNding's cat (!).

I'm sure we all miss Cherie. I hope she'll return some day. Maybe if she could figure out a way to "code" the names of people whose information might not be meant for the entire world to see, that would be a solution for her. I recall seeing this done sometimes, even if it's just "DH" for "dear husband" and "DS" for "dear son," etc.

And didn't stillstANNding talk about Pizza Guy before they got married? Everyone who'd been reading her posts knew who she meant but people just popping in (or bots just popping in) wouldn't have been able to figure it out.

I didn't mean to change the subject of your thread, Virginia.

P.S. This has to be some kind of a record. There are currently 4,001 guests browsing this forum.
    Last edited by agate; 09-08-2019 at 10:09 PM.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I WAS on it, and had taken it for years, no problem. I was taking 200, three times a day. The doctor at the time started me on it because I started having seizures. It stopped them immediately. My new "nurse practitioner" took me off it, which I'm not sure why, but after being scared I would have another seizure for the first month off it, nothing happened, so life goes on.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thanks for the links to people who have used it. I believe Cat was on a low dose for lingering effects from shingles. The itching just kept up where she had the Shingles. Same as with my face. My face is actually sore and tender and is beginning to look rough across my forehead.

Howie glad you didnít have any problems coming off it.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Maybe a trip to the doctor is a good idea Virginia?
    Ask doc about the pros and cons?
    I coincidentally PMd my neuro about Neurontin yesterday in the event that I have to be without MMJ for a week or so. I asked about dose, problems, addiction potential etc.
    When he replies, I will let you know.

The SEís of all meds are daunting, even aspirin. But, you can put it in perspective of the effects of NOT taking the meds. For you, it is very very awful, likely interferes with sleep, may shorten your life due to the impact of the itching on your life? (For example)

I miss Cherie too, loved hearing about her life, her concerns about people and her DH. She bared her soul here, which I did admire, even if I was more private about my own life.

I can understand her needing to assess how much info she put on the internet and figuring out how to return. Maybe as a new persona?

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I take 300mg every night along with cannabis (thick oil specially formulated for me) for both insomnia, spasms and cramps and it works great. No side effects, except wobbly during the night so I have a commode by the bed. 300mg is considered a low dose so 100mg is super low. It is an old drug, cheap and used a lot. I used to use Horizon which is a more efficient uptake wise (bypasses the stomach) slow release modified gabapentin, but because I need to get to almost a pass out level to fall asleep I use old Gabapentin since it works right away. I have used 300mg for several years. I never take it nor cannabis during the day

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Virginia, My neuro said that it’s okay to take the gabapentin with the other drowsy side effect medications I am on (muscle relaxants etc) . He said to expect to have some sluggishness and drowsiness. He said that The dose should be 300 mg spread 3-4 times during the day. It can be increased to 5 or 6 times per day if the pain is not controlled. This is only for the couple of weeks I might not be able to use MMJ and needed some way to address pain off of MMJ.

This might or might not apply to you, but gives you a a basis to wonder about and talk to your doctor. Please let us know how you are doing. I am concerned about your pain and its impact on your quality of life...

Snack, thank you very much for your insight. It is invaluable to all of us people with MS who have pain related problems.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 09-10-2019 at 01:33 AM.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thanks to Snack for your input on this. I appreciate all the information I can get. I am taking other medications that are kind of heavy so I get concerned. I am going up slowly so I am on two right now, but I am due to go up one more which will put me at 300mg per day, which is the same as you are taking just spread out.

Sunshine, thanks so much for letting me know what your Doctor had to say. I agree it is time for me to talk to my Doctor again about this. It was a year Labor Day since this all started. Enough already! I am tired and worn out. I have had more spasms lately and wonder if it is because my nerves are just stressed from not getting any relief.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Just wanted to add you might wonder why I take both gabapentin and cannabis. It is because cannabis actually does not reduce my cramps anymore. It used somewhat the first 3 year I took it, enough to only have to get up a couple of times and walk around a bit. This is why I started gabapentin, but cannabis also works great for me on any pain I have, I simply rub the oil where the pain and or itch is and it is most often gone within 10 min, also works on my spasms, but sadly not on the cramps.

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

So Snack are you saying you take the cannabis orally and also rub it on when needed? When you rub it on do you use the lotion? I know you said you take the oil orally.

I can’t get the cannabis in this state but I can get the hemp lotion - very expensive.
    Last edited by Virginia; 09-11-2019 at 01:46 PM.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast