Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: September Chit/Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, he is in his own home and all caregivers evacuated. So he is alone, which is why I am so concerned. He has a son, but his house is only about 1/2 mile further inland and his daughter's house is on a river that always floods her basement. He said he didn't need to be in that. Also son's pregnant daughter and her husband are staying with him and his wife. I think someone should go and stay at my ex's house. He has a beautiful 4 bedroom house. He just will not let them leave their own families.
    Virginia

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Sounds as if he's determined to be the hero. I hope he'll let himself be persuaded.

Better yet--I hope that Dorian calms down or changes its course.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Virginia, is there a way to alert your local authorities about needing to rescue him after the storm passes and why? Ask them if there is a way for them to alert his local authorities about his condition so they can get him afte storm passes?

I doubt he will have phone, wifi, internet or power.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Virginia I am sorry Dorian is growing stronger. I am praying for you and all those who live in the path.

It is back to hot feel like 105 today and sunny. Jeanie :)

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, I would not do that. His son and daughter live in same town and will get to him, if all communication is out, as soon as they can I am sure. He is like me in that he doesn't want to put people out. He didn't use to be like that.

I did see this morning that Dorian is back down to cat 2. He told me that his windows were supposed to withstand winds up to 100 miles per hour, but I saw that gust could be 130. I am not sure if that was where he lives or one of the other beaches. We have so many in N.C., now that I have been away from them for awhile I sometime get confused about where they are located. I do not get confused about Wrightsville Beach or Morehead because I spent too much time on them, especially during time I was with him. At that time he had a house that was right on Wrightsville. Of course we were healthy then and he would board up the house (or have his son and son-in-law do it) and he and I would sit it out here in Raleigh. The last I heard tonight was to be the worst and then it will head on out tomorrow morning.

Jeanie, I am sure temps will get back here like you are talking about once Dorian goes on by.

Guess I better check news again, since I haven't seen it in a couple of hours.
    Virginia

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Ah, That makes sense Virginia, more comforting to know someone can get a rescue troop to him if he is out of touch and surrounded by water.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Thinking of you tonight, Virginia. I haven't posted much because my internet access is very spotty from minute to minute. I'm lucky tonight to be able to post this!

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) It sounds like most of North Carolina is without power. I hope Virginia is okay. Howie too. Jeanie :)

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thanks Nuthatch and all. Everything is good here. Just a little breezy, otherwise a beautiful day. Heard from my former husband just a little while ago. He did not loose power, no flooding, no big limbs down. Such a difference from last year. When Florence went near that area the whole town of Wilmington was cut off from the outside world for two days or more. Then it took much longer for stores to get stocked up on food. Flooding was really bad. I can't remember how long he was without power, but it was a long time, at least 4 to 5 days and it could have been a week. This time he did have some snacks to eat on and since he is not eating much snacks make him a meal.

Wilmington is a beautiful old town, but going in you have to cross the Cape Fear River at one end and then at the end where he lives is Wrightsville Beach and the intracoastal waterway. So lots of water down that way. The hurricane is still battering some of our coast line on up North of him. I got tired of watching it because that is all that is on TV. He said he got tired of it yesterday and today he has it off.

Nuthatch, do you know why your internet is so spotty?

I woke up at about 4:30 this morning so I decided that by then we were not going to loose power since we had not already, so I got up and put some soup on in crock pot and went back to bed.
    Virginia

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Jeanie, we were posting at the same time, so you have had a chance to read my post. I too hope that Howie didn't see any affects from the storm. I thought about some towels and sheets that are in my upstairs that I am not using anymore. They are good, I just stopped using them and went on to another color and I think I will get everything together in case I hear of anyone taking up anything for the Bahamas. If they need that kind of thing I can give some and maybe pick up a bag of groceries. Some of those people are really hurting.
    Virginia

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast