Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sinking in

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeannie for me it is getting into the mindset, build determination, pray for strength, deal with the emotions that come with saying goodbye to a 'best friend'. Make quitting an obsession. I have already been through this twice, first with crack, well, and everything else and then with smoking, so I know what I need to do. For a while I had this thought that the next time I go into the hospital I am just going to quit smoking then. Don't know where this ignorant ass thought came from because I do not want to go into the hospital again. I think it is my 'best friend' talkin, trying to find an excuse not to quit soon.

Rose I can't believe I missed that one during my quest for help at the end of last year when I intended to quit smoking. Thank you. I will add it to my arsenal. CBD is a fantastic idea, especially since my pain levels are climbing and it will help so much with the withdrawals. I already have a pen I will just need to buy the cartridges.

I did not get to see the cardio yesterday. They only did the scan and I was already scheduled for a follow up in frickin' February. No....so am scheduled to see him Oct. 1st. I plan to call and check for cancellations to see if I can get in before then.

When I told the nurse tech about the 40% blockage she said that is just a measure amount they use. It is either up to 40% or over 40% and I am in the up to range so it may not even be 40% it may be lower which may be why my original cardio never said anything. Matters not any amount of blockage is too much.

I looked in my cupboards when I got home from my test and just cried. I was trying to make something for lunch but everything is stuff that is not good for me. I can have no bread, no dairy, no bread, no cheese, no sandwich meat, no pasta, no bread ( iknow I already said that but that really hurts), cereal and for some reason lately my look at milk has changed to where I don't even want to drink it and I can't pin point what it is, everything we eat is white and full of carbs and useless calories. I buy fruit and veggies and half of it winds up going to waste because we don't finish it all before it spoils. Which would require me to make more trips to the store and I have no transportation. There are so many conflicting reports of the right way to eat. Everybody agrees more fruit an veggies, paleo says only healthy meats, vegan no meats, some say stay away from legumes, everyone says start slow, make one meal a week healthy and then continue to add. Jared is over two hundred pounds, because we don't eat right and he doesn't get any exercise. I mean none. He sits in front of his computer all day every day. He wears the weight well as he is generally thick like his dad and almost taller. I don't even know if I can afford to change our diet so drastically. We have almost cut out fast food but that is only cause I can't afford it. Jared is losing some weight slowly due to that. And we need to stay away from the pop and chocolate.

We need to exercise, I need to exercise like my life depends on it. i have an exercise chair and a Gazelle which I do use once in a while but I have discovered it tears up my knees so I need to get the chair back out. And everywhere says to meditate. Meditate, meditate, meditate oh and gut health, take care of your gut and your gut will take care of you. My poor gut, I feel so bad for it. It is tore up and my belly is big and full of big gas bubbles and I take all these medications. 15 I believe. That sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen right there. I am sure I am low in D3, could use fish oil and calcium. I don't know why my doc hasn't recommended calcium, my doc before him was a woman and she recommended it to me when I was in my 30s.

Went to physical therapy and I think this might be different and a lot more pain relief focused as opposed to doing an hour's worth of exercises from which it takes me days to recover from so I wind up rescheduling the next.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 09-04-2019 at 09:17 AM.

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Chris)))))) ~

Please make sure that the CBD oil cartridge is 100% pure CBD with no other additives or chemicals. No polyproplene glycol ever.

Regarding your diet, both you and Jared would benefit from changes in your diet. If you stop buying junk food, then you'll discover that you can afford healthy food. My suggestions are:

Eliminate red meat. It is difficult for a body to digest red meat and can take days for it to fully process through the system. It clogs arteries, causes prostate cancer ... the list is endless. It's just not good for the human body.

Watch your sodium intake. No more than 1500 mg/day. Sodium raises blood pressure.

No more soft drinks, including diet, because artificial sugar tricks the body into believing it's sugar. No weight loss there. And the artificial sweeteners have their issues too.

Switch to water. This keeps you hydrated and helps to keep your liver and bladder flushed. Also, very important to bowel regularity. Add some lemon or lime or orange juice to the water, just for taste, if you can't manage it plain.

Reduce your sugar intake significantly. Sugar just has so many things wrong with it. A small quantity is okay, but too much can be disastrous for our bodies.

Once again, I'm referring you to the Forks Over Knives website:

https://www.forksoverknives.com/

Take some time and watch the movie. With Jared. The health transformation of the participants in the film will inspire you.

You're doing this for yourself and for Jared, as Jared needs a healthy diet too. And he needs you to stick around.

Exercise: Take a walk around the block. Or on your property. Get a pedometer so you can keep track of your steps. Get something like a Futuro knee brace to protect your knees. You also need some good walking shoes. Start slow and work up to longer walks. Take Jared with you.

Thirteen years ago, I was 40 lbs overweight, and my blood pressure was sky high. I was grieving heavily for Michael, and Jonathan's health began declining, with an emergency surgery to save his life, when he got his colostomy, then 4 months later, pneumonia and a broken hip at Christmas, followed by a year of wound care. I was eating for comfort.

I immediately started walking. At first, I could barely make it around the block. Eventually, I was able to walk 3 miles in 30 minutes around my neighborhood. These days, I'm lucky to do 1 mile in 20 minutes, but I'm old and in pain with RA and osteo, plus on my feet all day/night as a caregiver. Still, I'm out there every day, when it isn't raining or there isn't a crisis. It feels good to walk outside.

If you eat properly, you'll have more energy and initiative to get healthy.

Grocery Shopping: Check Instacart to see whether it is available in your area. I use it weekly, at least, and it has been a Godsend for me since January 2018.

Change your point of view from "I can't do this/that" to "I can and I will do this/that." You know you have gumption, Chris. Put it to work to heal yourself. If you should need surgery, you want to be in the best health possible at that time. Start now.

You're in my prayers, Chris. I know you can do this for yourself and Jared. And you know you can too.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose I think of Forks OVer Knives every time I turn on my computer or think of BT or you. I have watched it three times and even looked up vegan recipes for meat lovers. There is a lot out there. We are both big water drinkers so that is not an issue. The trick is to turn off that pop craving. Switching to sparkling water really helped both of us but then you have to be careful because of the salt. I have already cut my intake of salt for both of us except for what comes prepackaged.

Cutting out red meat will be hard as we both crave meat but we love fish and fowl so maybe ease more of that in. We love veggies and Jared swears he is allergic to peach family foods but I think it was just a one time thing but he likes apples and grapes and berries and other fruits.

My counselor in rehab told us that if we are giving up an addiction to do one at a time. Failure is more likely if trying too much at once. They never bothered us to quit smoking because we had all given up our drug addictions or were trying. I waited three years after that to quit smoking. Took three tries but we did it. I had support then.

I wish it we had started the walking last spring. now it is getting ready for winter and we won't be doing much walking around here. I told my PT that I wanted to be able to get on my bike and ride. My house backs onto a path that was built by the county that goes from one side of the city to the other and I see a lot of bike riders and walkers there. Jared even expressed a desire to learn to ride. Blew my mind. No my child cannot ride a bike. I was so disappointed when he threw in the towel.

I know what I need to do, I know how to do it, I have the skills and the knowledge now it is a matter of making my will stronger than my addictions to food and cigarettes.

Another issue I have is cooking. I cook dinner every night and pay for the standing time but Jared is left to his own devices for other meals which means he might have a bowl of cereal, every once in a while he will make himself something easy during the night. Chicken nuggets, a sandwich, another bowl of cereal or whatever was left over from dinner. Our hours are different and that is all my fault. I am up early and he sleeps all day then is up all night playing with friends. Does this mean I need to make his meals to start or just offer healthy alternatives, I can't picture him nibbling on carrot sticks then munching an apple and being satisfied or happy about it lol.

If I was to get rid of everything that was not good for us my kitchen would be pretty much cleared. I will be grocery shopping week after next I will check out some appetizing easy cheap dishes to start with that could be appealing for him.

Love Instacart and have used it quite a few times. One of my local stores offers it to EBT clients you just have to pick up. Can't be delivered but I like that you can make an order to pick up at a later date. So I can go right from recipe to shopping and arrange to have transportation at that time.

I still have my motivational chalkboard with some sayings on it I need to work on that, some rewrite and add ons, get back on to therapy regularly and Nan can help me with things, another person to be 'accountable' to. Last time I used post it notes everywhere and had some projects planned to keep myself busy, LOL washed walls in the entire house last time. Can't do that now but I do have lots of crafting hand work that can be done.

Another thing is that you guys are the only ones who know. I have not told anyone else. I did make a comment on FB about quitting smoking due to my health and my ex "SIL" told me to call her. I have not yet. I know that I will cry so I have been putting it off. I don't want to tell Jared because I do not want to lay another burden at his feet. He is already so anxiety ridden it is terrible. My SIL will be matter of fact about it and try to be a comfort and give advice. I will not find any comfort and she will tell my ex "MIL" and she will be hysterical about it and act like I am dying.

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Chris)))))) ~

It sounds like you have a good handle on what you need to do. This isn't your first rodeo, and you've been successful before. Just keep reminding yourself that you've been successful and will be again.

Until winter weather arrives, you can still take a walk. Get out there and start walking or riding your bike on that path. It will help you immediately. Fresh air, sunlight, exercise. When cold or inclement weather prevents walking outdoors, you can come up with another exercise option. Housework is definitely a form of exercise, and its rewarded by a clean, tidy home. The busier your hands and mind are, the less time you'll have to smoke or think about smoking.

When we gave up red meat, we replaced it with chicken, ham, and turkey. I don't like fish, although Jim does. We gave it up when Mad Cow disease was in the news. I immediately discovered that my digestive system improved significantly. I also had more energy. Red meat makes the body lethargic. Once your body feels better, you'll lose that craving for red meat.

We gradually gave up chicken and turkey, with ham the last to go. We saw the movie "Babe," and that was it! "I can't eat Babe!" I cried.

We have all been healthier for being vegetarian. We still eat eggs and cheese in moderation. You don't have to become a vegan to eat healthier.

Healthy, tasty snacks like blueberries, almonds, granola bars ... can replace the unhealthy snacks. It's just a matter of getting used to new foods.

You don't need to tell anyone about your carotid artery findings. But you can tell people, including and especially Jared, that you want to be healthier and feel better. You could say something like, "I'm getting older and don't feel as well as I should or I could. So, I've decided to eat better and exercise. I'd love it if you would join me for a walk every day or as often as you can. I want you to be healthy too. We can do this together and give each other support."

Jared would benefit from time away from his computer, out in the real world, around nature, fresh air, etc. I'm sure that you have your way of communicating with him to reprogram his thinking about eating and exercise. If he sees your dedication, he might be inspired.

Replace the negatives with positives. The "I can't" with "I can and I will."

You don't want to burden Jared, but what if something happens to you? You need to take care of yourself for him, as well as for you.

You are needed and loved. Love yourself. Feel your self-worth. You deserve to be healthy, happy and live a long life.

Sending prayers your way every day for strength and healing ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

8. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

potatoes have nicotine

leave all tobacco with a friend
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12