Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: September Chit/Chat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While others are coping with hurricanes and still managing to come here and post, my only problem has been dealing with a printer that failed.

It failed a few weeks ago but this happens to be the time of year when I need it most. I have to get a lot of documents together for eligibility reviews, and it's much easier with a printer. But the beloved printer I've had for 17 years developed a paper jam I couldn't fix. I even partly disassembled the works inside and still couldn't fix it.

Then my son remarked that a 17-year-old printer is "ancient" and offered to provide me with one he happened to have lying around and was no longer going to use. On Saturday he brought it--and even installed it.

I definitely wasn't looking forward to installing it. I hate having to tinker with computer settings and cords.

So I now have a combination printer/scanner I need to learn all about. I've printed some things already. Now to move on to the scanner.

One of these days I'll actually get rid of the old printer and scanner by donating them to the Vietnam Veterans, who are very efficient about pickups and will apparently take these items. (I wish them luck with fixing the paper jam because I simply can't fix it. My son couldn't fix it either. There is no more tech support for this printer that I can find online--and of course I still have the user manual, but it was of no help.)

Technology is moving so fast that everything you buy is apt to become a device that is "no longer supported" in the twinkling of an eye.

Anyway, dealing with this has been keeping me occupied. I also had to get a stand for this new gadget because I had no surface that would fit it. I put the stand together the other day, and--for a wonder--it turned out to be very easy to assemble.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Well after 17 years of service, give it a decent funeral. That is a long service life!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well after 17 years of service, give it a decent funeral. That is a long service life!
    Longer than many cats!
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Thumbs up

Unfortunately true!

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Oh Ann, now you've upset Howie. You know when it comes to Sam he is like one of us hens.

Agate, you have been doing a lot. Now you can just print away. I am not sure how old mine is. It was a Christmas gift one year, way back when. I expect it is getting to be about the age of yours. Scares me. I will have to hire someone to come out and install a new one when it happens. I have loved this printer. My problem is, when the paper jams, I can't turn the knob on the back to get to the paper because everything is so old it is now stuck. Guess last time I was able to do it I should have tried a little WD-40 where it turns.

I wonder what is happening now with Sunshine since Dorian's speed has picked up a little. They are still saying heavy rain and strong wind gust here on Thursday and maybe into early Friday.

Howie, are you even going to get any rain?
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

The heavy rains and wind are beginning and end by noon tomorrow. I found a very cool FPL map where you can see where the outages are, how many homes, and est time to repair. You can also report an outage . So, I assigned that chore to a sibling up north since if no power, no phone, no internet.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

WPB was really spared a tremendous heartbreak when the storm stayed just offshore. But, the heavy rains there are going on and will all night.

I think FPL is on it and repairs will be done within 3 days tops, except for a renegade house here and there...

And to think this was to be a direct hit Category 4. Next time I will evac in a cat 4 threat.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

Virginia, nothing but sunny skies so far.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nuthatch, nice to see that Tula still has the curly hair. Cute photos!
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, maybe you and DH should begin now to decide how you are going to evacuate should you have to in the future. I am referring to everything that you would need to take with you. I think you had mentioned that with everything you have to prepare and carry it would pose a problem.

Hope you get away without losing power. They are already predicting that there will be power outages where I am. I dread it. Losing power is really bad in my opinion.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast