Thread: OT. The story of my very good day....

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default OT. The story of my very good day....

Last Saturday was a very good day. In my old life it probably would have seemed a very fair day but now I realize.....a lot.

So, my very good day started in the days before the farmers’ market. I have spectacular plants that I have been growing so even though the crops were thin I had a lot of plants. And John had some really attention getting fig trees. I sold enough plants to compensate for crop losses.

My brain was lively so I had fun, clever conversations, warm human contact with strangers. One couple just moved from Minnesota. They were surprised when I said Medtronic! And probably more surprised that I understood the ramifications of the company’s move to Ireland. They nodded when I put myself in the category of the stock owners who were caught in that whirl. Probably they were stunned that they engaged the first farmer they met on their first visit to the market in a conversation about politics they knew well. And then they bought a fig tree.

My very good day continued when I looked up to see a familiar face...my neurologist who retired 2 years ago. Before I saw him I heard that slow, low and sweet voice..:,.”Linda, this is Dr. Baquis. I have some iced tea. I want you to sit down and drink it.” So he sat down on the ground and I knelt in the midst of my plants. We talked for a half an hour often stopping to talk to the customers who simply picked up what they wanted to buy and came to me with plants, potatoes, peppers or eggplant to hand me the money and often engage with the two of us in idle chitchat. My old friend insisted on a hug when he left. And he bought Red Thumb Fingerlings. Potatoes I used to bring to him at my appointments.

And then my very good day ended with really great happenings. All was done, trailers unloaded stuff put away and coffee was ready. One job was worrying me. My scooter had batteries so weak that they read empty after short distances. This is a scooter made in NY by Palmer industries. Solid. Big. Farm worthy. The batteries weighed over 100 lbs. each. I had ordered them and they got here. The driver called to say he was 20 minutes away so I was prepared. That in itself is good. The driver was a very nice guy who actually saw two old farmers and got the shipment’s little pallet to a useful location. I was sure I could replace the old ones myself. But, as luck would continue to have it, we have a neighbor who has been living in his truck for the last two weeks. He moves his truck around close to our house’s end of his field. I like this guy as a neighbor but the marriage is dissolving. Back to the scooter. John went out and asked Kevin if he wanted to replace my scooter’s batteries. He did. John, Kevin and I did the job. Kevin got $50, John got the joy of being part of the job and I got an end to my very good Saturday.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 08-26-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 9 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Three cheers for you, Linda! Having a good day when you have MS getting in the way is far from easy sometimes but you've done it!

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Good for you, Linda! I enjoy reading your posts about your life, even though I may not comment. Wishing you many more very good days!

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Great story Linda and a most excellent day, so alive, so engaged and engaging :)

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I really value your day, Linda and truly understand how meaningful these serendipitous interactions were for you.

They nourish the soul, don't they?

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, I celebrate your fortuitous Saturday with you!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

SuzE-Q!!! Welcome back, we've all been concerned and missing you!

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Suze-Q, so good to see you. How are you doing?
    Virginia

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"