Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: September Chit/Chat

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for starting this month's chit chat thread with the kind thoughts of Peg and her family, Virginia. I hope her family is doing okay. The upcoming holidays will be difficult for them. She would be making and canning her chili sauce about now and feeding the hunting crew. I'm sure she is sorely missed there. Here too.

Agate - Enjoy that little guy, they grow up so fast. First steps, how exciting! Now he'll be into everything! I can just hear the pots and pans clanging and banging!

Laz - What are haricot verts? I wondered if that was a typo or if it is something I've never heard of, maybe related to an apricot?
    Long ago, when we lived in S. Calif., we had an apricot tree that produced the sweetest, juiciest, biggest fruit. I don't know what kind of apricot they were, but I sure wish I did. I made and canned lots of jam every year. Dried them too. The fruit did not keep or travel well because they were so juicy. I couldn't keep up with all that now, but I sure would love to taste an apricot like that again!
    I love sunflowers, I bet they were spectacular!!

Jeanie - Is it possible one of your sons could come and stay with you, at least during the worst of the storm? I don't like the idea of you being alone, especially while you're recovering from your injury. Just a thought from a professional worrier!
    In any case, prayers for all in the path of the hurricane.

Son and family were supposed to come for the weekend, but Everett and his Mom got sick, so they didn't come. I was so looking forward to time with my favorite boy and he was so excited to come too. My son called and said he's feeling much better today and is driving them crazy, constantly saying he wants to go to Nana and Grampa's. Hoping they can arrange to come sometime next month when our daughter and Tula come also. Tula planted some pumpkins in May again this year, so both the grandchildren can pick some pumpkins to take home for jack-o-lanterns and pumpkin pies.
    Haricot verts...green beans. They are thin French green beans. Nothing like average solid beans that I also grow. These are sometimes called Filet beans.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Hi everyone. Nuthatch your grandchildren are adorable. I only have one and he is 31 now and not married yet.

I slept late which was easier because the room is dark with the shutters up. I am feeling a little good about not having so many diapers changed. Hopefully soon I can stop using them at all.

It is bright sunshine outside and some wind but not awful yet. Dorian could move closer as it is almost stationary. It moves slower than you can walk. Some feeder bands are coming ashore now and then. The winds have dropped to 145 mph.

Both Andy and Jim have animals to care for so I am fine being alone. I have the emergency button on my burglar alarm system and Andy is about 5 miles away. He calls every few hours to check on me.

The Bahamas are really suffering as it just sits over them. They are showing our beach and the waves are unbelievable. I am inland over 7 miles and on a high lot. Years ago our street flooded and the kids took the canoe out there, but it never came up to the house.

I'm praying for all in the path. Jeanie :)

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I canít believe what I did today. I am surely turning into a second Howie. I got up late after going to bed at 1:30AM again. I ate breakfast and set down in a chair and went to sleep. Slept 3 hours.
    Now I think I will go shower and wash my hair.

Howie, this is all your fault. When I donít sleep tonight I will know who to blame.☺️

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

You mean sweet, innocent Howie?
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Smile

:) Heartbreaking photos out of the Bahamas. Here it is still sunshine and on and off winds. I will be so grateful if my temporary carport roof and my back porch roofs stay in place.

Will post more as it goes. Jeanie :)

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thanks Jeanie we want as many updates from you as you can.

I donít think we have heard from Sunshine today. Hope all is well with her.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Haricot verte (skinny green beans) are So good!!! Too bad Chris is working Saturday. I would love to come
    and get some of those and your Asian eggplant.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssusan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haricot verte (skinny green beans) are So good!!! Too bad Chris is working Saturday. I would love to come
    and get some of those and your Asian eggplant.
    Been a tough growing year...almost no eggplant anyway. And this is the first time we had really perfect haricot verts.
    John has just gone back to markets after weeks and weeks of illness. He is in Amherst on Saturday. Been a long haul this farm year.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Whole town is boarded up and ghost like. ...still relatively calm here. Still have power and internet....
    People out walking according to cam. No one is driving, no cars in sight. Must be people who are walking distance from teh water. ...

A few feeder bands came through last night. That was it. Its due east and slightly north of Jeanie right now.

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Smile

:) I am so happy my carport and porch roof are still intact. It is sunshiny and windy. They just announced that Dorian increased it's speed by double. It was going 1 MPH and now it is 2 MPH.

Feeder bands bring intermittent showers. No flooding at all where I am. Every TV station is doing non stop Dorian so no shows to watch. I have watched METV when I do turn it on. Also doing crosswords and playing computer solitaire.

Sunshine I hope you fare this well. Tomorrow may be worse but I hope not. Virgina and Howie may get this one too. Jeanie :)

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast