Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pull up for poop accident in Car ride to doctor?

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Bladder incontinence is tough enough to deal with, but bowel incontinence is, by far, harder to deal with, especially if you are wheelchair dependent and cannot stand or transfer on your own. It causes a lot of anxiety about going out in public, leading to self isolation. I wish that I had answers for you. The fact that it is a medication induced issue compounds the problem.

The thing that has helped me the most is to have a very regular routine daily. The body eventually becomes trained to "perform" at the same time every day. I even eat the same breakfast every day because the slightest change in diet tends to mess up the schedule! As long as the schedule and "performance" is maintained, the anxiety is greatly reduced. I schedule all doctor appointments etc. for the afternoons so as not to rush the "schedule".
    I once had to bee-line it out of a doctor's waiting room because of an unexpected "event". Humiliating!!!

There are suppositories that make things move. Many people with spinal cord injuries use them daily.

Wish this wasn't a reality for you. Hugs.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Rose, sorry I misunderstood about the portable toilet. I've had no experience with portable toilets except for the commode I have.

Yes, bee-lining out of situations is very much something I'm used to. I had a major problem when seeing a new neuro once, years ago. When I finally got to the washroom (in the midst of the appointment, having to apologize) and discovered what had happened, I was very embarrassed and cleaned up as well as I could. In a hurry, it wasn't easy and I probably did a terrible job. But later I figured that a neurologist surely must realize that these things happen with neurological patients....and if he doesn't realize, then too bad.

I wear pads constantly. They don't hold all of a BM but will contain some of it. Carrying extra clothes and pads and a plastic bag for putting the rinsed-out clothes in and transporting them gets to be a routine but the "bowel-management program" nuthatch mentions is also my way of trying to make sure that these problems don't happen very often.

A strict routine--I get up and eat meals at pretty much the same time every day, go to sleep or take a nap at the same time every day, and eat more or less the same type of food every day, with considerable attention to the amount of fiber I'm getting.

One nice thing about a vegetarian diet is that you often avoid constipation even though you have more frequent and bulkier stools.
    Last edited by agate; 08-26-2019 at 09:20 PM.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rose, sorry I misunderstood about the portable toilet. I've had no experience with portable toilets except for the commode I have.

Yes, bee-lining out of situations is very much something I'm used to. I had a major problem when seeing a new neuro once, years ago. When I finally got to the washroom (in the midst of the appointment, having to apologize) and discovered what had happened, I was very embarrassed and cleaned up as well as I could. In a hurry, it wasn't easy and I probably did a terrible job. But later I figured that a neurologist surely must realize that these things happen with neurological patients....and if he doesn't realize, then too bad.

I wear pads constantly. They don't hold all of a BM but will contain some of it. Carrying extra clothes and pads and a plastic bag for putting the rinsed-out clothes in and transporting them gets to be a routine but the "bowel-management program" nuthatch mentions is also my way of trying to make sure that these problems don't happen very often.

A strict routine--I get up and eat meals at pretty much the same time every day, go to sleep or take a nap at the same time every day, and eat more or less the same type of food every day, with considerable attention to the amount of fiber I'm getting.

One nice thing about a vegetarian diet is that you often avoid constipation even though you have more frequent and bulkier stools.
    Excellent explanation of a workable routine.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Sunshine I wear the Depends diapers every day now. At night I get the night ones which hold more liquid. The pee is absorbed quickly and you stay dry. I have also put a long pad in the diaper when I go out.

Bladder retraining after 4 months with a catheter is slow but I am having less accidents now and soon may be able to ditch the diapers. Jeanie :)

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Default No diapers here

I stop whereever and poop or pee. I have had a neurogenic bladder and bowels for 25 years. Diapers and poop=bladder infection. Wet diaper = BV. I just wave at people driving by, but “modesty” to me is not worth the infections.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I stop whereever and poop or pee. I have had a neurogenic bladder and bowels for 25 years. Diapers and poop=bladder infection. Wet diaper = BV. I just wave at people driving by, but “modesty” to me is not worth the infections.
    Welcome back, snack!

I agree that modesty just can't be part of the picture sometimes.

I do have a question. Does BV = bacterial vaginosis?

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Hi Snack welcome back. I am wondering the same thing as Agate about BV.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12